View Full Version : Capitol Hill Blue editor endorses Ron Paul

Bradley in DC
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/cont/node/3010

Yes, I support Ron Paul for President
July 27, 2007 - 2:08am.
In the end, he's the only reasonable choice

By DOUG THOMPSON

I voted for Ron Paul for President in 1988. No, that's not a typo. Paul ran as the Libertarian candidate in that election. I'm a Libertarian at heart. I voted for Ed Clark when he ran as that party's candidate in 1980.

If Paul manages, somehow, to end up on the Presidential ballot next November, I'll vote for him again, although it would mean holding my nose and voting Republican.

Yeah, I know. At this point you're shaking your head and asking: "Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy who raised questions and expressed doubts about Ron Paul?"

Yep. Guilty as charged. But that was Doug Thompson the journalist talking, the reporter who has a sign hanging over his desk that says "if you're mother says she loves you, confirm it with a second source."

But Doug Thompson the citizen doesn't always listen to his alter ego the journalist and I can't stay home and not vote on Election Day. In 1988, Ron Paul was the only candidate on the ballot who believed in smaller government and sound fiscal policy.

Today, as I look over the crowded field of Democratic and Republican candidates for President, I realize the only candidate whose political views come closest to my own is, once again, Ron Paul.

Paul had guts enough to buck his party and the President and oppose, from day one, the Iraq war. A few other Republicans, like Chuck Hagel, have come to share his view, but they weren't opposed from the beginning.

I also share Paul's belief that we need less, not more government. And I believe he is a rarity in politics: an honest, decent man who puts his country above party and his convictions above political expedience.

With that said, I still have reservations about his opinions on abortion. Even though he opposes letting the federal government determine a woman's right to choose he does favor letting the states legislative on the issue and the true Libertarian in me says any and all governments - local, state or federal - should butt out and leave the decision up to the woman.

I accept Paul's explanation about the statements attributed to him on racial issues. As a former press secretary to two Congressman and a chief of staff to a third, I know that staff can sometimes put out statements in a Congressman's name that have not always been cleared. I did it more than once. So have others.

I don't base support or opposition to a candidate on single issues. Instead, I look at the record as a whole and, at this point, I believe the record of Congressman Paul is the closest to what I would want in a President.

So I'll vote for him…if I get the chance.

And that's the big if.

I can't vote for him if he's not on the ballot and to get there he has to secure the GOP nomination - a daunting challenge against well-funded candidates like Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney and probably Fred Thompson.

The latest public opinion polls still have Paul at 2-3 percent. He's generating a lot of buzz on the Internet and volunteers from around the country report signing up thousands of supporters and drawing large crowds at campaign events. But translating that buzz into votes in primaries and caucuses remains a major hurdle.

Still, with voter anger at the status quo at an all-time high, there could, and should, be people out there willing to take a chance on a long shot. Jesse Ventura pulled off the impossible in Minnesota to take the governor's race a few years back.

Ron Paul's biggest political liability at the moment is his affiliation with the Republican Party. A large number of voters would rather vote for the devil than for a Republican - any Republican - and after seven years of George W. Bush one can hardly blame them.

But the Democratic front-runner, Sen. Hillary Clinton, voted to allow Bush to invade Iraq and has yet to apologize for doing so. She supports keeping troops in Iraq in a reduced capacity that would still place American lives at risk.

I hope Ron Paul makes it. I'd like to vote for him.

The real question is whether or not I will be able to.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I was just about to post this...

I was suprised to see Doug Thompson come out and support Ron Paul.

I know he retracted those hit-pieces from the weeks before, but I couldn't help but still think Capitol Hill Blue had some kind of agenda against Ron Paul.

It's good to see Doug come out and endorse Ron Paul. Hopefully this is genuine.

Original_Intent
07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
W:eek: W

nayjevin
07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
doug reports:

don't do what it takes to ensure that the candidate you want is a choice come election time. sit around and wait and see if others do it for you.

i could give 2 shits what party i have to register for. i'm voting for what i want.

specsaregood
07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I was just about to post this as well.
WTF?
This guy is no more credible than any random drunk on the streets of any major city in the U.S.

spacebetween
07-26-2007, 11:09 PM
WTF?
This guy is no more credible than any random drunk on the streets of any major city in the U.S.

I echo your statement...

WTfreakin'F

LibertyEagle
07-26-2007, 11:09 PM
W:eek: W

Ditto!

spacebetween
07-26-2007, 11:13 PM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Capitol_Hill_Blue_s_Doug_Thompson_Yes_I_support_Ro n_Paul_for_President

If you care to Digg...

Ron Paul Fan
07-26-2007, 11:15 PM
WTF?

But with this guy on our side Ron Paul will get more exposure than he's ever dreamed of!!!! I agree with you. This would be big news if it was Clint Eastwood or Kurt Russell. Who the hell is this guy?

spacebetween
07-26-2007, 11:17 PM
But with this guy on our side Ron Paul will get more exposure than he's ever dreamed of!!!! I agree with you. This would be big news if it was Clint Eastwood or Kurt Russell. Who the hell is this guy?

All I really know is that he falsely asserted that Bush called the Constitution a "goddamn piece of paper."

Credibility? Not so much. This is kind of weird.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-26-2007, 11:21 PM
All I really know is that he falsely asserted that Bush called the Constitution a "goddamn piece of paper."

Credibility? Not so much. This is kind of weird.

He's still a newsmaker in D.C.

spacebetween
07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
He's still a newsmaker in D.C.

Indeed... but news can be spun. :) I think we're all definitely well-aware of that one.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Indeed... but news can be spun. :) I think we're all definitely well-aware of that one.

Yea, and I'd rather the news be spun in the direction of Ron Paul...

spacebetween
07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Yea, and I'd rather the news be spun in the direction of Ron Paul...

Me too, of course. But can you just imagine Fox News/Drudge Report headlines:

"Online blogger who attributed false statements to President Bush endorses Rep. Ron Paul"

Here's to hoping for the best of this. I still think his change of heart is kind of strange.

Kuldebar
07-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Awesome news, I knew there was a reason I didn't join the lynching mob out for Doug's neck. ;)

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Me too, of course. But can you just imagine Fox News/Drudge Report headlines:

"Online blogger who attributed false statements to President Bush endorses Rep. Ron Paul"

Here's to hoping for the best of this. I still think his change of heart is kind of strange.

I'm not to worried about Fox/Drudge/CNN/M-S-M headlines... Actually I hope they DO pick up on the story because it just means more exposure, more press for Ron Paul.

smtwngrl
07-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah! ;)

It's definitely a surprise. But, then, Ron Paul's campaign seems to be full of just this kind of surprises. :D

Having read past posts on this forum by Doug Thompson, I'm inclined to accept the article at face value.

And Doug, you aren't supposed to wait to see if you can vote for him in the General Election. You are supposed to do what all of the other Democrats, Libertarians, Independents, Constitution Party members, etc., who support Ron Paul, do. Register as a Republican so you can support him in the Primary Election. ;) :D

GreenApples
07-26-2007, 11:44 PM
The guy is a chump. Make that Chump with a capitol C.

Read this:

I ask readers to remember that three people post comments under the heading of "editor" or use my login ID to edit articles and that when I post a comment, an article or a column I always sign my name to it. If it does not have my byline ("By Doug Thompson") or my postscript at the end ("--Doug" or "--Doug Thompson") at the end, I did not write it.

Copied and pasted from his blog by TexMac here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6003

Anytime he writes a controversial article or makes a statement that he may want to retract at a later date, he doesn't sign the article.

What do you know! He didn't sign this article endorsing Dr. Paul... http://www.capitolhillblue.com/cont/node/3010

The guy wants traffic to his website because there are a lot of RP supporters on the net. Hell, he hardly gets any traffic as it is: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=www.capitolhillblue.com

This is the same guy that ran all those really nasty articles about Dr. Paul and then took them down saying that they were written by someone else.

Check out this website to see about all of these mystery editors that he "fires" when something goes wrong. http://www.journalisnt.com/

Edit: Fuck Capitol Blue Hill.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-26-2007, 11:49 PM
The guy is a chump. Make that Chump with a capitol C.

Read this:

Copied and pasted from his blog by TexMac here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6003

Anytime he writes a controversial article or makes a statement that he may want to retract at a later date, he doesn't sign the article.

What do you know! He didn't sign this article endorsing Dr. Paul... http://www.capitolhillblue.com/cont/node/3010

The guy wants traffic to his website because there are a lot of RP supporters on the net. Hell, he hardly gets any traffic as it is: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=www.capitolhillblue.com

This is the same guy that ran all those really nasty articles about Dr. Paul and then took them down saying that they were written by someone else.

Check out this website to see about all of these mystery editors that he "fires" when something goes wrong. http://www.journalisnt.com/

Edit: Fuck Capitol Blue Hill.

Ummmm, Doug Thompson DID sign his article endorsing Ron Paul... Right under the headline it says: "By Doug Thompson"

GreenApples
07-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Well good for him.

I still think he's a shady unhonest character and I won't be visiting his site. Read this: www.Journalisnt.com

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Well good for him.

I still think he's a shady unhonest character and I won't be visiting his site. Read this: www.Journalisnt.com

Yea, I've read it already. They make some good points, and I'm still a little suspect of Doug Thompson myself, but I welcome all the support possible for the Ron Paul campaign.

GreenApples
07-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Yea, I've read it already. They make some good points, and I'm still a little suspect of Doug Thompson myself, but I welcome all the support possible for the Ron Paul campaign.

I'll bet you a six pack he retracts and/or deletes the endorsement. :D

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Only time will tell... Keep an eye on the story, we'll see what happens from here.

Kuldebar
07-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Well good for him.

Now now, no sour apples...err grapes, this is good news.

If Old Beelzebub himself wanted to vote for Ron Paul, I wouldn't deny him, but I would draw the line at any cabinet position...and well, maybe not a publicized endorsement. Well, dammit, you get what I mean?

Bruehound
07-27-2007, 05:23 AM
This is shocking. I thought it was a spoof.

I say "welcome aboard the love train, Doug....you can either get onboard or lay in front of it"

Dan Klaus
07-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Glad to have Doug onboard..forgiveness and understanding are the keystones that should be extended to all who see the light of liberty...

Doug Thompson
07-27-2007, 06:46 AM

I'll take that bet. When you lose you will have to pay me with a six pack of Diet Dr. Pepper. :rolleyes: I quite drinking on June 6, 1994.

--Doug

micahnelson
07-27-2007, 06:55 AM
teetotalers for Ron Paul

Johnnybags
07-27-2007, 06:59 AM
myself, time will tell, but he is correct, Ron is the only one that will reign in Gov't.

freelance
07-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I'll bet you a six pack he retracts and/or deletes the endorsement.

I was thinking the same thing.

markpa
07-27-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm thankful for the decent article. It all adds to name recognition.:D

lynnf
07-27-2007, 07:29 AM
I'll take that bet. When you lose you will have to pay me with a six pack of Diet Dr. Pepper. :rolleyes: I quite drinking on June 6, 1994.

--Doug

Welcome to the group and effort. And I hope you are as you say you are.

lynn

spacebetween
07-27-2007, 08:46 AM

--Doug

The real Doug Thompson? Or is ronpaulforums.com being duped just like fredthompsonforums.com?

Spirit of '76
07-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, Doug, I've got to admit I'm a bit shocked.

Welcome aboard!

inibo
07-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I think this is great. Whatever you may think about Doug, people read his site. Yes he pisses people of all across the spectrum, but he is journalist is the finest yellow tradition. His job is to find things and hammer away at them. I was reading his site before I learned about Ron Paul, and I was also a bit disappointed when Doug seemed to be trying to find dirt on Dr. Paul--not very successfully I might add. But I had a gut feeling that when the smoke cleared Doug would recognize that Ron Paul is not the same old BS in a new bag.

inibo
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh, and based on the fact that I was on my way here to post this, along with several other people, only to find someone had beat us to it, obviously we read his site. This one will not go unnoticed.

IRO-bot
07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Doug Thompson "allegedly" came on the forum last time to talk about the hit piece someone did on his website. He wanted to clear things up because it was signed Anonymous and he always signs his name when he does it.

Spirit of '76
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Doug Thompson "allegedly" came on the forum last time to talk about the hit piece someone did on his website. He wanted to clear things up because it was signed Anonymous and he always signs his name when he does it.

That's the real Doug. He mentioned my name from our email correspondence (before I'd published my name openly), and I think he listed me as a referral when he signed up.

jpa
07-27-2007, 10:49 AM

--Doug

hahaha! nice

I love diet dr. pepper too

jjschless
07-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Being skeptical is a good thing as I am sure Doug would agree, though this movement should be one of open arms and not closed fists.

Welcome to the Revolution Doug, I'd say enjoy the ride but I'm going to have ask you to get out and push with the rest of us. :)