PDA

View Full Version : Ron leaves Nevada to head to South Carolina

Scott Wilson
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jan/16/11th-hour-ron-paul-holds-his-maverick-strategy/

Bad idea in my opinion. Better to have a strong showing in one state than a weaker showing in two.

"He is heading east to campaign in South Carolina, whose Republican primary is garnering far more attention...no Republican has campaigned here [nevada] more..."

It is up to us, that is for sure.

JustBcuz
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jan/16/11th-hour-ron-paul-holds-his-maverick-strategy/

Bad idea in my opinion. Better to have a strong showing in one state than a weaker showing in two.

"He is heading east to campaign in South Carolina, whose Republican primary is garnering far more attention...no Republican has campaigned here [nevada] more..."

It is up to us, that is for sure.

Dunno. It's a gamble, but it could pay off big.

Huck & Fred should split the Bible-thumper vote. Romney & Rudy are gonna suck there. Who knows w/McCain. It'll probably be a low % total to win the thing.

The south is fairly fertile RP territory too.

We get even 10-15% there to go with a strong NV...and who knows ...:) :) :)

Yom
01-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Eh....I'm not sure how smart that is. We used to be doing well in SC (an independently done poll with 50,000 responses had us in the lead with 7,000, although 8,000 were undecided), but I think we really have to fight that "can't get elected" stereotype. It's absolutely killing us. I'd rather do badly in SC but do very well in Nevada (a win would be amazing), so we can shake off that stereotype and get all those timid RP supporters out of the woodworks to support a winner!

JustBcuz
01-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Eh....I'm not sure how smart that is. We used to be doing well in SC (an independently done poll with 50,000 responses had us in the lead with 7,000, although 8,000 were undecided), but I think we really have to fight that "can't get elected" stereotype. It's absolutely killing us. I'd rather do badly in SC but do very well in Nevada (a win would be amazing), so we can shake off that stereotype and get all those timid RP supporters out of the woodworks to support a winner!

Like I said, I dunno, it's a gamble. I guess we'll find out this weekend. ;)

I'm hoping that the campaign knows something we don't know, and feels comfortable leaving NV.

JMO
01-17-2008, 12:12 AM
In my opinion dump SC and focus on Nevada. Winning a state would do wonders for the campaign.

nate895
01-17-2008, 12:15 AM
I think w/ Nevada, we either got it or we don't at this point, I agree with the decision, we can try to get 12+points in South Carolina, and be a player for third, that w/ a first would be like a tsunami. A miracle win in South Carolina w/Nevada would propel us to victory.

gaazn
01-17-2008, 12:33 AM
mistake to go to sc when nevada is so close. but i think his real goal is to beat rudy in every state possible. since nevada is a lock to beat rudy, then sc he goes...

idiom
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Nevada will come down to organising turn out at caucuses and caucusing effectively.

Ball
01-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Nevada will come down to organising turn out at caucuses and caucusing effectively.

Agreed. We just have to find the Ron Paul supporters and drag them to the caucus. It's too late to make DEDICATED supporters who will sit through a boring-ass speech, let alone be a delegate.

A FORCEFUL speech by Ron in some public venue could help churn out a few more, but it's really up to the boots on the ground to make this happen.

An ad would help too. I've heard a skillful Obama ad on the radio here which tells Republicans and independents that they can change their registration and caucus for him. Ron could do something similar, but time is slipping away for such an ad!

specsaregood
01-17-2008, 01:33 AM

Yeah, maybe we should setup a wake-up call system. :) 9am on a saturday could be tough for some of our younger voters, especially if in the service industry and working late Friday night.

Kotin
01-17-2008, 01:50 AM
i think he should have stayed in NV but its ok i guess, he is the only one with tv ads.

Edu
01-17-2008, 05:19 AM
I said "Go Paul!", and he left the State! :D

The media here is done with him, they showed him, he was on radio shows, now it's not news anymore. So it's a good move on his part. He can get some media there to talk about him.

Hit the bars and get the no tax on tips vote out. Go eat out more for the next few days at restaurants, leave a tip and a flyer.

PDF file for simple flyers you can print are here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=91199

Joel High
01-17-2008, 08:09 AM
A 1st or 2nd in Nevada out weighs a 3rd or 4th in SC. I win would sure give us a lot of credibility and would have a huge swing with all of those "I like him but" people.

Should have spent the whole week in Nevada.

smtwngrl
01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I wish he was going to be in Nevada, too, especially with Mitt Romney in Nevada today. Nice article, though. Was it in the print edition of the Las Vegas Sun?

http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2008/01/16/0116_met_CAMPAIGNS04_t651.jpg?f88c8649bbadbb805ebb 7b1c2020cc5b10765421

TonySutton
01-18-2008, 01:46 PM
I am guessing RP wants to make sure he gets atleast 5th in SC. Plus he does not want to alienate all the hard working RP supporters in SC. He may need them again later this year ;)

Jae0
01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I am guessing RP wants to make sure he gets atleast 5th in SC. Plus he does not want to alienate all the hard working RP supporters in SC. He may need them again later this year ;)

Agreed.

WilliamC
01-18-2008, 02:32 PM
mistake to go to sc when nevada is so close. but i think his real goal is to beat rudy in every state possible. since nevada is a lock to beat rudy, then sc he goes...

+1

santopia
01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
He'll be in SC [where the media is covering the GOP] when they announce his win in NV.

Smart move.

freelance
01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a little different take. I suspect that he realizes that in NV the fix is already in. Did you see the PR about chaos in the NV caucuses?

“The inconsistencies, errors and multiple changes in the rules reek of playing politics with the what should be a neutral process,” said Ron Paul 2008 campaign manager Lew Moore. “The people of Nevada deserve to know exactly what the rules are and to know that those rules are being fairly enforced. This has not happened up to this point, and the caucus appears to be in chaos.”

morerocklesstalk
01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't think he needs to be here in Nevada, but I do wish he would take aim at Romney a little more. He needs to bring Mitt's stance on Yucca Mountain to the foreground and really excentuate that he is the only Republican firmly against it.

Romney's continuation of false promises is just hilarous. First he promises jobs in Michigan that have been dwindling since the 1980's and now Romney says in a TV ad that the U.S. will see more change in the next 10 years than in the last 10 centuries.

Really Mitt? Really?

He is the Republican version of Obama. The fog of vagueness and weak stances surrounding him make everything to everyone, just like Obama. Dr. Paul needs to shine light on this and hand him a pair of flip-flops.

freelance
01-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Romney's continuation of false promises is just hilarous. First he promises jobs in Michigan that have been dwindling since the 1980's and now Romney says in a TV ad that the U.S. will see more change in the next 10 years than in the last 10 centuries.

Really Mitt? Really?

Did you see today that GM has offered a buy-out to all hourly wage earners? They expect 1/2 of them to take it. Gee, I wonder if the timing of this buyout announcement was planned to hit AFTER the primary?

morerocklesstalk
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Did you see today that GM has offered a buy-out to all hourly wage earners? They expect 1/2 of them to take it. Gee, I wonder if the timing of this buyout announcement was planned to hit AFTER the primary?

It's all in Mitt's plan. We will see more innovation in 10 years than the past 10 centuries. Cars will be obsolete by next year and the GM employees will find new jobs at the flying car that runs on used diapers plant.

Flash
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Bad move. I have a feeling South Carolina will belong to Huckabee or Thompson. He should focus on Nevada.