PDA

View Full Version : Historically, has anyone ever won with this strategy?

colin1
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I know that this primary campaign is very different from many in the past in that there is no clear front-runner yet. What I'm wondering is, has anyone historically made the type of comeback we want from Ron in the Republican Primaries? Thanks!

steph3n
01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
well there has never been such a disorganized year that I know of, there have been some brokered conventions however

realist
01-16-2008, 10:03 AM
This year has so many "firsts" , that history is of little significance but to answer your question- NO - a come back from this position in the standings has NEVER been done -EVER.

rdenner
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
According to most pundits. AN PRIMARY ELECTION CYCLE LIKE THIS HASN'T HAPPENED IN MODERN HISTORY!!

This WHOLE thing is unpresidented.. So I think anything can happen..

There is a real possibility that Fred MIGHT win South Carolina and Rudy could win Florida... This would just be WONDERFUL...

They are killing themselves right now and Ron(just like that skating video) is just gliding behind the pack waiting for them to run out of money..

THEN BAM!!! He hits the airwaves with THE SAME EXACT SPEACH HE GAVE IN RESPONSE TO THE "YOU ARE UNELECTABLE QUESTION!!"..

"doubling the size of the Department of Education!! That's conservative?. Sending 30 billion dollars to a dictator that overthrew a DEMOCRATICALLY elected government in Pakistan WHILE our boys are dying to install "democracy" in Iraq!!??".

Watch and learn boys and girls.... Watch and learn.

Robert

colin1
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
This year has so many "firsts" , that history is of little significance but to answer your question- NO - a come back from this position in the standings has NEVER been done -EVER.

I agree, what's happening is totally unprecedented. I just wish Paul was younger :( I'd love to see him do a Reagan '76 and Reagan '80 sorta thing. I'm much more optimistic now then I was after IA and NH. I hadn't taken the time to research it, and I know that many posters here have extensive knowledge when it comes to Presidential campaign history. Well, here's to being the first Republican to ever make a come back victory to take the nomination!

Bradley in DC
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Um, what "strategy" do you think the people running this campaign have? :confused:

Paulitical Correctness
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Historically, has anyone ever won with this strategy?

Ask again in 2009. :)

Redcard
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Um, what "strategy" do you think the people running this campaign have? :confused:

Rope-A-Dope strategy.. whereby Ron Paul simply survives and lets people spend all their money, and then comes back and wins when nobody has any power to fight.

Kinda like Rocky v Clubber Lane.

I have my doubts that it would work, but.. apparently some people think this is going on here.

SilentBull
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
According to most pundits. AN PRIMARY ELECTION CYCLE LIKE THIS HASN'T HAPPENED IN MODERN HISTORY!!

This WHOLE thing is unpresidented.. So I think anything can happen..

There is a real possibility that Fred MIGHT win South Carolina and Rudy could win Florida... This would just be WONDERFUL...

They are killing themselves right now and Ron(just like that skating video) is just gliding behind the pack waiting for them to run out of money..

THEN BAM!!! He hits the airwaves with THE SAME EXACT SPEACH HE GAVE IN RESPONSE TO THE "YOU ARE UNELECTABLE QUESTION!!"..

"doubling the size of the Department of Education!! That's conservative?. Sending 30 billion dollars to a dictator that overthrew a DEMOCRATICALLY elected government in Pakistan WHILE our boys are dying to install "democracy" in Iraq!!??".

Watch and learn boys and girls.... Watch and learn.

Robert

Yeah, right. Like the campaign is actually going to tell the people what Ron Paul stands for.

Wyurm
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM

The "Secret" strategy. Which was to spread a rumor of some secret strategy in the hopes of deflecting critisizm. i.e.: supporter: "The campaign isn't doing anything, grrrrr." other supporter: "yes they are, they're getting ready to release their 'secret strategy'!!! Campaign: " ."

I really shouldn't bash them, after all, we are the campaign.

AlexMerced
01-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Rope-A-Dope strategy.. whereby Ron Paul simply survives and lets people spend all their money, and then comes back and wins when nobody has any power to fight.

Kinda like Rocky v Clubber Lane.

I have my doubts that it would work, but.. apparently some people think this is going on here.

This makes a lot of sense cause:

- Ron is a huge Ali Fan

- Ron used this before in his congressional runs

- They're saving up his money for soemthing, and they know it needs to be spent before super tuesday. We already see offices opening up in ST states.

colin1
01-16-2008, 10:58 AM

The strategy (if you can call it that) seems to be hanging back in the early primaries and saving the money to spend later in the race.

I don't think it's a particularly "good" strategy, but do you honestly think they have no strategy or plan in place? :eek:

AlexMerced
01-16-2008, 11:05 AM
The strategy (if you can call it that) seems to be hanging back in the early primaries and saving the money to spend later in the race.

I don't think it's a particularly "good" strategy, but do you honestly think they have no strategy or plan in place? :eek:

bt do you think traditional strategy would of worked in such a cluttered playing field, we weren't dealth the best hand of cards. Despite what anyone saids there was never a chance of winning NH and IA so it was a smart move. Forgoing MI gave us more time NV which we need cause we can win NV.

colin1
01-16-2008, 11:10 AM
bt do you think traditional strategy would of worked in such a cluttered playing field, we weren't dealth the best hand of cards. Despite what anyone saids there was never a chance of winning NH and IA so it was a smart move. Forgoing MI gave us more time NV which we need cause we can win NV.

I just would've preferred a better performance in IA and NH is all. Not first or second, but third would've been great. It just makes it easier to sell a candidate to potential voters when they do well early and generate some momentum. I'm just gong to continue doing what I'm doing and hope that what HQ has planned works.

AlexMerced
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I just would've preferred a better performance in IA and NH is all. Not first or second, but third would've been great. It just makes it easier to sell a candidate to potential voters when they do well early and generate some momentum. I'm just gong to continue doing what I'm doing and hope that what HQ has planned works.

I agree if you look at the numbers we would of gotten third with a normal turnout which was the goal. Though the huge turnout and super organization by ROmney inda screwed that up. I agree third would of been nice, and it was what the campaign was shooting for.

fmontez
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Primary politics is messed up, remember the candidate COULD be someone that didn't even run for the office if a single candidate doens't have enough delegates.

Todd
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Check out this link (story). This is about delegates. This is a realistic chance.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/PatrickJBuchanan/2007/12/21/is_it_down_to_mitt_and_mike

fmontez
01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree if you look at the numbers we would of gotten third with a normal turnout which was the goal. Though the huge turnout and super organization by ROmney inda screwed that up. I agree third would of been nice, and it was what the campaign was shooting for.

I think the extra turnout was for Ron Paul... so we screwed it up, but in a good way :)

jacmicwag
01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
The strategy from Day 1 - survive and fight another day.

If you finally run out of days to fight - go back to congress or challenge 3rd or 4th party.

Primbs
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Just looking at the history of Republican Conventions, it looks like floor fights are the norm.
This rush to decision for the the nominee is only a recent tradition.

Ron Paul was part of the 1976 convention for Ronald Reagan.

Here are links to stories about other Republican Conventions.

http://blueandgraytrail.com/event/1860_Republican_Convention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1876

http://www.multied.com/elections/Conventions/1912Rep.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Republican_National_Convention

acptulsa
01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks to the mess the country's in, the fact that the primary process is less than fifty years old, the internet and us, no there has never been a situation like this one.

It seems to me that the strategy is (and if the campaign told us, they'd tell the enemy) to win Nevada and take that message into Super Tuesday. If it works, we'll celebrate it as brilliant. If it doesn't, we'll rip it to shreds. I personally, however, can't conceive of a better one.

zbus12
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
At first I too was disappointed with IA and NW results. But now that we know the money is running out for most, the playing field is going to get leveled. What will the media do then, show a 1 or 2 pie chart. Most likely they will use a pie chart with supposed votes for the losers had they stayed in the race. Wouldn't that be a hoot. LOL.

In any event, this movement has awakened many and the revolution will continue. Yes many are just here for this election, but it continue to grow.

I simply must resist the notion that the campaign does not have any idea that it does not know what it is doing. Why would anyone enter a presidential race without a clear idea of the things that would happen, given the message of returning to our constitutional roots which has been long forgotten, without the knowledge of what would be necessary in order to win.

Hey the message stirred up the bucks, and continue to do so. New donations continue to roll in, yes with all its ups and down, but still growing.

If there is any failures to this point, we can only look to ourselves when we too begin to lose our way, to the way of blaming others, and then dropping out, which can only create even more discouragement, especially to those new to the grassroots and this forum. To do so is to say to hell with your family, friends and country,All we can do is actually do what we can and need to do and that is continue to convert undecided and deceived voters. The campaign will do what it needs to do as well, but lets not create anything that the campaign needs to fight or control within the grassroots, or give any fuel for the fire the MSM that will continually seeks to use against Dr. Ron Pauls campaign, especially as the others drop out.

Just remember, duty is mans and the results is Gods. But that doesn't mean sit around and complain, gossip and get yourself all depressed and quit. It means to persevere. The message will never go away unless we make it so. Keep focused, stay positive. Thanks for listening.

scooter
01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Whether it's a good strategy or not, it's the only one they could have tried. No amount of money would have gotten us 1st or 2nd in Iowa and New Hampshire and the campaign knew this.

John P Slevin
01-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I know that this primary campaign is very different from many in the past in that there is no clear front-runner yet. What I'm wondering is, has anyone historically made the type of comeback we want from Ron in the Republican Primaries? Thanks!

If you are asking can someone not win Iowa or New Hampshire...SURE.

When Ron Paul supporters question whether or not he can win they are not looking at the situation intelligently. Ron Paul didn't want to run because he thought no one would listen...remember, he's been holding this same line for a few decades.

He's had enormous success so far. To suggest that he must win a primary or a general election to advance the cause of liberty is to degrade the cause of liberty which is what we support.

wgadget
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Has the nation ever been in this bad a situation economically?

Has any other candidate been so marginalized and ignored by the media?

Has anyone ever raised so much money and organized so many people on the Internet?

We have a new ballgame, folks.

IRO-bot
01-16-2008, 12:16 PM

Good question. I could not tell you.