PDA

View Full Version : Can I be a precinct leader from overseas?

RonPaulCult
01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I am currently living abroad in Spain but I feel that this precinct leader idea is the ONLY thing that could give us victory (and seriously if you are reading these words PLEASE dedicate yourself to saving the country by signing up yourself).

So despite the time efforts it may take I think I would like to sign up and help. But is this possible? I obviously can't go door to door or drive but I do have a vonage account which means I can call any number in America for free as if I'm right down the street.

Also I live in Pennsylvania which means since we go almost last in voting our votes don't count for much. Could I sign up for a state that does matter given I'm not there anyway?

Or if I do get assigned Pittsburgh (my home town) and it's still up for grabs in late April (it COULD happen the way this thing is going) I would be willing to fly all the way back for the election.

So what do you guys think - do I qualify or should I just concentrate on helping in other ways?

ButchHowdy
01-17-2008, 09:23 AM
If anything, do it to get the list with phone numbers and make some calls.

Where in Espana are you? My mom lives in Agua Amarga, about 45 minutes east of Almeria. Cool Place!!

WilliamC
01-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I think the idea behind being a precinct leader is to have people in the neighborhoods do the canvessing.

Why not try contacting precinct leaders and offering to buy them some supplies?

See the thead

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=90108

Precinct Leader Senatobia, MS (SN2)

Eponym_mi
01-17-2008, 09:26 AM
The important things would be getting literature in the voters hands and getting some face time with the voter to discuss issues that may sway the voter to Ron Paul. You might be able to hand the voter some literature that addresses their issue directly. Or you might be able to convey Ron Paul's solution. Yes, some of this might be done on the phone, and ANY contact with voters probably helps, but face to face contact makes it personal and shows the voter the level of support and effort YOU are willing to put into getting Ron Paul elected.

Having said that, I see no reason why you couldn't contact a local Precinct Captain and assist them. For example, you might obtain voter phone numbers in a precinct where you know literature has been dropped and do some follow up. Maybe the voter needs some more info. Or maybe the voter actually wants to get involved.

amy31416
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't see why not!

Sign up, be a precinct leader for the area in PA where you live around Pittsburgh. Send letters, make phone calls.

And thanks ;)

Eponym_mi
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Send letters, make phone calls.

Sending letters and lit would be good. However, anyone doing this kind of activity from overseas should be a US citizen and clearly indicate that in their letter. Granted, citizens of other countries may have a legitimate interest in our elections from a foreign policy perspective, but a letter arriving from overseas might raise questions, i.e., who is this foreigner and why is he/she trying to influence our elections? If a person wanting to help has an accent, telephone calls might be similarly misconstrued. Given the importance placed on problems with illegal immigration in this election, the potential issues with overseas help are something that should be considered.

thomaseusin
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
If you can't, you could always write personal handwritten letters for Paul. Would have a greater impact to the people receiving letters from Americans overseas!

http://www.louislogan.com/letters/index.asp

limequat
01-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Ya, I'd say your best bet would be to help someone else with Voter ID by phone. This is true grunt work that we could farm out to India if we wanted.

Eponym_mi
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
This is true grunt work that we could farm out to India if we wanted.

We would definitely turn off a lot of voters doing that. I'm not xenophobic, but we really need to take care not to inadvertantly influence voters in a negative way.

Nevertheless, I might give some extra weight to a letter arriving from overseas from an ex-pat US citizen, especially if they described ways that US foreign policy is harming them. For example, the weak dollar would probably be a good issue to bring up, if the ex-pat is paid in dollars while their expenses are in a local currency. Or maybe the ex-pat is having to take extra security precautions due to local perceptions concerning US policies. Letters like that would definitely highlight Ron Paul's positions in a positive way.

thomaseusin
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Eponym_mi nailed it.

Also be sure to include as much personal information as you are comfortable with, such as your name, nationality (US hopefully), overseas address, US address, email, picture etc.. and encourage them to get in touch with you for a chat.

Gives a sense of warmth instead of the machine generated letters.

Click Here for the Ron Paul Letter Writing Campaign (http://www.louislogan.com/letters/index.asp) for legitimate addresses.

RonPaulCult
01-17-2008, 11:15 AM
We would definitely turn off a lot of voters doing that. I'm not xenophobic, but we really need to take care not to inadvertantly influence voters in a negative way.

Nevertheless, I might give some extra weight to a letter arriving from overseas from an ex-pat US citizen, especially if they described ways that US foreign policy is harming them. For example, the weak dollar would probably be a good issue to bring up, if the ex-pat is paid in dollars while their expenses are in a local currency. Or maybe the ex-pat is having to take extra security precautions due to local perceptions concerning US policies. Letters like that would definitely highlight Ron Paul's positions in a positive way.

Yeah I hear that - the euro is kicking the dollars butt and I really am feeling it. The only problem with writing a letter from Spain is that the postal service is so bad.

I'm starting to think I should contact HQ and ask how much help they would want from an ex-pat like me

Bradley in DC
01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Take one in DC Ward 8.