PDA

View Full Version : How To Beat the "He Can't Win Mentality"

Rob
01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
All of you are approaching this from the wrong angle. You're trying to use logic to explain irrational people. I've made this mistake several times and it has cost me horribly.

To soundly beat the "he can't win problem" all you have to do is trick them into thinking he is winning. This is much easier done than you think. Remember, we're dealing with idiots here, so you don't have to present a logical argument. In fact a logical argument is virtually useless with these people. We simply need to create the perception everywhere that he is winning, and then he will be winning because everyone thinks he's winning.

So here are my suggestions for how to trick many people into thinking Ron Paul is winning.

1) Get signs up everywhere as much as possible. I don't mean in just the days before the election. I mean RIGHT NOW. If people see Ron Paul signs everywhere, and only Ron Paul signs, it will begin to convince them that he's more important and viable.

2) Tell everyone that he's won the past 9 or 10 debates or however, many it has been. For those that don't watch them, this usually impresses.

3)Talk about how much money he has raised. Make sure you say that he has raised more money than all the other Republican candidates in the 4th quarter.

Just keep hammering these points home, and always talk in the language of winning, even if at times it may be slightly deceptive. The one thing we can't change is the previous primary results. If confronted with that, tell them that they only account for about 4% of the delegates so they don't really matter.

If anyone has any other good ones please suggest them.

NinjaPirate
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I try to tell people to vote based on principle, not on who they think will win.

IntruderII
01-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I usually say: "Quite the contrary, with 70% of the American people against the war, he's the only republican who will have a chance of beating Obama."

freedom-maniac
01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
And that he's finished ahead of the national frontrunner in MI and IO.

Rob
01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I usually say: "Quite the contrary, with 70% of the American people against the war, he's the only republican who will have a chance of beating Obama."
%
Yes very nice! However, I believe it's 75% and not only is Paul the best to defeat Obama, he's also the best to beat Clinton :D!

Yours is exactly the kind of strategy we need though. Just have keep ramming that message down their throats.

jdmetz
01-16-2008, 02:08 PM
I would be tempted to tell everyone he is expecting to take 1st place in [insert voter's state here]. Or, "he's the only one with a chance of beating [insert candidate polling in 1st that the voter doesn't like]."

After all, if we tell enough people this and get them to believe it, it will become true.

jdmetz
01-16-2008, 02:11 PM

I don't know - this is trying to use logic again. At this point, people don't seem to care who can beat the Dem candidate - just who is viable for the Republican nomination. Being able to beat the Dem nominee is just another plus, but we are facing voters who add up all the plusses, find Ron Paul way in the lead, then vote for someone else who they think has a better chance of winning the nomination.

And that he's finished ahead of the national frontrunner in MI and IO.

I like this one a lot. :)

Rob
01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I try to tell people to vote based on principle, not on who they think will win.

That's a very sensible piece of advice, however, we're not going to win over any morons or sheep with it.

We need to get real; America is not this idyllic country where deep down inside everyone knows what's best for them. Many people are inherently followers of the leaders and not too bright. If we want to win the nomination we need to do a better job targeting them.

Rob
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I would be tempted to tell everyone he is expecting to take 1st place in [insert voter's state here]. Or, "he's the only one with a chance of beating [insert candidate polling in 1st that the voter doesn't like]."

After all, if we tell enough people this and get them to believe it, it will become true.

Exactly, exactly, exactly!

Would Huckabee have been 3rd Michigan if he hadn't done so well in Iowa?

Would McCain have been 2nd in Michigan if he hadn't won New Hampshire?

The beauty of telling everyone you expect him to take first in your state is that if he doesn't, you really haven't lost anything. Because all the people that heard you say that have already had their chance to vote.

minitri97
01-16-2008, 04:40 PM
So your strategy is to trick people into thinking that Ron Paul is doing better than he actually is?

shadowhooch
01-16-2008, 04:49 PM
So your strategy is to trick people into thinking that Ron Paul is doing better than he actually is?

Yes, and it is brilliant. Welcome to politics.:D

fmontez
01-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Argh! I doubt we should be lying in the name of Dr. Paul.

fmontez
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
There is only one way to beat that mentality, for RP to finish #1 in NV.

JohnM
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Argh! I doubt we should be lying in the name of Dr. Paul.

Doubt? I am certain we should not be doing it.

amakris
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM

The McCain "surge" in NH was a pure media creation that *preceded* any polls surge.

Two can play at that game. Ergo, this thread.

Rob
01-16-2008, 08:49 PM
The McCain "surge" in NH was a pure media creation that *preceded* any polls surge.

Two can play at that came. Ergo, this thread.

I agree 100% Alex. I realize doing this may unsettle a few people here, but as shadowhooch mentioned, "welcome to politics." It's a new game for most of us who are part of this movement, but just keep and open mind and pay attention to what works.

shadowhooch
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I want to bump this because I think this is the most brilliant response to "Oh, he can't win."

Just respond with, "Well, he is actually projected to finish 1st in our state. Won't you help us make it happen?"

If they ask where you get that from, just say "it is based upon the network of volunteers in the state and that support for Ron Paul here is massive. It's a Ron Paul stronghold."
Or simply say that's what the latest poll shows (you don't have to say it was an online poll):D.

He, it's not a lie if you believe it.;) MWWAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! ON TO VICTORY!

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-17-2008, 06:10 AM
All of you are approaching this from the wrong angle. You're trying to use logic to explain irrational people. I've made this mistake several times and it has cost me horribly.

To soundly beat the "he can't win problem" all you have to do is trick them into thinking he is winning. This is much easier done than you think. Remember, we're dealing with idiots here, so you don't have to present a logical argument. In fact a logical argument is virtually useless with these people. We simply need to create the perception everywhere that he is winning, and then he will be winning because everyone thinks he's winning.

So here are my suggestions for how to trick many people into thinking Ron Paul is winning.

1) Get signs up everywhere as much as possible. I don't mean in just the days before the election. I mean RIGHT NOW. If people see Ron Paul signs everywhere, and only Ron Paul signs, it will begin to convince them that he's more important and viable.

2) Tell everyone that he's won the past 9 or 10 debates or however, many it has been. For those that don't watch them, this usually impresses.

3)Talk about how much money he has raised. Make sure you say that he has raised more money than all the other Republican candidates in the 4th quarter.

Just keep hammering these points home, and always talk in the language of winning, even if at times it may be slightly deceptive. The one thing we can't change is the previous primary results. If confronted with that, tell them that they only account for about 4% of the delegates so they don't really matter.

If anyone has any other good ones please suggest them.

LOLOLOLOL BEST THESIS EVER

WilliamC
01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
They say "He can't win"

You say

"That's too bad, because America has already lost. According to David Walker, the chief accounting officer for the government, the United States is 52 trillion dollars in debt and, if it were a business, would be bankrupt today."

"He's been touring the country, as part of his official duties, to try and raise public awareness of this. Just a few days ago I saw him on the Glenn Beck program talking about this and why it is behind the fact that the dollar is crashing and inflation is going up."

"And the sad part is, none of the politicians in Washington are willing to tell us about this, except for Ron Paul."

"I'm sorry you won't consider voting for him, because while he might not be able to solve all of the problems we face, at least he isn't lying to the American people about how bad they are, like the other candidates do."

"That's why I'm voting for him, because he is honest and he at least has never voted to increase government spending or for an ubalanced budget."

Of course you will need to have a bit more factual information at your fingertips if people question this, but it is true, and maybe some will respond to it.

Rob
01-17-2008, 06:58 AM
They say "He can't win"

You say

"That's too bad, because America has already lost. According to David Walker, the chief accounting officer for the government, the United States is 52 trillion dollars in debt and, if it were a business, would be bankrupt today."

"He's been touring the country, as part of his official duties, to try and raise public awareness of this. Just a few days ago I saw him on the Glenn Beck program talking about this and why it is behind the fact that the dollar is crashing and inflation is going up."

"And the sad part is, none of the politicians in Washington are willing to tell us about this, except for Ron Paul."

"I'm sorry you won't consider voting for him, because while he might not be able to solve all of the problems we face, at least he isn't lying to the American people about how bad they are, like the other candidates do."

"That's why I'm voting for him, because he is honest and he at least has never voted to increase government spending or for an ubalanced budget."

Of course you will need to have a bit more factual information at your fingertips if people question this, but it is true, and maybe some will respond to it.

Those are some great and rational arguments, but I kindly submit that you're missing the point. This thread is about people who say they agree with things like that but "he can't win." Logic will NOT win those people over. You can argue for hours, and it's not going to convince them. It doesn't matter how right you are. You've got to hit them with powerful emotional and if possible visual appeal.

WilliamC
01-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Those are some great and rational arguments, but I kindly submit that you're missing the point. This thread is about people who say they agree with things like that but "he can't win." Logic will NOT win those people over. You can argue for hours, and it's not going to convince them. It doesn't matter how right you are. You've got to hit them with powerful emotional and if possible visual appeal.

Gee, and I thought that was an emotional appeal. I guess it depends on how it's delivered.

Rob
01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Gee, and I thought that was an emotional appeal. I guess it depends on how it's delivered.

Oh, well, perhaps I underestimated you then.

Naturally, it's very hard to really get that across an internet message board, but yes, I suppose even messages that are very logical can be delivered in an emotional fashion to appeal to people who don't like reason.

Nice point.

therealjjj77
01-17-2008, 10:46 AM

How about just telling them the stuff the media isn't and let the results speak for themselves. That's not tricking anyone or saying he's doing better than he is. That's just being honest.

What have we come to in this country when whatever the media says is "a reliable source" and whatever they don't say is "not verifiable"? So now we are "tricking people" by telling them the truth? Wake up America.

WilliamC
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh, well, perhaps I underestimated you then.

Naturally, it's very hard to really get that across an internet message board, but yes, I suppose even messages that are very logical can be delivered in an emotional fashion to appeal to people who don't like reason.

Nice point.

Logical arguments delivered with honest emotion, the best of both hemispheres :)

Rob
02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
This needs a good bumping right now, and I'll probably keep bumping it every few days unless it gets stickied. This is one of the major problems we face and will face until Paul is leading in the national polls.

pepperpete1
02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Logical arguments delivered with honest emotion, the best of both hemispheres :)

I tell people that it is not over until the fat lady sings and there is a strategy in place that will surprise people like themselves, but I can't tell them what that is because it is a SECRET. So if you like Ron Paul's ideas, but are not going to vote for him because you do not think he can win, you better change your mind, and go ahead and vote for him.

Of course there are people that will vote for the devil himself, if he was running in their party. Baa-a-a-a.