PDA

View Full Version : Canvassing my precinct

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Just thought I'd show what I'm doing in my precinct as an example. I ordered a 1000 slim jims, which just arrived. I also created my own little flyer with information about the upcoming caucus and how important it is that people sign up with the campaign so that come caucus day, we'll have a plan that night to win our precinct. I don't feel a slim jim alone is enough. People need to be informed of what they need to do to win at the caucus. When supporters in my precinct sign up, I then have their contact info to call them and coordinate nominating delegates and such on caucus night. So I made up flyers with the info shown below - 6 flyers per sheet of paper. It cost me $30 for the slim jims, and $20 to make this additional flyer (total of 1000). I'm stampling this additional flyer to each slim jim. Then I'm going to put one at each door in my precinct (I'm not knocking and talking though - that takes way too long).

Ron Paul
FOR PRESIDENT 2008

Dear Neighbor,

This flyer was delivered by a Ron Paul Precinct Leader that lives
in your neighborhood. The purpose is to make you aware that
Minnesota’s Caucus will be February 5th at John Glenn Middle
School at 7pm. If you already support Ron Paul, then it is very
important that you let the MN campaign know -

Internet - www.ronpaul2008.com/join
Call - 612-886-1990

This way we can work as a team at the caucus to help Ron Paul win
the nomination. Letting the campaign know that you are a
supporter will allow me to coordinate our support in this precinct.
This is extremely important.

If the name Ron Paul is new to you, I strongly encourage you to
look over these materials and go to www.ronpaul2008.com for
more information. Ron Paul is our only hope for America.
Be a part of it!

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

MN Patriot
01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Good job! I just got my 1000 slim jims, too. MN HQ gave me 500 post it notes with caucus info on them. I will continue canvassing this afternoon.

This weekend will be COLD!!! Horrible weather for campaigning. High temp of minus 1 degree.

Idea: go to churches on Sunday and put them on the windshields. I will probably have a lot left over, and intend to get rid of them that way. People don't like it, but it's not highly illegal (only slightly trespassing, and if someone tells you to leave, go somewhere else).

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Good job! I just got my 1000 slim jims, too. MN HQ gave me 500 post it notes with caucus info on them. I will continue canvassing this afternoon.

This weekend will be COLD!!! Horrible weather for campaigning. High temp of minus 1 degree.

Idea: go to churches on Sunday and put them on the windshields. I will probably have a lot left over, and intend to get rid of them that way. People don't like it, but it's not highly illegal (only slightly trespassing, and if someone tells you to leave, go somewhere else).

Yeah, I'll be canvassing this Sunday with my meetup.

And yes, I have a 1000 slims as well, and once my precinct is covered I plan to hit parking lots as well. Mall parking lots, and movie parking lots are other places to hit.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-17-2008, 10:51 AM
This is the type of shit I like to hear.

da32130
01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
The purpose is to make you aware that
Minnesota’s Caucus will be February 5th at John Glenn Middle
School at 7pm.

I don't think this is the way to go. We don't want higher turnout for everyone. We only want it for Paul supporters.

This is why you should:
1) inform them of Paul(lit drop)
2) call to find out if they are for Paul(polling)
3) call again the people who are for Paul to get them to vote

We only want Paul people to show up.

Edit:
also, stamp "to volunteer call XXXXXXX(yournumber)" on the slim jims so other Paul supporters can join you in dropping lit, making calls, etc.

Laja
01-17-2008, 10:56 AM
We have a neocon Precinct Chair here and we've nominated a Ron Paul Precinct chair to run against him at the Precinct Convention (the night of the Texas Primaries). Both live in my neighborhood and are part of my homeowners association. I don't know how many friends the neocon has in our area because he's been Chair for years. If I leave that kind of information on people's doors, they're bound to find out our plan to outnumber them at the convention. We need to stay stealth for the simple reason of catching them offguard.

Any suggestions about how to canvass and avoid giving our strategy away?

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, I think the whole precinct captain plan is public knowledge. Considering in my state, the caucus is only a few weeks away, there's not much time to work on a strategic slealthy plan of canvassing, phone calls, and then more phone calls hoping that non RP supporters don't know about the caucuses.

I think on an average, the number of MSM candidate supporters attending the caucuses is not going to really increase that much just because I'm telling them where and when the caucus is. These people will sit on their asses in front of their TVs instead of going to the caucus regardless.

Getting die hard RP supporters to the caucus is hard enough, so I'm not too concerned about MSM candidate supporters showing up in massive numbers. They are too lazy. They'll let MSM dictate the success of their candidate.

da32130
01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, I think the whole precinct captain plan is public knowledge. Considering in my state, the caucus is only a few weeks away, there's not much time to work on a strategic slealthy plan of canvassing, phone calls, and then more phone calls hoping that non RP supporters don't know about the caucuses.

I think on an average, the number of MSM candidate supporters attending the caucuses is not going to really increase that much just because I'm telling them where and when the caucus is. These people will sit on their asses in front of their TVs instead of going to the caucus regardless.

Getting die hard RP supporters to the caucus is hard enough, so I'm not too concerned about MSM candidate supporters showing up in massive numbers. They are too lazy. They'll let MSM dictate the success of their candidate.

If nobody knows the location it is an even playing field.

Paul supporters are already more loyal so they are more likely to look it up.

However, you can gain a further edge by contacting Paul supporters to ensure they show up.

Other candidates supporters are not very motivated, but if you tell them where and when they may just show up in greater numbers. Negating some of your influence.

RPDelegate
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
If nobody knows the location it is an even playing field.

Paul supporters are already more loyal so they are more likely to look it up.

However, you can gain a further edge by contacting Paul supporters to ensure they show up.

Other candidates supporters are not very motivated, but if you tell them where and when they may just show up in greater numbers. Negating some of your influence.

Yes, I agree, I will be calling RP supporters in my precinct to make sure they show up. But the way our campaign office in MN wants it to work is like this - canvass your precinct so people will sign up as supporters on the ronpaul2008.com web site, then a week before the caucus, we'll be given a list of supporters in our precinct that we would call to make sure they attend the caucus.

WilliamC
01-17-2008, 01:00 PM

That is dedication! Stay warm ya here?