PDA

View Full Version : Question about naturalization form

ronpaulitician
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Q: Have you ever advocated (either directly or indirectly) the overthrow of any government by force or violence?
A: Yes [1]

Q: If the law requires it, are you willing to bear arms on behalf of the United States?
A: No [2]

Q: If the law requires it, are you willing to perform noncombatant services in the US Armed Forces?

Q: If the law requires it, are you willing to perform work of national importance under civilian direction?

Am I just being an idiot for wanting to answer these questions honestly (along with a written explanation on a separate piece of paper)? I want to be able to vote in the presidential elections, and fear that answering these questions honestly will increase the amount of time it'll take to process my paperwork, but I have a real aversion to lying. I've found a couple of court decisions regarding the last three questions that denied someone citizenship based on their refusal to bear arms for the US.

[1] Yes, in pretty much every discussion I've had about the second amendment.
[2] No, but I am willing to do so voluntarily.

Harald
05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I was filling N-400 recently myself and noticed that there is a fineprint below that mentioned that the citizenship will be denied if you don't answer them correctly, since those questions are part of the Oath that freshly minted US citizen should take.

If you can't say the Oath, you cannot become a citizen.

The oath of allegiance is:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

though under some circumstances they can waive this part:

". . .that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by law. . ."