PDA

View Full Version : Canvass Church Parking Lots for Pro-Life Voters

MilitaryDave
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Moderators - can we get a Christian Topic started in the Grassroots Forum?

I'm a Catholic and rather frustrated that Huckabee seems to be presented as the most solid Christian vote in the race. Well, frankly this is just wrong.

I believe Ron Paul is the most fiercely pro-life and Christian candidate in this race. People don't know this because they think his "give abortion to the states" is a bit weak on abortion. However, if you examine his record and his abortion stance/strategy you will find he is brilliant. Please check out a few meaty articles at http://catholicsforronpaul.blogspot.com/search/label/Abortion (includes a convincing rebuttal of the infamous Ron Paul letters).

A Maryland Pro-Life blog independantly ranked all candidates against the American Conference of Catholic Bishop's voting guidelines and Ron Paul came out on top (http://defendlife.blogspot.com/2007/11/presidential-candidate-evaluation.html). Here is why, Dr Paul is:

AGAINST abortion,
AGAINST fetal stem cell research,
AGAINST war (Pope is against the Iraq War),
AGAINST death penalty (a beautiful rarity and a big hit with minority voters)
FOR individual dignity and God-given LIBERTY

Further, Ron Paul knows about Augustine's Just War principle and has quoted it many times in his opposition to military action in Iraq. (Funny, I had to study Just War in Air Force ROTC back in the 90's ... how things have changed).

There are many evangelicals (like Chuck Baldwin) and Catholics (like http://www.catholicsforronpaul.com) with great articles on why Ron Paul is THE Christian Conservative candidate. Ardent Christian or not, we need to flow this information into Huckabee forums and especially canvass churches with flyers so these Christian voters are more informed.

I think a lot of Huckabee supporters will have to at least consider Ron Paul once they know.

Matt Collins
01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Just print out Ron's statement of faith. It's available on a Google search

MilitaryDave
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I know I can do it, and I will starting this weekend. I would like to know if others are willing to do this in their neighborhoods ... even if you aren't a church goer. I believe the Statement of Faith on one side and the Maryland blog Catholic Bishops guidelines analysis on the other are all it should take.

melianthus
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
The last thing I want when leaving church is to have someone approach me about a political candidate. Use some sense.

tcindie
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Agreed. My church (third largest in the country I believe) seriously frowns on this.

Mort
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
You could put flyers on windshield wipers in parking lots. You don't have to attempt to "convince" anybody personally.

MilitaryDave
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
O.K., I see the point about canvassing. I'm moving this discussion to the Christian Outreach section.

I think churchgoers need to approach their pastors or parish councels to provide parishoners some form of voting fact sheet based on candidate platforms.

Cheers!