PDA

View Full Version : Wait, help me get this straight

vote4ronpauleeze
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
When I hear people say, "Yeah, Ron Paul's not bad, but he's not electable"....

Sorry, but I can't help but think of how moronic this statement is and for a couple reasons.

1. It implies that your vote "one little vote" for Ron Paul won't matter, yet your "one little vote" for another candidate will? So your same one vote is thrown away for Ron Paul, yet you're stupid enough to think that same vote will miraculously swing the election and make a difference for Obama or McCain. Dumb logic.

2. Stand up for what YOU believe in. There's nothing more sheep-like than following the crowd and letting OTHER PEOPLE dictate your decisions and beliefs. At that point, you're just a sell-out, a follower, and you are sacrificing your true beliefs because of others.

3. Who decides who is electable anyway? Everybody gets ONE vote (unless you live in Chicago or work for diebold, but I digress). That's right, everyone has equal say. So, let's run through a hypothetical: No primaries or caucuses have been held, and there is no communication with anyone else about their choice for candidate. There are no polls or any indication of who is in front and let's say the media is completely objective (bear with me). Now, you vote for your beliefs. That is the way the system is supposed to work. No media influence. No "following the crowd". Just you and your vote. The question of electability would never come up. Nor should it, because you're voting based on your true thoughts... Now let's come back to the status quo. With media bias, misleading polls, and disparity in campaign finances, now you are dealt with electability. So, what is the difference between the two scenarios? What can we logically deduce caused the term "electability"? Media influence. Following the crowd. And who's got the most money.

If you believe in the basic principles of the democratic process, stand up for your own beliefs, and aren't susceptible to bias and external pressure, then "electability" doesn't cross your mind.

I will vote Ron Paul to the very end.

jrich4rpaul
01-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Penn Jillette:

"He's not unelectable if we all vote for him!"

-lotus-
01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Great points, but figure out a way to get this across to people in a non-hostile, non-confrontational way and you'll have yourself a convinced voter. thats the problem most of us are having. ive found that the best way to convince someone otherwise is to let them talk about why they support their candidate and then throw in an example of how RP handles the same issue in his way. If they are for the war in Iraq, tell them that hes committed to restoring a strong national defense similar to Reagan. If theyre against it, tell them no other candidate wants to get our troops out faster than RP...etc etc. Just let them talk and most of the times, it doesnt take much to sway peoples way of thinking.

Noleader
01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Penn Jillette:

"He's not unelectable if we all vote for him!"

Thats what I tell people when ever I hear he is not electable.

rajibo
01-17-2008, 05:10 PM
That drives me nuts too. If your on the ballot and people are allowed to vote for you, then you are electable. :mad: