PDA

View Full Version : Only 69 out of 228 Ron Paul delegates elected; 76 total

skiingff
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Ron Paul won 69 committed delegates and has another 7 automatic delegates. An entire 5.26% of the voting delegation in all. Pitiful.

The campaign dropped the ball bigtime on West Virginia, a state they could have won with a coordinated GOTV effort.

Many of our delegates lost by 1 vote. A vast majority lost by 5 votes or less. Half the Ron Paul delegates didn't even seem to vote for themselves, much less the other Ron Paul delegates. What a major miscommunication debacle.

There should have been county coordinators in every county with the knowledge and motivation to win their respective counties. Period. 1 vote.

This campaign is a miserable failure. I am fumed.

jenninlouisiana
01-17-2008, 03:47 PM
But If I get what you are saying, Ron Paul won 69 of 76 total delegates?

That's a victory, no?

Do the 69 then go to a state convention?

How many total delegates to the national convention does WV get?

jacmicwag
01-17-2008, 03:47 PM
We are the campaign.

ghemminger
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Ron Paul won 69 committed delegates and has another 7 automatic delegates. An entire 5.26% of the voting delegation in all. Pitiful.

The campaign dropped the ball bigtime on West Virginia, a state they could have won with a coordinated GOTV effort.

Many of our delegates lost by 1 vote. A vast majority lost by 5 votes or less. Half the Ron Paul delegates didn't even seem to vote for themselves, much less the other Ron Paul delegates. What a major miscommunication debacle.

There should have been county coordinators in every county with the knowledge and motivation to win their respective counties. Period. 1 vote.

Thanks for all you do!! We are working as a grassroots coalition in NV to get stuff done - we'll see how well we do.

kill the banks
01-17-2008, 04:32 PM

what could be done to do better skiingff ... ? what can we learn from this to improve in other states ...? thx

kill the banks

Cleaner44
01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
We are the campaign.

Roger that, we are the campaign. We can only blame ourselves if we fail.

jabrownie
01-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Can you please explain this a tad more, what EXACTLY happened in W.V., and what does it mean? Thanks.

WV Freedom Fighter
01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I didn't make it...that sux.

WV Freedom Fighter
01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
If you want to see if you made it...

http://www.wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f44422/Vote_Result_unofficial.pdf

LarryWhite
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
We did what we could with what we had. We had large groups in big counties that didn't get enough votes.

This entire process of voting online here was very involved, we were beaten by crossover vote.

In Kanawha county, even the Romney folks only had a slate of 45, so they had second choices. Same with the uncommitted voters, they got to pick their top 2.

They chose Romney and Huckabee.

Even with that, we worked our asses off getting the word out about voting, and doesn't look like hardly anyone followed through. I handed out hundreds of instructions all over Kanawha county at tables, people who were switching to vote for Paul, but this process is so involved, it's not just going and pulling a lever or clicking a button.

Spirit of '76
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
The Huckabee people turned out in droves.

I worked our County Convention, and Huckabee people showed up in groups of 10 or 12 to vote.

What irritated me was that their organizer told me he copied my instructions and notices word for word and gave them to his people.

LarryWhite
01-17-2008, 07:37 PM
We needed a 3rd place or better in the early primaries to be people's second choices, but yes, the Huckabee folk came out of nowhere, but they were already organized, some kind of private church school or something, most all the delegates in some counties are faculty.

WV Freedom Fighter
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
What irritated me was that their organizer told me he copied my instructions and notices word for word and gave them to his people.

:mad:

All 21 from my county was Huckleberry. Ridiculious! That online voting was B.S.

jiradog
01-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Not sure why, except that lots of good people took responsibility. We could have done better if I had called and reminded people. A couple of people truely forgot. The margin was very tight but I would call it a victory since we got 12 of 17 slots counting stealth delegates. We did work hard and took reponsibility for getting our people out. We did not expect much help from the campaign and only got some targeted mailings. It really is true that we are the campaign. Every vote was critical. It was frustrating to be waving signs out front and have people honk in suppport and then just drive on by without voting.

Lets learn from this, most of us are new to politics. Lets get involved for the long term. Don't let them change us. We can be a large force in the party. I am afraid we will never have another person of the stature of Ron Paul. What a great man he is. We have to take this party over from the bottom up. We need to become tens of thousands of Ron Pauls. How will they fight that?

Spirit of '76
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Lets learn from this, most of us are new to politics. Lets get involved for the long term. Don't let them change us. We can be a large force in the party. I am afraid we will never have another person of the stature of Ron Paul. What a great man he is. We have to take this party over from the bottom up. We need to become tens of thousands of Ron Pauls. How will they fight that?

The Party is ripe for the taking, especially if there's an electoral defeat in the general election.

kirkblitz
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
so what place does it look like we will come in?

jumpyg1258
01-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Near last like all these other races, *sigh*

Spirit of '76
01-17-2008, 10:00 PM

There's no way to tell until the convention. Between now and Feb 5, we need to sway as many uncommitted delegates as possible.

We also need people from surrounding states to come to Charleston on Feb 5 and campaign outside the convention.

JS4Pat
01-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Roger that, we are the campaign. We can only blame ourselves if we fail.

Ahhhh not quite.

Not when we send $28 million to the National Campaign and they don't handle their responsibility.

Spirit of '76
01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Ahhhh not quite.

Not when we send $28 million to the National Campaign and they don't handle their responsibility.

They have sent us a state coordinator, and they've even rented the top floor of the WV GOP headquarters in the Ronald Reagan building in South Charleston (they've named it the Goldwater-Taft Suite).

The state coordinator has been trying to make use of the Precinct Captain program to organize the counties.

It just all happened way too late. To be fair, though, they had no way of knowing if there'd be money to spend on WV until after December 17th.

That's the problem with "money bombs". They make it nearly impossible to budget, because you never know how much is coming in or when.

cjhowe
01-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't know what kind of Appalachian math you're using, but I only counted 59 elected...but there were a lot of delegates (over 100) that no one filed for (more delegates available than people filing). There were about 10 counties with obviously poor communication where we missed out on some. However, percentage was over 10% for elected delegates and you still had the uncommitted in the lead (25%). Take those people out to lunch, get 'em hooked. First hit's free. Make them Ron Paul junkies.

clytle374
01-18-2008, 12:47 AM
This sucks, I looked at my county and RP has 6 out of 8 with 2 undecided. Someone didn't understand you could vote for more than one.

Is anyone organizing a method of contacting undecided delegates?

Naraku
01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I counted 62. That means only around 4.3% of all delegates at the convention. :(

Anybody know anything about these people:

The delegates consist of the West Virginia Republican State Executive Committee, members of each of the County Executive Committee, Republican members of the West Virginia Legislature, Republican members of the Board of Public Works

Source: The Green Papers (http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/WV-R.phtml)

The way the rules work hurts us a lot:

* If a Presidential Candidate receives more than 50 percent of the vote on the first roll call, that candidate receives all 18 At-Large National Delegates.
* If no candidate receives more than 50 percent on the first roll call vote, a second roll call vote is taken among the three highest vote getters.
* If a candidate receives more than 50 percent on the second roll call vote, that candidate receives all 18 At-Large National Delegates.
* If no candidate receives more than 50 percent on the second roll call vote, a third roll call vote is taken between the two highest vote getters.
* The candidate receiving more than 50 percent in the third roll call vote receives all 18 At-Large National Delegates.

I don't think we have a chance there now. :( It's unlikely we'll get past the first roll call.

Nicketas
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM

bbachtung
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
How many delegates did Fred get and who gets them?

Ethek
01-22-2008, 08:27 PM
How many delegates did Fred get and who gets them?

thats the big question now!

jiradog
01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Counting one of the Thompson people I think will vote for Dr. Paul and our stealth delegates it looks like we got 15 of the 17 at large delegates. Lets focus on trying to win over the uncommitted, Hunter, Keyes and Thompson delegates. We can even go after the Romney Huckabee and McCain delegates. I am going to write some letters. The campaign is targeting this also I hope.

Bradley in DC
01-24-2008, 05:23 PM
what could be done to do better skiingff ... ? what can we learn from this to improve in other states ...? thx

+1

[One, don't trust the official campaign, especially HQ. Two, don't procrastinate. Three, find local people who know the local rules and other local people: learn the rules and play the game (which probably isn't pretty.)]

Bradley in DC
01-24-2008, 05:26 PM
There's no way to tell until the convention. Between now and Feb 5, we need to sway as many uncommitted delegates as possible.

Hit up the Thompson people!

pyrazole2
02-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I can't wait for the convention, especially since we'll get to hang out in the hospitality suite with RP before the caucusing begins.

Wood county might go to RP (3rd most delegates), there's also some XC's and party chair support here, we'll see when the vote comes.

I took 8 of the 15 uncommitted Wood county delegates out to dinner, one at a time. They were all interested in hearing what I had to say regarding RP, and had some good questions...I'd say their interest was furthered. I was also able to discuss why they should NOT vote for whomever they were leaning towards, which really does seem to be the WV 'strategy' that works.

I'll see all you RP people there...I'm going to harass the RP sign wavers, most of you've never met me!

noztnac
02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Why did they say they were delegates for Ron Paul? They should have just campaigned as conservative delegates.

pacelli
02-05-2008, 01:08 PM

So much for "WV IS IN THE BAG!!".