PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Heck! Dangit Dangit!

hummtide
01-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Had planned to canvass about 500 homes after work.. but HELL NO! Twisted my ankle but good 2 hours ago. JUST GREAT! Stupid neocon street curbs!

billjarrett
01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Bring it up to the Democrats, maybe we can get those curbs regulated so they aren't allowed to do that to you again.

WilliamC
01-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Tough it up man, you still have one good leg. HOP! :D

Seriously though, hope you mend soon. Ice it up, make sure it isn't broken.

edit:

True story, when I was 14 I fell off my bicycle. Not going fast or anything, just popped a wheelie and slid off of the seat. Put my feet down and my left foot twisted counterclockwise under me. I tore my anterior cruciate ligament completely in half, and the bottom part of my leg from the knee down was 180 degrees backwards. I remember thinking I'd never seen anyone's leg bent like that. After a minute or two of just lying there I picked up the leg, rotated back into position until it popped back into place. Within seconds the knee swelled up like a pumpkin. I got up, tried putting the tiniest bit of weight on the leg and BAM right down on the ground again. Absolutely no stability in my leg at all. Got up again, now my leg was essentially locked straight out. Picked up my bike and rode home on one foot.

Long story short I ended up hopping and on crutches for a few weeks until the swelling went down. When I was 17 I had reconstructive surgery to graft a new piece of tissue to replace the missing ligament, which had long since atrophied. I remember the Doctors that looked at it saying it was the worst case of whatever specific type of injury I had that they had ever seen. Ended up keeping me out of the Air Force for medical disability, the knee is still a little lose in the joint.

I'm not quite so stupid anymore :)

Grandson of Liberty
01-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Rub some dirt on it.

Don't you want to tell your grandkids about the time you, on a broken leg, singlehandedly won the election for Ron Paul? :p

Corydoras
01-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Rest
Ice
Compression (Ace bandage)
Elevation

Kludge
01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Get a wheelchair, put a large basket on the back, and fill it with signs. Damn, I'd bet you'd get votes just for doing that

Spirit of '76
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear that. You'll be back to canvassing in no time.

Jobarra
01-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Right idea, maybe the wrong execution.

Hobble around on crutches canvassing for Dr. Paul. Tell them you are an UNPAID INJURED volunteer canvasser for Dr. Paul :D

Seriously though, get better :).

exer51
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Get a wheelchair, put a large basket on the back, and fill it with signs. Damn, I'd bet you'd get votes just for doing that

HOLY CRAP, that's the best idea ever. I should get a fake cast and go around on crutches when i do my precinct. Think of how many people would be like "Holy shit this kids dedicated, maybe I should check this guy out".

Jeremy
01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
no pain no gain :D

electronicmaji
01-15-2008, 11:02 PM
print out phone lists and call instead.

ValidusCustodiae
01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
This guy's never heard of crutches?

jake
01-15-2008, 11:44 PM
HOLY CRAP, that's the best idea ever. I should get a fake cast and go around on crutches when i do my precinct. Think of how many people would be like "Holy shit this kids dedicated, maybe I should check this guy out".

don't want to be disingenuous. better break a leg first.

raiha
01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Ride-on lawn-mower?

Arnica 30c four times a day for two days. Homoeopathic! Magic!

pacelli
01-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Bring it up to the Democrats, maybe we can get those curbs regulated so they aren't allowed to do that to you again.

LOL ! Sue the city for your medical and time expenses, then buy more signs & donate to the campaign with it.

RSLudlum
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Had planned to canvass about 500 homes after work.. but HELL NO! Twisted my ankle but good 2 hours ago. JUST GREAT! Stupid neocon street curbs!

write some letters while you're outa commission :)

exer51
01-16-2008, 12:03 AM
don't want to be disingenuous. better break a leg first.

BAH! I've only ever broke 1 finger in my whole life... No intention of breaking my leg right now. I don't have health insurance because I'm 22 and it's a ripoff/scam and I figure I could put all that dough to much better use. I'd rather just pretend to break my leg, but pretend VERY WELL so no one will ever know.

Kludge
01-16-2008, 12:06 AM
BAH! I've only ever broke 1 finger in my whole life... No intention of breaking my leg right now. I don't have health insurance because I'm 22 and it's a ripoff/scam and I figure I could put all that dough to much better use. I'd rather just pretend to break my leg, but pretend VERY WELL so no one will ever know.

You've earned my respect just for breaking away from this apparent need for health insurance! I'm so sick of people assuming only poor people don't have health insurance. Put it in a god damned savings account! A company exists only if it can profit! If I cost more to keep alive then in all the time I lived, I've obviously failed.

mdevour
01-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I think there's a sympathy vote waiting to happen if you grab a set of crutches and go around that way. It'll teach you how to use 'em real fast, too! :D

Just imagine the level of commitment you'd communicate to the people you talk to?

<sigh>

Heal well!

exer51
01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
You've earned my respect just for breaking away from this apparent need for health insurance! I'm so sick of people assuming only poor people don't have health insurance. Put it in a god damned savings account! A company exists only if it can profit! If I cost more to keep alive then in all the time I lived, I've obviously failed.

Health insurance is RIDICULOUS. Me and my dad dropped it when we moved from California to Washington because they don't have Kaiser up here, which is who we'd always had. It was like 700 a month IIRC... Since then I've had to spend... err 200-300 bucks at a doctors office. I got pink eye once, and that's all in 6 years. He's had to spend a grand or 2. Grand total for saving=$40,000+++.

PLUS with Health Savings Account tax benefits it's even better. Often times you can get an employer to put money into a HSA which then becomes YOUR MONEY. They're just like 401Ks except zero taxes on money pulled for health reasons. Why ANYONE gets insurance is beyond me. It's just peoples cowardly, sheepish mentality I guess.

Corydoras
01-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Why ANYONE gets insurance is beyond me. It's just peoples cowardly, sheepish mentality I guess.

For anyone who routinely needs a lot of medical care, it's a good deal. I know a couple of people like that-- one of them needs around $25,000 of medical care per year.

lastnymleft
01-16-2008, 01:01 AM
print out phone lists and call instead.

+1

write some letters while you're outa commission :)

+1

teleomorph
01-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Put a little Windex on it.

Grandson of Liberty
01-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Why ANYONE gets insurance is beyond me. It's just peoples cowardly, sheepish mentality I guess.

I dunno. I'm somewhat pleased I didn't have to cough up $20k for an angry disagreement with my appendix.

Derek Johnson
01-16-2008, 01:12 AM

When the going gets tough...;)

exer51
01-16-2008, 01:27 AM
For anyone who routinely needs a lot of medical care, it's a good deal. I know a couple of people like that-- one of them needs around $25,000 of medical care per year.

Well yea... There's a few people that have horrible health that "get over" on the system... But the thing is that all the "normal" people are the ones who pay for them getting over, AND for the insurance companies skyscrapers.

exer51
01-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I dunno. I'm somewhat pleased I didn't have to cough up $20k for an angry disagreement with my appendix.

And how much have you paid into health insurance in your life? If you take your insurance money and invest it reasonably you can get 10 percent totally tax free in a HSA. The fact is that for the average person it's a WAY better option to get a HSA. Generally with a HSA you get "catastrophic health insurance" along with it for like 20, 30, 50 bucks a month in case something REALLY horrible happens. You have a super high deductible, but if you need 300K worth of surgery you're covered.

Ara825
01-16-2008, 01:41 AM
I used to go to the walk in clinics here, they charge 45 bucks and don't accept insurance. Well I developed high blood pressure and had a heart attack. I was told I needed surgery, but was sent home when there was no insurance to cover it. So I thought it wise to get health insurance. I pay 257. a month which is a lot for someone on a fixed income, and I still end up paying a 40 dollar co-pay each time I go to the doctor. I would drop the insurance but what if I had another heart attack. I have delayed having any surgery done because I am afraid I will in up in worse condition. Health care has become a danger to our health thanks to govt intervention.

hummtide
01-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Rub some dirt on it.

Don't you want to tell your grandkids about the time you, on a broken leg, singlehandedly won the election for Ron Paul? :p

Good Point!

hummtide
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I think there's a sympathy vote waiting to happen if you grab a set of crutches and go around that way. It'll teach you how to use 'em real fast, too! :D

Just imagine the level of commitment you'd communicate to the people you talk to?

<sigh>

Heal well!

LOL!.. Go canvassing with my crutches.. someone answers the door saying "Oh Im sorry.. I support Huckabee.. then I give em an odd look, and go.. "WRONG ANSWER! SWIPE! Crutch upside their head... then I got the tri-fold to their forehead.. WHO DO YOU SUPPORT! WHO!!!" LOL!

mtmedlin
01-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Rest
Ice
Compression (Ace bandage)
Elevation

Good advice or you can.....

Go to the pharmacy

Get a medium gauge needle

Buy a tube of 1% Cortisone

Find the spot in the middle of the ankle where the two bones meet

Insert needle and squeeze in about a 1/2 inch

Ankle will feel weird but you can walk.

Take about 1000 - 1500 mg of your favorite legal otc pain reliver, make certain it is slow release.

Go canvassing.

(I played a half season of Soccer and the entire season of basketball this way, given my ankle wont ever be normal but damnit, its RP were talking about)