PDA

View Full Version : Amazing response to racism smearing. Use it!

Dylbro
01-17-2008, 12:48 AM
I was reading around and ran into an amazing response that I would encourage others to use when Dr. Paul is accused of racism.

Article was found here.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/16/richard_viguerie_goes_online_f.html

Here is an amazing response to the random "google ron paul racism" spammers.

byrdland49,, if you're relying on the "mainstream media" for your news coverage, I can understand the source of your opinion about Ron Paul and the newsletters, produced by ghostwriters (apparently without any oversight by Dr. Paul) after he had left politics and returned to his ob/gyn practice full-time.

"News" of the newsletters was released on the day of the New Hampshire primary by a supporter of Rudy Guiliani, working for an avowedly liberal magazine, in a transparent attempt to harm Dr. Paul's campaign. ("News" is in quotation marks because the newsletters had been "old news" in Dr. Paul's district for years, and despite them, his constituents saw fit to return him to office for 10 terms in the House of Representatives.)

You may also want to do a Google search for "Ron Paul" and "NAACP." That search will lead you to radio interviews with Austin, Texas NAACP President Nelson Linder. As a black person who has known Ron Paul for 20 years. Mr. Linder is presumably in a good position to know whether or not Dr. Paul is a bigot. Mr. Linder refutes claims that Dr. Paul is a racist, and says he's being attacked because he's a threat to the establishment. This really IS news, but this story has received zero coverage in the "mainstream" media.

It may also interest you to know that Dr. Paul seems to have more support from minorities than any other republican candidate (also a legitimate news story, also unreported by the "mainstream" media.) (I apologize for not having a citation for this, other than an interview with Dr. Paul on CNN. And you seem to believe he's lying about the newsletters, so you may choose to believe he's lying about everything else.)

As a longtime supporter of his, I'm also disappointed that Dr. Paul didn't respond more forcefully to this character assassination. But that just doesn't seem to be his style. As a libertarian who practices what he preaches, Dr. Paul really doesn't care what you think! He believes that your thoughts and opinions are your business, and you have a right to them...no matter how ugly or disagreeable they may be to him or anyone else. I think this is probably why he hasn't "outed" the ghostwriters who worked on those newsletters (if he even knows who they are). He thinks they're entitled to their opinions. Why? Because freedom of speech and freedom of thought are the cornerstone of our political system. Dr. Paul is the only Constitutional candidate in the race...and the First Amendment protects the rights of figures like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. or Malcolm X or Al Sharpton just as much as it protects the rights of anyone spouting racist or bigoted nonsense. You can't get one without the other.

As a veteran of a number of political campaigns, I wish Dr. Paul had been more "politically correct" in his response. I wish there had been more "mainstream" coverage of the fact that Dr. Paul thinks economist Walter Williams (who, by the way, is black) would make a great running mate. Or the fact that he always votes against awarding Congressional Medals of Freedom (because such an expenditure is not authorized by the Constitution) but when Rosa Parks was nominated for one, he offered to chip in money from his own pocket so the taxpayers didn't have to foot the bill. (None of his colleagues took him up on his offer, and instead raided the Treasury (i.e., your pocketbook).

Unfortunately, the American electorate has been sufficiently dumbed down that it merely takes an accusation of racism to destroy a candidate. But again, that's just not who Ron Paul is. He's the Anti-Romney. He's non-slick and non-calculating. He's essentially a freedom-loving policy wonk who wants to strip power from an out-of-control, financially and morally bankrupt federal bureaucracy and return it to the individual American citizen.

It's tragic to think that the American electorate is so easily manipulated, and that political correctness has run amok to the extent that we can't even have an honest dialog about racism in politics and society...in this of all years.

And finally, from his website, www.ronpaul2008.com, here's his statement on racism: "A nation that once prided itself on a sense of rugged individualism has become uncomfortably obsessed with racial group identities.

The collectivist mindset is at the heart of racism.

Government as an institution is particularly ill-suited to combat bigotry. Bigotry at its essence is a problem of the heart, and we cannot change people's hearts by passing more laws and regulations.

It is the federal government that most divides us by race, class, religion, and gender. Through its taxes, restrictive regulations, corporate subsidies, racial set-asides, and welfare programs, government plays far too large a role in determining who succeeds and who fails. Government "benevolence" crowds out genuine goodwill by institutionalizing group thinking, thus making each group suspicious that others are receiving more of the government loot. This leads to resentment and hostility among us.

Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than as individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism.

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence - not skin color, gender, or ethnicity.

In a free society, every citizen gains a sense of himself as an individual, rather than developing a group or victim mentality. This leads to a sense of individual responsibility and personal pride, making skin color irrelevant. Racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty."

Posted by: kathleen | January 16, 2008 09:57 AM

Side note: Recent hit piece by CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/16/politics/animal/main3721817.shtml
Article tries very hard to lead its readers into the conclusions he wants. Disturbing how bold the false attacks are now going. I am personally fed up and boycotting any station putting out these attacks.