PDA

View Full Version : North Alabama = Bastion of Military-Industrial Complex

GeneralFreeman
01-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Last time I was in the Huntsville area, I saw quite a few Ron Paul support (kudos to whoever lined hwy 72 E, by the way).

But when campaigning up there, please don't bring up the Military-Industrial Complex stuff. Huntsville is basically the Military-Industrial headquarters.

reaver
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't think that topic has ever come up when discussing Paul; It's ineffective everywhere.

jcarcinogen
01-19-2008, 03:53 PM
It is also huge in my area in SE Alabama too. Just about all of the Army aviation training goes on here and the United States Army Aviation Warfighting Center (USAAWC) is based here also. Alot of foreign nationals live in my small town with a bunch of companies you've never heard of to the usual suspects like Lockheed, Boeing, etc.

The military personnel believe that they don't need to be the police man of the world and like Paul, but they do wonder where their jobs will go and worry about this. So I agree don't bring up the military-industrial complex but rather focus on the fact that Paul has more support from active duty personnel than any other candidate then move on to other topics. Although I get asked what about all the soldiers jobs alot.

GeneralFreeman
01-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, people who are actually in the military will love him. He wants to bring them home. And there are plenty of people around here who are in the military.

GunnyFreedom
01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
RP does not want to reduce the size of the military, only bring them home. (PS - I may be heading to Alabama tomorrow to volunteer)

paulgeek
01-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Ironically, most of the money going to the M-I complex is not reaching Huntsville. Ask most anyone who does R&D work in the area and it's drying up. Since little military equipment is manufactured in Huntsville, we get left out. Much of the money that is rolling into Huntsville is missile defense, which Paul has stated that we have a right to develop, should develop, and he wants to stimulate development of one by putting out a $100 billion prize (I think that's the amount) for the first system that meets requirements.