PDA

View Full Version : Former Democrats: Don't forget this is a Republican Primary

Elwar
01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
First of all, welcome to all former Democrats, glad to have you as part of the R3VO_|UTION.

But just remember that we're trying to win over Republicans right now...you might want to keep that in mind, especially when on conservative radio or TV.

I only caught a little bit of it the other day, but there was a caller talking to Hannity and he was talking about how Bill Clinton balanced the budget under his watch etc...
afterwards Hannity used it as an example of why all Ron Paul supporters are so "crazy".

I'm sure every one of Hannity's listeners have been indoctrinated to hate Bill Clinton and pretty much any Democrat ever. Supporting Ron Paul and then saying Bill Clinton was a good president is not a way to win over any Republican.

Sure Hannity sucks, but he also has a buttload of voting Republican listeners.

Cindy
01-17-2008, 12:33 PM
We all just need to be mindful of the audience we have when speaking about Paul, form situtation to situation. If a Dem is trying to convert a dem to Paul, they can speak differently.

When with a Republican audience then, yes, they need to stick to comparing Paul to traditional Republicans like Taft and remind them of their roots that made their party strong. It's weakening the more they stray from their roots.

specsaregood
01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I have always voted Republican (well until last presidential cycle).
But that caller has a point. The budget was balanced and the deficit erased under Clinton's administration. Of course he had a Republican majority in the house/senate, which is a valid point also.

But comparing Clinton's 8 years to Bush's 7 years, it makes the Democrats look like the party of fiscal responsibility.

billjarrett
01-17-2008, 12:38 PM
/agree

Clinton is not to the Republicans what Reagan is to the Democrats (I saw some of them gushing about being like Reagan before).

I served in the Army from 1993-2000, and saw morale drop like a rock during that time. Clinton and Military should not be used in the same sentence.

Most Republicans I know do not believe the myth of the budget surplus.

And last but not least, because I've seen it too often: The war in iraq is not the #1 issue on the Republican plate like it is the Democrats. If you want to talk government waste, you'd be better off reading what David Walker has been talking about lately and pitching that. To sell these people on the war you will need to get into 50+ years of history and foreign policy, which is a long, drawn out sell - But it can be done if you know your stuff.

Stick to whats simple.