PDA

View Full Version : UNV Forum - Paul one of 4 Rep candidates invited

stevedasbach
07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
UNR sets GOP forum; Richardson commits for Dems

Associated Press - July 26, 2007 7:34 PM ET

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Four Republican presidential candidates are being invited to a political forum August 20th at the University of Nevada, Reno.

That's two days before a similar event is scheduled for the leading Democrats.

School officials announced today that New Mexico Governor is the first candidate among the four Democrats to accept the invitation to the August 22nd forum at the Lawlor Events Center.

Democratic Senators Hillary Clinton of New York, Barack Obama of Illinois and ex-Senator John Edwards of North Carolina have not yet responded to invitations that went out this week.

The Brookings Institution, a nonpartisan public policy think tank based in Washington, is cosponsoring the events with the university and ABC News.

School spokeswoman Jan Tors says the institute is in the process of sending out invitations to the four Republicans -- former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, Arizona Senator John McCain and Texas Congressman Ron Paul.

Republican Fred Thompson has not been invited because he has not formally entered the race. But school officials say that could change.

The sponsors said in announcing the Democratic forum earlier this week they wanted to keep to a limited number of candidates to give them more time to discuss issues.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=6846937&nav=9qrx

Bradley in DC
07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks, Steve! Does this mean we're top tier?!!

james1844
07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
yep...thats certainly promising.

SeanEdwards
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
sexy

Ron Paul Fan
07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
They should invite all candidates to make it fair and not just the top 4 in each party. They could divide them up 4 and 4 on the Democrat side, 5 and 4 on the Republican side if they want smaller groups. Ron Paul should decline the invitation if they don't do so.

dmitchell
07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
This is very welcome news, a nice boost to RP's credibility.

DeadheadForPaul
07-26-2007, 08:17 PM
We should really send thank you letters stating that we are enthusiastically awaiting the forum. This is the first time that we've been included when others havent

Bradley in DC
07-26-2007, 08:18 PM
They should invite all candidates to make it fair and not just the top 4 in each party. They could divide them up 4 and 4 on the Democrat side, 5 and 4 on the Republican side if they want smaller groups. Ron Paul should decline the invitation if they don't do so.

Dr. Paul should absolutely accept! The sponsors decide their own rules of course, and every sponsor makes their own determinations. Are you upset John Cox and lots of others I don't even know the names of weren't included in the televised debates so far?

I strongly believe that if we can get Dr. Paul and his message to the people we win.

dmitchell
No; RP doesn't have the luxury of turning down an invitation like this. Besides, they'll just invite Huckabee to take his place.

DjLoTi
Hell yeahs!

buffalokid777
This is a Prime opportunity for Ron Paul to standout.

Ron Paul Fan
07-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Dr. Paul should absolutely accept! The sponsors decide their own rules of course, and every sponsor makes their own determinations. Are you upset John Cox and lots of others I don't even know the names of weren't included in the televised debates so far?

I strongly believe that if we can get Dr. Paul and his message to the people we win.

Yeah, but there was a big stink by people on here when Ron Paul was excluded in Iowa. Now that the shoe is on the other foot the same people are welcoming it. Ok, Ron Paul shouldn't decline the invitation, but it would be nice if he would make a statement about the others not being included since he was in that same boat just a little while ago.

jblosser
07-26-2007, 08:20 PM
He shouldn't turn it down but if the other candidates complain about not being invited he should back them. I think it was Tancredo that did this for Paul at the Iowa event and it's the right thing to do. It's great that this shows he's in someone's version of "top 4", though.

Bradley in DC
07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
He shouldn't turn it down but if the other candidates complain about not being invited he should back them. I think it was Tancredo that did this for Paul at the Iowa event and it's the right thing to do. It's great that this shows he's in someone's version of "top 4", though.

You beat me to it! Tancredo showed a lot of class.

Syren123
07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
It's good news and bad news. It's completely cheesy not to invite everyone.

Badger Paul
07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Need to be in Nevada, their caucuses are on Jan. 19. Must win.

DjLoTi
07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Dude, who cares? I mean, no offense or anything, but Ron's the man! Ron should be our president starting NOW, no need for all these debate thingies. We all know Ron is the man. You know. What's here nor there... IMO .. doesn't matter... only Ron matters because only Ron needs to win for our country to be prosperous (in oh so many ways).

beermotor
07-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Good thing about this is, with less folks, it means more talking time. You might see some of the "top tier" turkeys bow out, because of "scheduling conflicts" - i.e. they do not want to get murdered like Giuliani did, laf. Seriously. If it wasn't for that SC debate, where would we be now? That turned on a LOT of people - they were like "wow, this guy thinks and acts like a normal American? amazing!"

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they bail out. Of course, that just means a good debate between Paul and HuckaRedoSon.