PDA

View Full Version : A BETTER USEOF YOUR TIME AND MONEY: leave a slimjim on the door!

ninepointfive
01-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Since I'm a reserved person, I generally get a little intimidated going door to door trying to talk politics. Not to mention not everyone is going to be receptive. They may also be more receptive reading a bright and persuasive card, rather than be interrupted by one of us at their door.

How about we all get a hold of some slimjims, write and print a short letter expressing some key persuasion points about Paul, and then Get out and put them on all the doors in your neighborhood!!

This way we don't bother anyone, and we get WAY MORE COVERAGE THAN COMMERCIALS!

:)

I may also suggest leaving contact information so you can get a hold of people and remind them to vote on caucus day.

mmink15
01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
I humbly disagree. The best way to guarantee a slim jim will be read is to hand it to someone.

ninepointfive
01-17-2008, 01:08 PM
You have a point, but I believe you may get widespread coverage if you still leave a personal note. I believe you can get the word out to many more people, and leave contact information to talk later.

liberty_Forever
01-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I personally think writing a note is much more effective message than a slim jim. But we need all the help we can get...

crazyfacedjenkins
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Since I'm a reserved person, I generally get a little intimidated going door to door trying to talk politics. Not to mention not everyone is going to be receptive. They may also be more receptive reading a bright and persuasive card, rather than be interrupted by one of us at their door.

How about we all get a hold of some slimjims, write and print a short letter expressing some key persuasion points about Paul, and then Get out and put them on all the doors in your neighborhood!!

I may also suggest leaving contact information so you can get a hold of people and remind them to vote on caucus day.

Well if you are pressed for time, I would go with that method. BUT, you got to call them and ask if they support Ron. You got to get the vote out one way or the other.

ninepointfive
01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
What I'm trying to say here, is that purchasing Slimjims, and writing a note, and putting those on every neighbor's door can be a more effective use of your money than donating directly to a campaign moneybomb!

I would just like to find the best use of all of our time and money. I could probably walk to somewhere near 1000-2000 homes just handing out information, and not ringing a doorbell and talking it up.

Can any precint captains confirm for me if Headquaters will send you free slimjims to hand out on doors?

If not, I could just buy the slimjims, and use that money to canvass, rather than just donate money. This would be better than a broadcasted commercial if more of us got out to get the local exposure.

Jae0
01-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Im pretty sure you have to buy the slim jims.

Ethek
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
If your spendign time doing this please at least make sure you put some contact info on your material.

Go get a stamp made up at an office store for 14$ and get your telephone number or email address on it.

Jae0
01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Good idea :)

WilliamC
Hey if you are out canvassing you're already being effective.

Thanks!

ninepointfive
If your spendign time doing this please at least make sure you put some contact info on your material.

Go get a stamp made up at an office store for 14$ and get your telephone number or email address on it.

exactly, and make sure to spell out the day and time to vote!

jblosser
01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
You can get free lit depending on where you are. Talk to your state coordinator or meetup organizer.

By all means leave literature but use the precinct captain program to target the right ones to the right houses. And then you really do need to go back and find out what they thought and if they'll vote for him.

If you don't have a phone number to make sure they vote, you need to assume they didn't vote, and all you did is hand out a bunch of paper.

Ron's putting his life and history on the line out there, the least we can do is walk to the houses he can't get to.

da32130
01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
exactly, and make sure to spell out the day and time to vote!

don't do this unless you know they support Paul. Otherwise you are sending competition to the polls.

Jobarra
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Trying to put together a fact sheet for canvassers to hand out or email around. If you would like to help out, look HERE (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=91244)

Brian
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

We've been trading stories about people slamming doors in our faces. It's fun ! Really ! :D

ninepointfive
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Ok, you know what? I just found out that when you become a Precinct Captain, that you get addresses of the Registered Republicans!
I'm just going to buck up and ring the doorbell and talk.
I think my approach would be to ask them:

"I'm here to support Ron Paul, can you spare a minute?"

when they say they can:

"What is the issue that concerns you the most in the upcoming Presidential election?"

When they answer, give them Ron Paul's position, and then hand them a slim jim. I will also be handing them a short note stating:
"I'm here to support Ron Paul because I believe he is the true Thomas Jefferson of our time.
*He is the only Presidential candidate, Democrat or Republican, who has a wise plan to bring our economy back to life.
*He is the only Presidential candidate, Democrat or Republican, who will restore our civil liberties.
*He has a tried and true voting record as a strict Constitutionalist as a ten term Congressman."

What do you think about also including that, "He opposed the war from the beginning, and has strongly opposed the Patriot Act."
-I know we are trying to convert established Republicans at this point.

What is the best angle of attack do you think? I am open to suggestions.

don't do this unless you know they support Paul. Otherwise you are sending competition to the polls.

good idea

hamdog
01-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Can any precint captains confirm for me if Headquaters will send you free slimjims to hand out on doors?

i am not a precinct captain, but here in illinois, the arlington heights headquarters has cases of them for free. another office is opening up in downers grove this week and they will have them too.

see if you can find a somewhat local headquarters office in colorado, maybe offer to pay for just shipping. they'll probably do it if you are gonna go canvassing.

ninepointfive
01-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Trying to put together a fact sheet for canvassers to hand out or email around. If you would like to help out, look HERE (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=91244)

cool, i will check it out.

Ronin
01-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Just a quick note. I just spoke with some people at HQ and they said David (leader for recruits) staples a personal note to his slim jims. They told me he puts a brief statement about who he is and why he supports RP as well as his contact info. Just thought I'd pass that along for all the lit-droppers.

I personally wouldn't recommend giving too much information on polling dates, times, etc unless you have identified the person as a RP supporter. I think this is pointed out in one of the video's (3rd??).

jblosser
01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
In some areas you get farther if you don't start out with "Ron Paul". Keep in mind that people believe all kinds of crazy about him, especially Republicans who are being fed a line. I have heard "oh right, he's that one who believes in UFOs?" Don't go out of your way to hide it or anything, and if they ask who you support tell them immediately, but if you get them agreeing with you on some issues first you will make them think more.

Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a volunteer handing out some information about the upcoming Presidential election. Have you had a chance to look at the race yet? What issues are important to you?

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
i am not a precinct captain, but here in illinois, the arlington heights headquarters has cases of them for free. another office is opening up in downers grove this week and they will have them too.

see if you can find a somewhat local headquarters office in colorado, maybe offer to pay for just shipping. they'll probably do it if you are gonna go canvassing.

You have access to cases of free slim jims, and you're not signed up to be a precinct captain?!?! :confused:

wgadget
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
What I'm trying to say here, is that purchasing Slimjims, and writing a note, and putting those on every neighbor's door can be a more effective use of your money than donating directly to a campaign moneybomb!

I would just like to find the best use of all of our time and money. I could probably walk to somewhere near 1000-2000 homes just handing out information, and not ringing a doorbell and talking it up.

If not, I could just buy the slimjims, and use that money to canvass, rather than just donate money. This would be better than a broadcasted commercial if more of us got out to get the local exposure.

Are you in a meetup group? The campaign is shipping out huge amounts of literature now just for this purpose. Get in touch with your local meetup!

JimInNY
01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
All effort on behalf of the R3volution is good, but, every success story I have read so far in this forums talked about canvassing and speaking to people. Apparently there is no substitute for a face to face, relaxed conversation with potential supporters.

If you are capable of doing that, do it! Don't use alternate ideas as an excuse to not do what works best! If you're not a good one on one communicator, by all means, just get the literature out there.

Just my two cents based on observations.

JS4Pat
01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
All effort on behalf of the R3volution is good, but, every success story I have read so far in this forums talked about canvassing and speaking to people. Apparently there is no substitute for a face to face, relaxed conversation with potential supporters.

I agree. Look them right in the eye and they will likely see your sincerity and passion.

NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THAT!

You don't have to be a good speaker or "know the issues".

austin356
01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
NO. Watch the training videos. It explains it clearly.

Political consultants will tell you knocking and talking is exponentially greater than just leaving a slim jim or even note.

Some but not all the reasons:
1)You identify supporters. You write their name and number down and get them to the polls.
2)You put a face with the message and people process the information better.
3)You get the potential voters to actually read the item.
4)You can put yard signs up in the yards of supporters.
5)You can recruit others to help you volunteer or at least give them some slim jims to pass out at work.
6)You can answer questions people have of Dr. Paul - And counter misinformation by the msm.
7)etc, etc, etc, I could go on and on.

hamdog
01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
You have access to cases of free slim jims, and you're not signed up to be a precinct captain?!?! :confused:

your reply made me feel kinda guilty, scott.

nevertheless i checked out your link. if i could commit to more, i would. i am doing what i can with the resources i have.

Derek Johnson
01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Ring the damn doorbell

be polite

don't argue or antagonize

and then leave the slim jim if nobody answers, please.

firebirdnation
01-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I hate it when people knock on my door unannounced and bug me! I did as the OP suggested and left slim jims on door knobs. When I was driving away I seen someone holding one and reading it. He was probably able to really sit there and think about what was written on the slimjim without feeling as if someone was trying to sell him on something. I don't think its efficient to spend 10 minutes trying to convice someone to vote for Ron Paul.

Name recognition seems to be the biggest obstacle we face, so I its important to get his name out there. In that 10 minutes I spend trying to convice a single person to vote for Ron Paul, I could have hit 30 houses and introduced 30 families to Ron Paul.

Does anyone enjoy it when someone shows up at your home unannounced, especially if that person is trying to sell you on a religion or candidate? I have had people bug me at home and try to sell me on something, but I never remember what the hell they were trying to sell me after they leave. I usually start by saying I am not interested and it starts off on the wrong foot. Not a good way to make a first impression IMO.

But, I have recieved advertisements on my door before and have taken the time to read it and see what it said. Plus, the slim jims look professional and curiosity will cause folks to read it over. If they want more information they can research it online. I just wish the slimjims included the campaigns toll free phone number.

It's great that you are out there doing something. I wish more people would get out there and help.

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Customizable LOCAL handout to use if you're out of slim jims. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=83009)

austin356
01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Name recognition seems to be the biggest obstacle we face, so I its important to get his name out there.

I organized a 10,000 home canvassing last weekend and on all the houses I personally hit I did not encounter a single individual who had not heard of Dr. Paul.

(of course this is not average b/c it was a specific neighborhood that would know more, but still people have heard of him)

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I hate it when people knock on my door unannounced and bug me! I did as the OP suggested and left slim jims on door knobs. When I was driving away I seen someone holding one and reading it. He was probably able to really sit there and think about what was written on the slimjim without feeling as if someone was trying to sell him on something. I don't think its efficient to spend 10 minutes trying to convice someone to vote for Ron Paul.

Name recognition seems to be the biggest obstacle we face, so I its important to get his name out there. In that 10 minutes I spend trying to convice a single person to vote for Ron Paul, I could have hit 30 houses and introduced 30 families to Ron Paul.

Does anyone enjoy it when someone shows up at your home unannounced, especially if that person is trying to sell you on a religion or candidate? I have had people bug me at home and try to sell me on something, but I never remember what the hell they were trying to sell me after they leave. I usually start by saying I am not interested and it starts off on the wrong foot. Not a good way to make a first impression IMO.

But, I have recieved advertisements on my door before and have taken the time to read it and see what it said. Plus, the slim jims look professional and curiosity will cause folks to read it over. If they want more information they can research it online. I just wish the slimjims included the campaigns toll free phone number.

It's great that you are out there doing something. I wish more people would get out there and help.

I totally agree with you man - I don't have time to knock on 1000 doors. Nor do I want to play the role of salesman. I just want to get RP's name out there along with his stance on the issues.

Rhys
01-17-2008, 04:05 PM

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

The campaign has a stradegy if anyone would like to help us actualy win instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every damned day.

Ever heard the phrase: "Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians"?

In my area of MI, we did what the campaign asked... as in Canvased how they asked... we got TWICE the RP turnout as places who didn't or places who did whatever the fuck they felt like.

If you can't do it, don't sign up. Don't be a lazy tool looking to lose.

firebirdnation
01-17-2008, 04:09 PM

The campaign has a stradegy if anyone would like to help us actualy win instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every damned day.

In my area of MI, we did what the campaign asked... as in Canvased how they asked... we got TWICE the RP turnout as places who didn't or places who did whatever the fuck they felt like.

I guess he could do nothing........

ninepointfive
01-17-2008, 04:15 PM

I've actually decided to ring every doorbell with my walking list.

You see, I was under the impression we were stopping at every door in the neighborhood. My list has 80 registered republicans, and even has information about what these individuals have been concerned about in the past allowing you to target the message.

It is for this reason, and that the Precinct Captain database has all of the information sorted perfectly.

I would encourage everyone who was originally thinking what I was to just sign up and do this! Its waay more organized and focused than you think!
I'm also attending my first meetup tonight to pick up all the slimjims!

Soccrmastr
01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah become a Precinct Leader this strategy is explained, it called a lit drop or literature drop.

Derek Johnson
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM

Statistically speaking, this doesn't mean shit, there are far more variables involved than "how they asked" vs. "did whatever the fuck they felt like"...but I agree with the gist of your statement.

Besides getting off your ass, the key is identifying potential/decided Paul supporters, getting their contact info, and following up and/or giving them a ride if possible.

Have you been in the nursing homes with your power point presentation and a projector?

Will you?

Rhys
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I guess he could do nothing........

might as well. does as much good.

Glad to hear the original poster signed up to canvas at http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

it's fun and easy and works, unlike all the halfbrained ideas we have. :D

jk (sorta)

EDIT: statisticaly, it means everything. EVERY canvased precinct had twice the RP turnout. EVERY one. That's 100% correlation. 0 standard deviations.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-17-2008, 04:26 PM

If that's what you think you can reasonably do, given your time and comfort level, I'm all for it. Thank you in advance.

WilliamC
01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking it sort of depends on the neighborhood you live in. Here in my neck of the woods people are fairly friendly, and if I'm canvassing my own neighborhood I'll be ringing doorbells to let them know who I am. It would almost be rude not to.

If I'm canvassing out of my immediate neighborhood then I will just leave the slim jim and my contact information and move on.

If I were canvassing out of my precinct I would just leave the slim jim with no contact information.

But I will definitely watch the videos before I start. Just waiting on my stuff to arrive.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-17-2008, 04:30 PM

A precinct captain who does something is way better than none at all. Do you really want to force an "all or nothing" situation on people who are willing to do what they think they can do?

It's not like he's taking someone else's spot to do half the job. He's saying he'll do part of the job. If you want to come behind him and do 100%, then now we have 150%. I don't see the problem there. Everyone can't be as good as you are at everything you do. That doesn't mean their contributions are meaningless.

alaric
01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
You have a point, but I believe you may get widespread coverage if you still leave a personal note. I believe you can get the word out to many more people, and leave contact information to talk later.

I leave those business cards. Much cheaper and goes farther. I use slim jims when actually talking to someone who seems interested. With the card, you can write a note and put a card inside with 'I'm your local Ron Paul contact. Call me at ----- or email me at -----.;)

Rhys
01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
A precinct captain who does something is way better than none at all. Do you really want to force an "all or nothing" situation on people who are willing to do what they think they can do?

It's not like he's taking someone else's spot to do half the job. He's saying he'll do part of the job. If you want to come behind him and do 100%, then now we have 150%. I don't see the problem there. Everyone can't be as good as you are at everything you do. That doesn't mean their contributions are meaningless.

I don't want it 'all or nothing'.

I just don't want to see people spend too much effort to get 7% of the GOP vote when they can spend effort to get 20% +.

I know I seem cynical because I am.

We waved signs and posted on YouTube and got 10% max so far. If we do it right, we can win. Campaigns are serious business, not massively multi player online election games. Somethinig is better than nothing, but some things are so close to nothing that it's about the same.

Eric21ND
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
don't forget to include your local caucus or primary information with the slim jim. many people don't know where to vote or where to go.

jenn122
01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I totally understand where everyone is coming from...if I had time I would knock on doors, but I have OVER 2,000 on my walking list + the rest of the county, which no one has signed up for. There is no way I can knock on every door in my county...

dblee
01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
it's better to just ring the doorbell and hand them the slimjim, then politely be on your way.

jblosser
01-17-2008, 08:47 PM

We don't get to win half the Presidency.

We have the resources to win this, but only if people do the work instead of coming up with alternate ideas that sound good in their head (mostly because they are easier on them) but are known to not work because people have in fact done campaigns before and found what did and didn't work.

You think Washington's boys at Valley Forge sat around coming up with ways to only go 50% to the fight because they were uncomfortable being shot at? And don't tell me this is different. Yeah it's different. It's WAY easier. Until we don't do it, and lose, and the economy goes completely under, and we have food riots in the streets.

Last year was the time for name recognition. Now is the time for finding people that will vote for him and getting their contact info so that in the next phase we can get them to the polls. They don't count unless they get to the polls. It doesn't matter how much they like what they hear about him or if they read a slim jim. If they don't vote, they don't exist. Most won't vote. Don't leave it up to chance if we get a free country or not.

jblosser
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I totally understand where everyone is coming from...if I had time I would knock on doors, but I have OVER 2,000 on my walking list + the rest of the county, which no one has signed up for. There is no way I can knock on every door in my county...

You shouldn't have to knock on all of them. Start on some of them, find more supporters, and divide the list between you. It won't get smaller until you start on it.

spm1024
01-17-2008, 08:55 PM
I signed up as a precinct leader and have been contemplating the best way to cover my area.
I live in a densely populated suburban area...not really the best part of town. Neighbors are not the most friendly or sociable around here. I get people knocking on my door several times each week trying to sell something, or on some type of petition drive. I don't think the door knocking and artificial smile is going to work.

I am planning to use personally addressed envelopes, containing a personal note and a slim jim.

If something shows up in my mailbox or on my front door with my name hand written on it, I am going to read it. Period. I think I probably have about 500 households with registered voters...I think I can write that many personal letters.

I am still waiting on supplies, so I have some time to consider things.