PDA

View Full Version : Are "PC Libertarians" Really Statists in Disguise?

Bradley in DC
01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/46477.html

Are "PC Libertarians" Really Statists in Disguise?

Among the more curious arguments made in the wake of the Ron Paul newsletters affair is the charge that those libertarians who decried the racism and homophobia of the newsletters are revealing their underlying statism. The most complete version of this argument is here. You can also see it here, where I've been declared a "Libertarian War Criminal" for "Siding with the State’s Thought Control in the Ron Paul Newsletter Affair." It has also been made in different forms, or cut and pasted from the first blog, into a number of comments threads at Hit & Run and elsewhere...

Ernest
01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
You can definately see government public schools at work.

Mark Rushmore
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Yes.

electronicmaji
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
statists? We haven't had a statist movement in america for 50 years. Statists are just overglorified communists...so really....no..

constituent
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
statists? We haven't had a statist movement in america for 50 years. Statists are just overglorified communists...so really....no..

kidding, right?

and yes... i can think of several "libertarian" statists

MsDoodahs
01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
"To suggest that anti-racism libertarians are somehow secret statists because opposition to racism must necessarily lead to state imposition of those views is both a distortion of the actual arguments people like me have made and flies in the face of a long history of libertarians being both anti-racist and anti-state."

And to suggest that those who defend the individual's right to be racist are somehow racists themselves is likewise a distortion, and flies in the face of libertarianism, period.

In answer to the question, are those "PC Libertarians" really statists in disguise?

Yes, most assuredly so.

<waves hello to the warmongering bunch of PC Libertarians at Cato and Reason>

Cyclone
01-16-2008, 07:45 PM
"To suggest that anti-racism libertarians are somehow secret statists because opposition to racism must necessarily lead to state imposition of those views is both a distortion of the actual arguments people like me have made and flies in the face of a long history of libertarians being both anti-racist and anti-state."

And to suggest that those who defend the individual's right to be racist are somehow racists themselves is likewise a distortion, and flies in the fact of libertarianism, period.

In answer to the question, are those "PC Libertarians" really statists in disguise?

Yes, most assuredly so.

<waves hello to the warmongering bunch of PC Libertarians at Cato and Reason>

Stands next to Ms. Doodahs and waves as well.

LibertyOfOne
01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
How does one who does not want to be associated with racism a statist? There is no use of government force to not associated with or tolerate racist shit. By Libertarian standards Ron is a statist. Just that he is the least statist of those running.

CountryboyRonPaul
01-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Having discretion about what one associates with does not make one a Statist.

That's like saying Gays that don't make out in public are statists for conforming to the whims of society and culture.

A Candidate that has no discretion is a candidate who fails in our stupid PC system.

This really has to be one of the saddest things I've heard in a while

Ernest
01-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Well said!

BarryDonegan
01-16-2008, 10:46 PM
"creedism" is the belief that having certain beliefs or values makes one more or less superior.

it is protected by the EXACT same line in the bill of rights as race and religion

ErikBlack
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Exactly!

Detonator
01-16-2008, 11:18 PM
This is absurd. Statists arguing statists. To anarchists, everyone here is a statist. If you would really like to argue this, start this discussion at Strike The Root. (http://www.strike-the-root.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.pl)

constituent
01-17-2008, 05:12 AM
This is absurd. Statists arguing statists. To anarchists, everyone here is a statist. If you would really like to argue this, start this discussion at Strike The Root. (http://www.strike-the-root.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.pl)

so i guess that'd be the 'official' hangout for the real 'anarchists' :rolleyes: