PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Smear Central..CATO

Kingfisher
01-16-2008, 05:49 AM
January 15, 2008
How Blind Hatred Makes You Stupid
Posted by Thomas DiLorenzo at January 15, 2008 07:02 PM

Several people have sent me email links today from various appendages of the hate machine Murray Rothbard used to call the Kochtopus, meaning CATO and other functionaries of billionaire Charles Koch. This is the center of the smear campaign against Ron Paul and almost everyone associated with him. Several of these former Koch Foundation-funded youngsters have been repeating the mantra, emanating from a certain CATO vice president, that those of us associated with this Web site and the Mises Institute "want to bring back the Confederacy."

By saying we want to "bring back the Confederacy" they are suggesting that we want to "bring back slavery." Are people really so stupid that they can read my books and articles, and those of others like Tom Woods, and believe this? The Kochtopus apparently believes that you are indeed that stupid.

If criticizing Lincoln, as classical liberals from Lord Acton to Felix Morley and Murray Rothbard and others have done necessarily makes one a slavery defender, then logic would suggest that anyone who criticizes say, FDR, would necessarily be an advocate of "bringing back Nazi Germany and Fascist Japan." In the "logic" of the Kochtopus, Acton, Morley and Rothbard must have been defenders of slavery. Nothing could be more preposterous and illogical.

Then there's the equally nutty mantra that an organization founded by a Jew, named after a Jew, whose current chairman of the board is Jewish, whose faculty includes several prominent Jewish intellectuals, and whose faculty organized "Jews for Ron Paul," is somehow filled with Holocaust deniers! (Is it not an abomination that all these (mostly) non-Jews are calling my Jewish friends the worst thing they could possibly be called? What kind of scum does this to people he has never met?).

Have you ever heard of a weirder gang of conspiracy theorists?

constituent
01-16-2008, 05:54 AM
CATO has discredited and smeared themselves...

i recommend adding them to your ignore list mr. dilorenzo

Francisco Suarez
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Cato's tentacles are all over this thing. Consider the evidence:

1. The not-so-secret scuttlebutt is that Kirchick got tipped off about the newsletters from Cato/Reason sources. Reason also times its first post on the story with the New Republic's release, also timed to coordinate with the New Hampshire primary.

2. Several figures at Reason who have joined the TNR attack are connected to Kirchick. Kirchick and Reason's Dave Weigel (one of their main bloggers on this story) are both listed as officers in a DC-based political roundtable group according to their facebook pages.

3. Take the case of the "Rightwatch" blog, an anonymous website that has been publicized dozens of times in the past by Cato's Tom Palmer for its lengthy poorly written rants about Lew Rockwell. Rightwatch went defunct almost a year ago. It sprung back to life within minutes of the New Republic story, and has been posting feverishly about Ron Paul ever since.

4. Not surprisingly, Tom Palmer is quick to follow...as he always seems to do within moments of the "Rightwatch" blog going active with an anti-Rockwell fit.

5. Several of the main "libertarian bloggers" who are driving this story are ex-Cato interns who served under Tom Palmer (no pun intended). It turns out that the Economist blog post on the story was written by one of these, Julian Sanchez. Sanchez also wrote some of the Reason hit pieces.

billyjoeallen
01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
http://formerbeltwaywonk.wordpress.com/

Fox McCloud
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
It told me volumes when Cato tried to sue the John Birch society for making their own version of the pocket Constitution, simply because it was "similar". Sure, they have the right to do that...but, if I were a Libertarian group, and I knew of another Libertarian group (though CATO is cosmoLibertarian and JBS is paleoLibertarian) who were trying to get the word out about our Constitution and help promote it, I wouldn't sue them; if it got it out to more people, more power to them!

This is one major reason why I probably won't ever join the Libertarian party, but carry on Ron Paul's tradition; if you disagree with them on even one thing, it seems they grill you for it, they never forgive you, then they'll turn around and grill you again years later down the road (for example, some have hinted that Ron isn't a Libertarian simply because he has religious beliefs! How utterly ridiculous! Others have suggested that by him viewing life to exist at conception, and that abortion is murder, he's not a Libertarian either....um, hello? Pro-life Libertarian anyone?).

All in all, I've lost all respect for CATO; Lew-Rockwell all the way for me.

angrydragon
01-16-2008, 11:32 AM
CATO the so called "libertarian think-tank" should be proud that someone like Dr. Paul is running for President. But no, they attack him with some bs that he didn't write many years ago.

Paulitician
01-16-2008, 11:37 AM
CATO is phony.

That's the bittersweet thing about having Ron Paul (or anyone as consitent and principled as him) run for president--you get to find out who the fakes, propagandists etc. are.

billyjoeallen
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
http://formerbeltwaywonk.wordpress.com/

CATO and Reason have gone to the Dark Side, or maybe they were there all along.

They are ramping up the attacks because they know we are winning.

CATO/Reason's new tack is to go right at Lew Rockwell. This proves how desperate they are. They are having to drop even a pretense of objectivity.

Don't be fooled. This is a fight to the death. The Koch hate-machine knows they will be permanently discredited and it's us or them. They will play even dirtier before this is over.

I have never seen a more pure manifestation of evil in my life.