PDA

View Full Version : Things needed to be done to get democracy back in the USA

jumpyg1258
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Here are some things I think are needed to be done to get democracy back on track here in the USA. Im listing ones I havent heard Dr. Paul talk about yet but maybe he can help get this done! :D By the way if you got any suggestions on whats needed, list them in this topic.

Create a Bill of Government Accountability that lists what specific punishments the government will face if it violates a persons rights that are detailed in the constitution. That'll put the f*ckers back in their place and leave us the heck alone.

Get Diebold out of the voting process and go back to paper ballots.

Require a mandatory recount of all election votes eliminating our current way of you gotta pay to have a recount crap. Why cant this be done?

If there isn't one already, create an independent police force of sorts to investigate corruption in the house and senate by its members. (i think there is one already but they do not have any jurisdiction, its done by members of the house and senate and they're not going to punish themselves)

FreeTraveler
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
This is NOT a democracy... it's a Republic. :)

jumpyg1258
01-17-2008, 09:45 PM
This is NOT a democracy... it's a Republic. :)

Actually its a democratic-republic, if your going to try to be technical on us.

asgardshill
01-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Create a Bill of Government Accountability that lists what specific punishments the government will face if it violates a persons rights that are detailed in the constitution. That'll put the f*ckers back in their place and leave us the heck alone.

Ummkay - fine on its face. But how does one "punish" a faceless entity like a government? Punish the crooked little worms WITHIN the government who are doing the bad stuff.

Get Diebold out of the voting process and go back to paper ballots.

Election fraud existed long before Diebold came on the scene (does "Landslide Lyndon" and the Box 13 fiasco in the 40s ring a bell?), and will continue to exist long after they're gone. Granted that hackable voting machines are a terrible idea, paper ballots are no panacea or guarantee of honest and fair elections.

Its hard to make any process completely foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Require a mandatory recount of all election votes eliminating our current way of you gotta pay to have a recount crap. Why cant this be done?

Because you would double or more your costs to hold an election is the only downside I can see to this. And what if the same crooks who cooked the books during the election itself are the ones conducting the recount?

If there isn't one already, create an independent police force of sorts to investigate corruption in the house and senate by its members. (i think there is one already but they do not have any jurisdiction, its done by members of the house and senate and they're not going to punish themselves)

Interesting idea here. But how do you select these incorruptable champions of the common man? I don't know of any Constitutional way to NOT have them beholden to the Congress in some way for salaries, operating rules, et al.

jumpyg1258
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Ummkay - fine on its face. But how does one "punish" a faceless entity like a government? Punish the crooked little worms WITHIN the government who are doing the bad stuff.
It has to do with who was in charge of the office doing the violating, im sure there would be lots of specifics, thats something decided by a committee.

Election fraud existed long before Diebold came on the scene (does "Landslide Lyndon" and the Box 13 fiasco in the 40s ring a bell?), and will continue to exist long after they're gone. Granted that hackable voting machines are a terrible idea, paper ballots are no panacea or guarantee of honest and fair elections.

Its hard to make any process completely foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
True but with paper ballots at least theres some transparency unlike the 1's and 0's of memory on a diebold machine.

Because you would double or more your costs to hold an election is the only downside I can see to this. And what if the same crooks who cooked the books during the election itself are the ones conducting the recount?
Well if thats true, why do we even bother trying to get recounts currently?

Interesting idea here. But how do you select these incorruptable champions of the common man? I don't know of any Constitutional way to NOT have them beholden to the Congress in some way for salaries, operating rules, et al.
Could be public elections just like we select many other public officials.

Naraku
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
This is NOT a democracy... it's a Republic.

I'm really getting sick and tired of this BS. We live in a democracy and a republic.

Democracy is just a form of republic where the people rule, in our case through elected representatives.

asgardshill
01-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Well if thats true, why do we even bother trying to get recounts currently?

Bingo - my point exactly. If the rascals are rascally enough to cook the books during an election, its a major leap to assume that they're going to have a sudden change of heart and conduct a recount honestly.

I don't see any reason why all paper ballots cast during an election could not be scanned/facsimilied and posted on the Internet somewhere for anybody to count themselves. The technological hurdles to doing this are trivial.