PDA

View Full Version : How much is the US owed?

Maverick
01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Debt-wise, that is. I, just like most of you, realize that we have a mounting national debt that is growing exponentially every day.

However, What I want to know is, what are we owed? Are any other countries indebted to us for any significant amount? Is it enough to at least make a dent in our own debt?

I get the feeling the answer will be "no," but at least it would be good to hear about what other countries owe to us rather than what we owe to everyone else for a change.

Mystile
01-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd say Israel and Saudi Arabia for all the military aide they receive from us, but I guess that's a "gift". We got bloody rich off the first two world wars, and China is going to get bloody rich off of the current imperial adventure.

Maverick
01-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, the cash we send to Israel and the Saudis, for example, is "foreign aid" and such nonsense, and I don't think it qualifies as something we'd be able to collect on.

I'm mainly talking about trading debt, where other countries run up a trade deficit with us by importing our goods (like we do with China), that we may be able to collect on at some point (like China will do to us).