PDA

View Full Version : Convincing Democrats to vote for Ron Paul

jdmetz
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
This is most relevant to Florida (which lost its Dem delgates), but also relevant to open primary states, and also closed primary states whose party change deadlines haven't passed.

I thought I had convinced much of my family (who have always voted Dem) to vote for Ron Paul in Michigan's primary today. This evening I found out that most of them voted Uncommitted on the Dem ballot instead. :( Once I explained my position to them the following way, they wished they had voted for Ron Paul. So, hopefully this will help others do the job I was unsuccessful at.

Here is the argument: Basically, on primary day, there are two elections happening, and you have to decide which is the most important election. This is not necessarily the election that your favorite candidate is in. For example, if Obama is your favorite, but you don't think Hillary or Edwards would be that bad, but you think Ron Paul is by far the best of the Republicans, then the Republican primary might be the more important election for you.

The only way the Dem primary should be most important is if 1) you love one candidate and detest another. or 2) you are 100% certain the Dem candidate will win in November (but remember, Bush won a 2nd term in '04 - how did that happen?). or 3) you wouldn't mind any of the Republican's becoming president.