PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of advice on edits to my letter

Gertie
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I need to get this out to my precinct ASAP butI have been staring at it for the past 4 hours trying to whittle it down. It's almost one page, but is slightly too long. Any glaring errors, edits/feedback/places I can delete or simplify? I tried to keep in mind the "Sell the hole, not the drill" philosophy, but I am no salesperson, so I need some quick feedback.

BTW, I'll be giving out the "Common Sense" handout someone posted here with the letter.
Dear Neighbor,

My name is Gertie*, and I am one of your neighbors in this voting precinct. I am writing this letter to you as a concerned citizen in order to spread the news that there is a conscientious candidate worth voting for in the South Carolina Republican primary: Congressman Ron Paul.

Ron Paul is a 10-term U.S. Representative from Texas, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, and an OB/GYN physician who has delivered over 4,000 babies. He is a strict supporter of the Constitution of the United States (so much he is known as “Dr. No” at the Capitol because he votes against any bill that he sees as unconstitutional). Dr. Paul stands out as the only major Republican candidate who refuses financial support from Washington special interests and lobbies. Instead, his campaign is funded entirely by ordinary Americans like you and I, and he has significantly more support from members of America's armed forces than any other GOP candidate, including fellow vet John McCain.

As you well know, the Greenville area has been hit hard in recent decades by the NAFTA trade regulations, government bloating, and offshoring of textile and manufacturing jobs to China and India, as well as the growing populations of illegal aliens using taxpayer resources. Add to that the increasing devaluation of the dollar leading to rising gas and grocery prices, plus the nearing dry up of Social Security funds around 2013, and things aren't looking so good for the future, are they? If we want to restore life to our local economy, Dr. Paul is the only candidate who has comprehensive and constitutionally sound ideas on how to battle inflation and end the trade deficits, by ending the Federal Reserve's control over our currency and inflation, bringing back small government, eliminating amnesty and subsidizations for illegal aliens, allowing young people the choice of opting out of social security payments, and phasing out the IRS. Can you imagine not having to pay an income tax and how the returns from investment instead of taxation would help our economy? Ron Paul can.

As of now, after 3 state primaries, 84,000 Americans have voted their conscience for Ron Paul... more votes than the totals for Fred Thompson and Rudy Guiliani each! His campaign has been endorsed by Barry Goldwater, Jr., Richard Viguerie, and the Pastor Chuck Baldwin. With the GOP primary race still wide open, beating two candidates who had prior to now been termed “front-runners” by the media means Dr. Paul still has a good chance to win the Republican presidential nomination with our votes.

Join me in revitalizing our nation’s future by voting for Ron Paul in the Republican Presidential Primary on this Saturday, January 19th. The South Carolina party primaries are open to ALL registered voters, so you can vote in the Republican primary, no matter whether you are a registered Republican, Democrat, or independent. In this primary, please vote your conscience and common sense. As Ron Paul and our nation's founders would agree, that kind of vote is never a wasted vote.

In order to begin healing our hemorrhaging economy, suture the gashes in the border and trade deficits, and resuscitate our fading civil liberties, we need a doctor with a conscience in office, and that doctor is Ron Paul.

Best Regards,

Gertie

Find out more about Congressman Ron Paul at:

http://www.RonPaul2008.com/ • 1 (877) RON-PAUL • http://www.ultimateronpaul.com/*-(not real name obv.)

Sey.Naci
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
My two cents' worth:

My name is Gertie*, and I am one of your neighbors in this voting precinct. I am writing to you as a concerned citizen to spread the news of a conscientious man who is running for presidential nomination in the South Carolina Republican primary.

He is a 10-term Congressman, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, and an OB/GYN who has helped deliver over 4,000 babies. He is a strict supporter of the Constitution, with a voting record to prove it, and lobbyists have learned not to bother trying to solicit his favor. He stands out as the only major Republican candidate whose campaign refuses financial support from Washington special interests or corporate donors. Instead, his campaign is funded entirely by individual Americans citizens, with more donor support from members of America's armed forces than any other GOP candidate, including fellow veteran John McCain.

As you well know, the Greenville area has been hit hard in recent decades by the NAFTA trade regulations, government bloating, and offshoring of textile and manufacturing jobs, and the growing numbers of illegal aliens using taxpayer resources. Add to that the increasing devaluation of the dollar leading to rising gas and grocery prices, plus the bleeding of Social Security funds, and things aren't looking so good for the future, are they? To restore life to our local economy, we need a candidate who has comprehensive and constitutionally sound ideas on how to battle inflation and end our trade deficits, by ending the Federal Reserve's control over our currency and inflation, cutting back on the size of the federal government, eliminating amnesty and subsidization of illegal aliens, allowing young people the choice of opting out of social security payments, and phasing out the IRS. Can you imagine not having to pay an income tax and how those returns from investment could help our economy?

Dr. Ron Paul can and he knows how to do it.

As of now, after 3 state primaries, 84,000 Americans have voted their conscience for Congressman Ron Paul... more votes than the totals for Fred Thompson and Rudy Guiliani! His campaign has been endorsed by Barry Goldwater, Jr., Richard Viguerie, and Pastor Chuck Baldwin. With the GOP primary race still wide open, beating two candidates who had prior to now been termed “front-runners” by the media means Dr. Paul has a good chance of winning the Republican presidential nomination - with our votes.

Join me in revitalizing our nation’s future by voting for Ron Paul in the Republican Presidential Primary on this Saturday, January 19th. The South Carolina party primaries are open to ALL registered voters, so you can vote in the Republican primary, no matter whether you are a registered Republican, Democrat, or independent. In this primary, please vote your conscience and common sense. Please vote for Congressman Ron Paul.