PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO KIOSKs in Malls

nuklbone
01-17-2008, 08:21 AM
What do you guys think about setting up kiosks in shopping malls with large screen monitors and computers that allow people walking by to click on a selection of Ron Paul videos? Old people shop. Maybe that would help reach some folks that wouldn't otherwise hear about Ron Paul.

EvilEngineer
01-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, now that the holiday season is over, it is practical to do it. Rental costs are about $1500 - $2500 per month depending on mall.

Add in manufacturing price of the kiosk.
3x 21" TVs ~$250 each
3 way Video splitter ~ $250
auto repeating Dvd-player ~ $200
Kiosk Design (Materials, labor) ~ $1500 - if contracted, ~$200 if done by grassroots

So the startup price would be about $5,000 per kiosk for all materials and a month of rental.

beachmaster
01-17-2008, 08:40 AM
What do you guys think about setting up kiosks in shopping malls with large screen monitors and computers that allow people walking by to click on a selection of Ron Paul videos? Old people shop. Maybe that would help reach some folks that wouldn't otherwise hear about Ron Paul.

I work for a company that imports touchscreen kiosks. I'm about to buy one to put in our local mall which will be used to make money (of course a lot of the money I make from it will go into our local grass roots effort) by giving away freebies to people who step up to take surveys.

I hadn't thought about the Ron Paul angle on the kiosk however. Now I'm thinking... I don't know if this would be cost effective or not but you could put a graphic decal on the exterior of the kiosk cabinet that says "WHO IS RON PAUL?" Take this survey and get a $500 Visa Gift Card!! (During the survey you have to click through numerous sponsors and accept or reject their offer... that's where the money comes from for the gift card, or gift certificate as the case may be).

I'd have to noodle with this idea a bit. Again, I am not sure if this is cost effective, as the kiosk itself with computer costs about $2600. Honestly, that's a lot of money that could go to local TV, Billboards, signs, newspaper ads, etc.

We have a double monitor kiosk whereby the lower monitor could be used for the survey and the upper monitor could be a continuous commercial. Here's what the double monitor kiosk looks like:

http://emeraldcoastkiosk.com/images/products/i5800_th.gif

It costs a little more than a single monitor unit...

You can get free space in the mall by giving the mall a part of the earnings the kiosk brings in (ok, so it's not free, but it's also not out of pocket up front money either).

Dustancostine
01-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Beachmaster,
what is the name of the kiosk company and how does it work. I do business in 16 different malls in the US and might be interested.

--Dustan

liberty_Forever
01-17-2008, 08:49 AM
The malls are going to be empty soon.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/01/glut-of-mall-space-headed-our-way.html

beachmaster
By the way, our local mall has told one of our meetup members that we could have a table in the mall for giving out literature at no charge. There were a couple of catches.. the biggest one was that there is a two week waiting period from when you put in the application, which for us in FL wasn't good because our primary is now less than 2 weeks away and we wanted to focus on other activities. But check with your mall... maybe they will just let you set up since it's a not for profit deal. Set up a table and hand out literature. Not as fancy as a kiosk, but hey, look at the cost factor!

beachmaster
Beachmaster,
what is the name of the kiosk company and how does it work. I do business in 16 different malls in the US and might be interested.

--Dustan

I'll PM you.

fuzzybekool
01-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Time is quickly the enemy now and although a good idea, I doubt it will have enough time to have an impact. After Super Tuesday, things will be pretty much decided unless no candidate wins a majoirty of the states and the delegates.