PDA

View Full Version : Brokered Convention, Explaination?

Phunbaba
01-17-2008, 08:25 PM
While I pay attention to politics fiercely, I must admit that I have no idea what a brokered convention is and how it benefits Congressman Paul. I understand that there hasn't been one in over 60 years.

Can someone clue me in? Thank you kindly.

Paul10
01-17-2008, 08:28 PM

billjarrett
01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't know the specifics, but I'll try to help.

From what I've heard, a candidate needs over 50% of the candidates come convention time to prevent it from ending up brokered.

When the candidates go to the convention, most are bound to vote for the candidate that they "preferred" when they got selected. However, if nobody gets 50% in the first vote, they are no longer "bound" to vote for that candidate and it becomes brokered. They can then intermingle and convince people to vote their way or vote for their second choice or whatever in the next vote.

TruePatriot44
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
The delegates each state sends are supposed to vote for the candidate the state picked. However, if nobody has a 50% majority, all the delegates can vote for whoever they want.

Phunbaba
01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you all. So it turns into a caucus-like event.

twdahm
No one has 50% + 1 delegates. This doesn't help Paul because none of the people going to the Convention will switch to Paul. It'll be like the Wyoming Caucus.

if the messages continues to get out and the economy continues its decline it is very possible that they would vote for him by the time of the convention..

RPinSEAZ
It benefits Ron Paul because it gives us a couple more months to get our message out and in a sense gives us a second chance.

lynnf
01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
No one has 50% + 1 delegates. This doesn't help Paul because none of the people going to the Convention will switch to Paul. It'll be like the Wyoming Caucus.

except that it is better than going to the convention with one of the other "major"
candidates having it already locked up!

lynn

Phunbaba
01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
if the messages continues to get out and the economy continues its decline it is very possible that they would vote for him buy the time of the conention..

Yes, alot can and will happen between now and then.

Paul10
01-17-2008, 08:48 PM

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-17-2008, 09:00 PM
It benefits Ron Paul because it gives us a couple more months to get our message out and in a sense gives us a second chance.

No thanks. I think we should see where we are after Feb 5th (as Dr Paul has said) and then make some serious decisions, like gearing up for an independent run if the GOP nomination is out of reach.

Jimmy
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know the specifics, but I'll try to help.

From what I've heard, a candidate needs over 50% of the candidates come convention time to prevent it from ending up brokered.

When the candidates go to the convention, most are bound to vote for the candidate that they "preferred" when they got selected. However, if nobody gets 50% in the first vote, they are no longer "bound" to vote for that candidate and it becomes brokered. They can then intermingle and convince people to vote their way or vote for their second choice or whatever in the next vote.

Is that about the time Ron Paul stands up at the mike and announces to everyone is a very smart ass but polite way that he is going to take all of his supporters to an independent run if they do not elect him...and killing there hopes of a republican in the white house? That would be priceless...if possible...HeHeHe

Jobarra
01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Glenn Beck actually talked on this tonight. Of course he only mentioned Romney, McCain, and Huck as the major contenders, but the GOP strategist was on there and someone(forget if it was Glenn or the GOP guy) said something about going up to Paul delegates and offering them positions in the cabinet or adopting some of Paul's policies in return for their vote. I was thinking just how stupid that is going to sound to a Paul supporter. "Oh, so this guy that was LAUGHING at Paul while he was talking about this problem is going to adopt it to heart? Go... Oh Hey, Frank Luntz... yourself."

idiom
01-17-2008, 09:45 PM
They are adopting them as we speak.