PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Change!

Iwantchange
01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
We need to change our campaign strategy; it’s obviously not as effective as we would hope. I think we have two major problems.

1. Internet use based upon age group. Statistically there is a gap between internet use and certain age groups. Ages between 10-50yrs old use the internet much more than ages between 50-100yrs old.
2. Main stream media organizations like CNN & Faux – The vast majority of age groups between 50-100yrs old don’t use the internet. So what happens is, they get there news and updates from the main stream media, which is an issue for us because CNN & Faux continues to deny Ron Paul any sort of airtime.

Based on this, we really need to focus on three things:
1. Precinct leaders
2. Local Newspapers
3. TV Ads
4. Canvassing

I think this should be our major focus. If you look at our efforts from a statistical stand point, I would say 60-70% of its internet based. So my take is we have the internet covered, but what we don’t have is that other 40%, which consists of the older generation whom get there media/updates from main stream media. I am not sure what HQ is doing, but I really think we need to take things into our own hands.

ike
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
+++

100%

Canvass canvass canvass

Convince people to go vote Paul.

Iwantchange
01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
bump

hopeforamerica
01-15-2008, 11:38 PM
+1

coboman
01-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Are those strategies really effective? So far, our only success story has been Jefferson County in Iowa.

They did the local newspapers (great idea, IMO), but they warned against canvassing and phone calling. There is really no success story with canvassing or the precinct leaders.
Everybody is encouraging others to canvass, yet the more precinct leaders and canvassers we have, the less our poll numbers.

Case in point NH vs. Iowa.
We had tons of canvassers in NH, yet we polled 2% less.

Now Michigan, also had many canvassers, and 2% less than NH.

I think it is better to study hard the strategy of Jefferson County, and follow their example by the letter, instead of just encouraging everyone to canvass.

Original_Intent
01-16-2008, 12:08 AM
I am going to make some assumptions that I consider pretty much worst case scenarios.

Assumption 1 is that we get to Super Tuesday without a finish above third.

Romney takes Nevada
Huckabee takes SC (it would be better for us if Thompson did)
Giuliani takes Florida
Maine ??? I have no idea how important Maine is or who is leading there

This is a pretty bleak scenario, many would think.

Who will last until Super Tuesday with any funds to advertise?

Ron needs more but he already has enough to at least show up to the dance.

Huckabee is shooting for $10million by February 5th, almost halfway there and he has $1.5 million. He likely has no bank account because of the spending he is doing in SC.

Giuliani even if he wins Florida, it is too late to raise funds for Super Tuesday a week later. Yes he has name recognition already but he needs money to compete Super Tuesday. Right now he is on vapors cash-wise.

McCain - more broke than Huckabee.

Thompson - I think he has been pretty careful with his money so he may be in good shape.

Mitt as we know can always write himself a check.

So Huckabee goes into Feb 5 with a couple million and decent grassroots, and likely a couple of wins under his belt.

Giuliani goes in broke with likely a Florida win and name recogntion, zero grass roots.

McCain - broke, no grass roots and a New Hampshire win that seems like ancient history.

Romney plenty of money, 2 or 3 early wins.

Thompson - unknown money situation, I assume OK, and maybe a SC win.

Paul - likely best financial situation, best grassroots no question, and likely no wins to date. It hurts to say that, but let's just assume it as a worst case.

I think the above situation, if it plays out this way - then cut McCain and Huckabee out as Feb 5 contenders, possibly Giuliani as well. Paul, Romney and Thompson are going to be the three left standing in the "war of attrition".

McCain being out helps Paul more than the others because he has been taking a lot of our Independent voters and somehow he has been taking the anti-war vote (WTF?) I think if this is is base, Paul gets the lion's share of those voters.

Huckabee out - his base will likely split among all three but I still would give the majority to Paul - that's just my guess though.

Giuliani out honestly does not help us all that much, I don't see any of his supporters coming our way, but then I don't see any of his supporters, period.

With Paul being able to out advertise anyone but Romney, with our much stronger grassroots than anyone, it could make things interesting on Super Tuesday even if things go poorly until then. A surprise showing in Nevada, South Carolina, Florida, or Maine just improves our possibilities.

Anti Federalist
01-16-2008, 12:23 AM
coboman wrote:

Case in point NH vs. Iowa.
We had tons of canvassers in NH, yet we polled 2% less.

Mmm, uh huh.

I went out with "official" canvass script in my town, the idea being to identify solid RP voters.

The script was intrusive and long. Most people, if even giving me any of their time, told me none of your effin' business once I got into the script a little ways.

Can't say I blame them, I'd have done the same thing if it was somebody doing it to me.

The TV commercials were atrocious, the radio ones better, but playing to wrong demographics. Why run a "conservative republican" ad on an alt-rock station? Why not an anti-war ad there?

But bottom line is, the message gets out to some extent, and that message is not very popular. Peace and freedom doesn't sell, welfare and warfare does.

RoamZero
01-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Personally I really like the idea of movie ads. People sitting in the theater can't exactly channel surf. Also, more radio ads and less robot calls.

And how about some direct-mail DVD's. Maybe Ron could get a deal and somehow distribute a Hollywood entertainment film with a 5-10 minute infomercial spliced into the beginning at his expense.

As for canvasing, the purpose of canvasing homes should really be to gather phone numbers of potential voters that might waffle, so they can be called right before the election.

The other form of canvasing should be very targetted, like going after churches, church events, nursing homes, etc.

Also, I think Ron Paul should rent a bus and do some townhalls, take a page from McCain's book. He could EASILY use the local grassroots to help promote each townhall.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Thompson is dead broke.

firebirdnation
01-16-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree with the general sentiments put fourth in this thread. It seems we need to focus locally. Just as Dr. Paul talks about solving government issues locally, we need to focus locally on the issues which are important to our specific areas. But with that said, certain issues like ending the occupation in Iraq would resonate well in most of the US.

Being a precinct leader is one of the ways we can focus locally, but I do think the Campaign should supply the precinct leaders with campaign materials. If I could, I would like to distribute slim jims based on the information in the walking lists, but I cannot afford to buy all the slim-jims, so I am just distributing what I have.

I am not a big fan of calling or knocking on doors. I hate it when solicitors call or knock on my door. The last thing I want to do is listen to someone trying to sell me on a candidate, religion, etc. I think mailings, local news paper ads, tv ads, radio ads, and leaving materials on door knobs or porches is the way to go. I am in favor of non-intrusive methods of getting the word out. Of course I can only speak for myself in this regard, but I have never heard anyone say they enjoyed being bugged by a solicitor while at home. Quite the contrary, everyone I know hates it when someone shows up to their house unannounced.

m72mc
01-16-2008, 01:03 AM
read this, it´s a great post on dailypaul

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/26317#comment-224925

:D

voytechs
01-16-2008, 01:14 AM
We need to change our campaign strategy; it’s obviously not as effective as we would hope. I think we have two major problems.

1. Internet use based upon age group. Statistically there is a gap between internet use and certain age groups. Ages between 10-50yrs old use the internet much more than ages between 50-100yrs old.
2. Main stream media organizations like CNN & Faux – The vast majority of age groups between 50-100yrs old don’t use the internet. So what happens is, they get there news and updates from the main stream media, which is an issue for us because CNN & Faux continues to deny Ron Paul any sort of airtime.

1. Precinct leaders
2. Local Newspapers
3. TV Ads
4. Canvassing

I think this should be our major focus. If you look at our efforts from a statistical stand point, I would say 60-70% of its internet based. So my take is we have the internet covered, but what we don’t have is that other 40%, which consists of the older generation whom get there media/updates from main stream media. I am not sure what HQ is doing, but I really think we need to take things into our own hands.

Don't forget that 90% of the internet news now a day's paints RP as a racist. We also need to get rid of the sloagan GOOGLE RON PAUL. It really hurts us. This is probably whats causing the numbers to go down.

Out of 10 google updates lately, I may read 1 article, all the rest are complete bull, but new people see it and run.

gb13
01-16-2008, 01:17 AM
1. Precinct leaders
2. Local Newspapers
3. TV Ads
4. Canvassing

Yes; I agree.

I especially agree with your observation that there are, in fact, three things on your list.

gb13
01-16-2008, 01:38 AM
I think we should all be organizing with RP supporters in our community (meetups, etc.) to run ads in all local papers. If we each chipped in $20 we could probably have an ad in every local paper in the country.

This is similar to how the founders sold the public on the idea of the constitution.

zbus12
01-16-2008, 01:41 AM
PLEASE donate to IPPAC TODAY! We are running Ads to reach LARGE base of republicans in central and downstate IL. We have already purchased air time for 40-1min ads from midwest family broadcasting to be put on Radio a week before the primary. We have received donations from grassroots supporters and need your help to run MORE ADS and TV commercials in the central/downstate IL viewing area. For more info PLEASE visit this thread....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=89223

time is running out and we need all the support we can get to win ILLINOIS!!!

StateofTrance
01-16-2008, 01:43 AM
A good strategy is a no strategy :D