PDA

View Full Version : F.C.C. to Look at Complaints Comcast Interferes With Net

NeoRayden
01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
F.C.C. to Look at Complaints Comcast Interferes With Net

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Federal Communications Commission will investigate complaints that Comcast actively interferes with Internet traffic as its subscribers try to share files online, the commission’s chairman, Kevin J. Martin, said Tuesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/business/media/09fcc.html

specsaregood
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
If you are using "consumer" comcast internet you are not allowed to run a "server" according to their TOS. Using the torrent software is running a server.

Now what they may have done to vonage customers is would be more worthy of investigation. But you could probably twist it to say the VOIP phone is a server too.

Either way, it is their network, if you don't like it, change providers.

asgardshill
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
RIAA is zeroing in on Bittorrent, EDonkey, and other distributed server technologies, which is why I stick with good ol' Usenet. Yes they make forays there occasionally, but a mere leech like myself can stay safely under the radar (and fill 5 different terabyte drives with content) faster than you can say Jack Robinson. Although its probably the oldest tech out there, Usenet is still the best-kept secret of the Internet.

Cjays
01-16-2008, 11:03 AM
:mad: I absolutely despise the idea of the FCC regulating the internet.

Fox McCloud
01-16-2008, 11:27 AM
the problem with the lack of broadband penetration and lack of competition in the broadband world is a direct result of the FCC; too often has some other cable company wanted to come into a town and compete head-to-head against another cable company...but the FCC will block it (sometimes the towns, in their idiocy will block it).

You'd be really surprised how quickly broadband prices would drop and speeds would increase if you had something like 3 cable companies and 2 telephone companies all competing for broadband subscribers.

Sadly, I don't think this'll happen any time soon; fortunately though, the wireless sector (via Sprint's XOHM) will be a future competitor to all broadband services....it might not be as fast (though 3.5 meg down and 1.5 meg up with low latency is pretty good), it'll be mobile, which could be enough to lure away some hard-line subscribers.

anyway, don't even get me started on the FCC; I've been a HUGE opponent of them, even before I was a Libertarian.