PDA

View Full Version : I need LEGAL help with Newspaper ad in NEOCON stronghold. NOT MONEY

MadViking10
01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
MY meetup group and some other concerned citizens are collecting $1150 to run a full page ad in our towns newspaper. (The ad will be the same that LLepord ran in the USA TODAY with only minor updates.) Looks like we're going to hit the goal to fund the ad as we are now only $310 away.

My questions about the ad are these...

Is it legal to run the ad if we put the names of everyone that donated along with the same disclaimers that LLepord ran?

Is LLepord OK with us both running the ad and making some changes to it to remove the tea party reference and other info that is outdated?

This is important as our town is a big military town. Its actually where the military trains their soldiers on how to interview prisoners. Southern Arizona.

Thanks for any help. :)

libertythor
01-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Bump

HillbillyDan
01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
blimp, not a lawyer, but I'd like to hear the advice

freelance
01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
MY meetup group and some other concerned citizens are collecting $1150 to run a full page ad in our towns newspaper. (The ad will be the same that LLepord ran in the USA TODAY with only minor updates.) Looks like we're going to hit the goal to fund the ad as we are now only $310 away.

My questions about the ad are these...

Is it legal to run the ad if we put the names of everyone that donated along with the same disclaimers that LLepord ran?

Is LLepord OK with us both running the ad and making some changes to it to remove the tea party reference and other info that is outdated?

This is important as our town is a big military town. Its actually where the military trains their soldiers on how to interview prisoners. Southern Arizona.

Thanks for any help. :)

You might want to send him a PM. He was fine with anyone running the ad. I just can't remember what was said about modifications. There were so many threads on the ad that searching would probably take you half a day.

ewizacft
01-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I think LLepord gave permission to use the ad and judging from the way he types here, he wants it to get out to as many people as possible. If I remember correctly he said something like its the ron paul forum's ad, since everyone contributed to creating it.

MadViking10
01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Anyone have any idea about the legalitys as far as campaing finance laws? Is it ok as long as its just a group of private citizens with no connection to the campaign?

slamhead
01-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Just state that the ad was paid for by a grassroots meetup to elect Ron Paul. This ad is not endorsed by any official campaign.

MadViking10
01-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Just state that the ad was paid for by a grassroots meetup to elect Ron Paul. This ad is not endorsed by any official campaign.
Some people that donated are not even in our meetup, some are from the Tucson group, others are not even in a meetup group. Does this make a difference? I'm a little spooked about the whole deal to be honest. :confused:

rodboev
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Some people that donated are not even in our meetup, some are from the Tucson group, others are not even in a meetup group. Does this make a difference? I'm a little spooked about the whole deal to be honest. :confused:

Are you taking out an ad or having a newborn?

MadViking10
01-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Are you taking out an ad or having a newborn?

Getting an ad, but I'd kind of like to stay out of legal trouble. Thanks for your question.

MadViking10
01-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Bump for help from the day crew. Now we are less than $300 short of the goal.

davidfarrar
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
As long as you are not selling anything, from my own political experience, you can publish anything you want. It's free speech. You don't need no diclaimer or be worried about using any copyrighted material.

Mark
01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Here's the IRS page you need to check: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml

Best would be if you had one person to handle the money and they make an "Independent Expenditure" to purchase the ads.

BreakYourChains
01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Bump

Mark
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Who's got the 411?

MadViking10
01-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Here's the IRS page you need to check: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml

Best would be if you had one person to handle the money and they make an "Independent Expenditure" to purchase the ads.

I'm far from a lawyer and cant understand any of the stuff on the FEC page. I guess what I need to know is if there a problem with just posting the names of all that paid for the ad?

(Less than $200 away now. Really looks like this ad will run if it doesn't get any of us in trouble. :D