PDA

View Full Version : Target you audience: Learn to Speak Republican

fmontez
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I am sure you have all noticed that National has a wide variety of Slim Jims available, each targeting a specific population. As a Precinct Captain one major mistake I have seen is this belief that all Ron Paul supporters agree with his position on the Iraq War.

Talking about the war is not the best way to approach conservative voters; I highly suggest speaking about Ron Paul’s economic platform. If you have to you can even downplay the whole Iraq war policy, after all your 99% friend is not your 1% enemy.

As a die hard Republican and Ron Paul supporter I still get my feathers in a ruffle if a fellow RP Supporter talks to firmly about the Iraq war. I also encourage supporters to not wax poetic about 9/11 conspiracy, fraud, the CFR, and some of the other far fringe issues (let them bring up those ideas first.)

Insults and threats against other candidates and/or the GOP is also not a great idea when wooing a Republican.

angrydragon
01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Have to make the neoconservative minded see that they are actually thinking like a liberal with all the spending and intrusions of liberty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism

zadrock
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
If the war does come up, it may be worth noting that we can't afford to continue fighting. Put the war in economic terms. The head of the GAO (David Walker) says we, as a country, are bankrupt. Our debt obligations are $54 trillion and growing. Ask older voters whether they would give up their Social Security checks to fund the War on Terror and then point out that they'll have to do it anway because we're broke and no one besides Ron Paul will fix it.

Z

acptulsa
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Reagan was a conservative. He deregulated industries and completely wiped out the Interstate Commerce Commission. These so-called neo-cons have created the biggest bureaucracy yet and its all about poking their noses into our business like Democrats do, but worse. Katrina proved that Reagan was right about government being the problem, not the solution, but all the other candidates have abandoned him. Ron Paul is the only candidate this year who is worthy to wear Ron Reagan's mantle.

Sound right (pun intended) to you?

acptulsa
01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Moderator: How about placing this thread not just here, where it's needed most now, but all over this board? This is important!

WilliamC
01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Excellent advice. Speak to your audience, not to yourself.

itsnobody
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Right, talk about things like how Ron Paul is pro-life, pro-2nd amendment, the best on economics, the best on gun rights, wants less government involvement, lower taxes, less regulation, wants to abolish the IRS without a fair tax, is against the welfare state, wants to secure the border, not give amnesty, has a 20 year congressional record

fmontez
01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Reagan was a conservative. He deregulated industries and completely wiped out the Interstate Commerce Commission. These so-called neo-cons have created the biggest bureaucracy yet and its all about poking their noses into our business like Democrats do, but worse. Katrina proved that Reagan was right about government being the problem, not the solution, but all the other candidates have abandoned him. Ron Paul is the only candidate this year who is worthy to wear Ron Reagan's mantle.

Sound right (pun intended) to you?

Nope, way too negative. The neo-cons are our brothers and sister... we are all one big happy party. I would be turned off by that speech.

snaFU
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Nope, way too negative. The neo-cons are our brothers and sister... we are all one big happy party. I would be turned off by that speech.

uh, its 100% truth which needs to be told

Maz2331
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I see the issue as a simple choice to Republicans:

Do you care more about Iraq or America?

itsnobody
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM

It's not way too negative, according to polls over 80% of Republicans think that Bush is NOT a Ronald Reagan conservative

Also Ronald Reagan withdrew troops from Lebanon after realizing it was a mistake...he's frequently quoted saying that Lebanon was his biggest mistake

ddoggphx
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
This thread is dead-on.

Paul's anti-war stance is great for the general election.

His fiscal policy and stop hemmoraging money talk and his prolife stance is perfect for the Republican base.

If you don't convert the latter group, you won't be swinging punches in the general election.

fmontez
01-16-2008, 04:48 PM
It's not way too negative, according to polls over 80% of Republicans think that Bush is NOT a Ronald Reagan conservative

Also Ronald Reagan withdrew troops from Lebanon after realizing it was a mistake...he's frequently quoted saying that Lebanon was his biggest mistake

Perhaps if this was uttered by a Republican... but I think a lot of Republicans still doubt Ron Paul is a real GOP'er.. and doubt his followers.

I know, I have gotten some funny looks lately from friends/family when they find out I support Ron Paul. It is VERY hard to be a Republican supporting Ron Paul.. I think the 3rd Party people should take the time to really thank the hard core Republicans that are sticking with Ron Paul.. we take a lot of crap for our support.

zadrock
01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Perhaps if this was uttered by a Republican... but I think a lot of Republicans still doubt Ron Paul is a real GOP'er.. and doubt his followers.

I know, I have gotten some funny looks lately from friends/family when they find out I support Ron Paul. It is VERY hard to be a Republican supporting Ron Paul.. I think the 3rd Party people should take the time to really thank the hard core Republicans that are sticking with Ron Paul.. we take a lot of crap for our support.

Hey, it's no cakewalk for us former Democrats. I picture my current self traveling back in time to talk to the 1990s version of me and telling the 90s me that when your first opportunity to vote for a woman or black person for President comes up, you're going to vote for the oldest white man running. :eek:

And since I'm a black guy married to a Wellesley woman, it's even funnier...

Z

Nash
01-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Take a good look at the conservative republican slim jim. Use it for your talking points. There is no mention of the war on there for a reason.

Beyond Good & Evil
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
And since I'm a black guy married to a Wellesley woman, it's even funnier...

Z

Haha...that's great. :)

espot
01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
good advise