PDA

View Full Version : Should I run for Congress?

xRedfoxx
01-17-2008, 05:13 PM
:cool:For those that don’t know me, my name is Matt and someday I hope to run for congress. I won’t win though because I have a simple philosophy on life: If it’s good for the government, then it’s good for you and me. Example:

1. If the government can print money when it needs more, then so should you and I.
2. If the government can have machineguns, then so should you and I.
3. If the government doesn’t have to audit voting records, than you and I shouldn’t have to audit our tax records.
4. If the government can exceed the speed limit in emergencies (police), then so should you and I (hospital?).
5. If the government doesn’t pay property taxes, then neither should you and I.

You get the drift. This may not be our year, but it will be soon. Get behind the Revolution. My name is Matt, and I approved this message.

Lois
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, go ahead and run! I'll vote for you. :)

Jeremy
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
If you know what you're doing I guess D:

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
:cool:For those that don’t know me, my name is Matt and someday I hope to run for congress. I won’t win though because I have a simple philosophy on life: If it’s good for the government, then it’s good for you and me. Example:

1. If the government can print money when it needs more, then so should you and I.
2. If the government can have machineguns, then so should you and I.
3. If the government doesn’t have to audit voting records, than you and I shouldn’t have to audit our tax records.
4. If the government can exceed the speed limit in emergencies (police), then so should you and I (hospital?).
5. If the government doesn’t pay property taxes, then neither should you and I.

You get the drift. This may not be our year, but it will be soon. Get behind the Revolution. My name is Matt, and I approved this message.

Interesting thoughts, but you'd have to carry them to their logical conclusions:
-If the government can tax people, then so should you and I.
-If the government can arrest, imprison, and/or execute criminals, then so should you and I.
-If the government can sign treaties with foreign nations, then so should you and I.

Not the best philosophy. How about just returning the government to the Constitution?

liberty_Forever
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I was thinking of running for Congress too

123tim
01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm thinking of running for my local school-board.

crink
01-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Do it please.

Golding
01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Educate yourself on the nitty-gritty of issues to the point where you are confident that no one can blindside you. If you are disappointed with the way things are going, and you feel your Congressman isn't doing a good enough job of representing your concerns, you should run.

SimpleName
01-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Going the "whatever government does, I can do too" way probably won't work. Somebody pointed out the taxing and arresting privileges. Interesting thoughts for sure, but government is there to protect you from the harm others can impose on you (police, military). Speed limits are instated for that reason. If you continue those beliefs, people could also raise their own armies and go on unstopped. And that IS explicitly unconstitutional in itself. Those will kill you when your opponent points them out. Just using Ron Paul's positions will work perfectly though. Stick to the Constitutional/Libertarian ideals. Best strategy as far as I see it.

The Tao Of Bill
01-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Do you have any qualifications for the job? It would help if you have some political experience.

nate895
01-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Do you have any qualifications for the job? It would help if you have some political experience.

Congress is the stepping stone, you need no political experience to get in.

freedominnumbers
01-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Interesting thoughts, but you'd have to carry them to their logical conclusions:
-If the government can tax people, then so should you and I.
-If the government can arrest, imprison, and/or execute criminals, then so should you and I.
-If the government can sign treaties with foreign nations, then so should you and I.

Not the best philosophy. How about just returning the government to the Constitution?

That's exactly right. The logical conclusion is that government gets it's power from the people which means it can't have any power that the people themselves don't have.

Examples:

Stealing from neighbors.
Murder.
Slavery.

When a government attempts to claim a power that it's citizens don't have it becomes tyrannical.

The Tao Of Bill
01-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Congress is the stepping stone, you need no political experience to get in. Not to run. But you do to win. I don't vote for people who aren't going to know what they are doing. I like to vote for people who have at least held a public office or have some other experiance that would allow them to make educated decisions for my district.