PDA

View Full Version : Create an e-annoyance, go to jail - OMG OMG

badmp3
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
WOW .. Looks like we are all going to go to Jail soon ...

Article Snip:
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."

Article Source:
http://www.news.com/Create-an-e-annoyance,-go-to-jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?tag=sas.email

chris198
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
holy crap.. This needs a BUMP

mmink15
01-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Is this how they are gonna silence us. I send an e-mail to FOX they send police to my house?

ShowMeLiberty
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Some ppl do not understandz how the internets workz. :mad:

The good news is - guess who voted against it. That's right - Dr. No said "Nay". Click this link and scroll down: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll501.xml

BreakYourChains
01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Bump

ShowMeLiberty
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Did a little more checking... this is actually kind of old. The date of the CNet article from the OP is January 9, 2006, over 2 years ago.

Let this thread die. I think the OP is an infiltrator trying to distract us. Fifteen minutes already wasted in researching.

EvilEngineer
01-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Cough... do people not read the date of publication before they make statements like this?
READ
Published: January 9, 2006, 4:00 AM PST

Molly1
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
We have to replace this entire Congress as quickly as possible.

They are all sell out robot zombies.

Are you guys going to start running soon as Ron Paul Republicans/Independents/Libertarians/ Constitutionalists/whatever?

Please!!!!!!

Molly1
01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Cough... do people not read the date of publication before they make statements like this?
READ
Published: January 9, 2006, 4:00 AM PST

Who cares if it's old or not?

Did it pass? I've never heard of it.

Thumper
01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) gets loaded up with all kinds of fascist garbage legislation all the time. They should strike it from the books. Not because women don't need protection, but because we ALL already have protection under the law.

VAWA is easy to load with unpopular legislation because nobody want's to go on record as voting against it. It's another piece of legislation that has been misused and perverted. It inspires collectivism and groupthink. But hey, why should anyone be surprised by that? That's our government at work.

Michigan11
01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Fuck these communist bastards and their love for passing an infinite number of laws each passing year so that not even a well-read attorney could understand the laws of our fucked up land.

They pass all these laws to spin their web over every citizen, thus using indirect coherscion.

Yet, when an attorney questions in court, where is the law for taxing our labor, the courts, imply, just do it.

You know what, with the current laws on the books, every citizen in the land, is breaking some laws, and not knowing it, this is illegal in its own right.

Molly1
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
The laws are beginning to resemble the irs code. Too complicated for anyone to keep track of or understand, but move left or right and they got you.

Please you guys, start running for office, replace this Congress! Please!!!

oops, first we have to learn how to count the votes accurately...

junior_bacon_cheeseburger
01-17-2008, 02:33 PM
this is the most asinine, wreckless, ruthless, and incompetent administration in US history. Every stupid piece of Constitution destroying legislation is just another nail in their coffin. I pray these thugs are brought to justice.....

Ernest
01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Thought police - internet police - "hate crimes". Europe is already far down this path and unless we change direction we are going there too.

Patriot123
01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Screw Congress and Bush. You know what? Just because they enacted that, I'm going to send even more 'annoying' emails. And you know what? I'll have my RP sign and shirtin hand when I'm being whisked off to prison as a martyr.

raiha
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Can't catch me! I'm in NZ! :cool: