PDA

View Full Version : Remember How Reagan Did...

Xyrus2
01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
When Reagan ran for president the first time in 1976, everyone wrote him off. He was laughed at and not considered a real candidate. He performed poorly on polls and in several primaries.

But then things started to change. His numbers crept up. People started taking notice. A candidate everyone thought was ridiculous became one of promise. The rest, as we know, is history.

Clinton was similar back in '92. He didn't start of so well either, and still came back to win.

We're still just in the beginning of this. Ron Paul still has funds, while other candidates are starting to run on empty. Ron's vote totals are climbing while other's are flat-lining.

This is not a time for pessimism. We have a message of freedom and truth that needs to be spread. In the face long odds and adversity, it's the message of freedom that should give us the strength to continue.

If a group of rag tag colonials could stand up in the face of the world's most powerful military to claim their freedom, what does it say about those who give up after a handful of primaries?

If you are so easily defeated, then by all means return to your apathy and continue letting our government erode our freedoms. If your strength wilts in the face of adversity, then go about your business as your country slowly crumbles around you.

But if you believe in our Constitution and our freedoms you will fight. If you believe that those that have died for our country did so for a purpose, then you will carry on. If you believe you have just fraction of courage our founding fathers had when they founded this great nation, then nothing will stop you.

The choice is yours. Surrender or fight. Take action or sit on your couch. Change, or take more of the same.

For me, I will at least be able to say I tried to make a difference.

~X~

TER
01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
+1

Jae0
01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Good post. :)

Basilieus
agree, anyone who thinks other-wise needs to be stoned!

David805
I agree .. :)

bucfish
01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
That is the spirit take a stand for the long haul win or lose at least WE will stand for something!!!

Paulitical Correctness
01-15-2008, 09:52 PM
14 posts?

Gtfo newbie troll, stfu!

I kid,

+1, excellent post.

Soccrmastr
01-15-2008, 09:52 PM
thanks man good thread.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM

hehe. I agree.

Drknows
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you! The "noobs" that say we dont have a chance are most likely people who never followed a election process before.

we just need to keep climbing.

Redcard
01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't remember that. I remembe rReagan coming in the front runner.. and a little upstart named Bush giving him some challenge initially.. and then Reagan just sweeping pretty much everywhere.

It'd help if you were alive and actually remembered 1980. Reagan never was challenged, man. Nobody "wrote him off", everyone pretty much was tired of Jimmy Carter and it was a foregone conclusion.

Leroy_Jenkems
01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Mad props, my nizzle.

ForrestLayne
01-15-2008, 09:56 PM
excellent post - RP keeps reminding us he is in it for the long haul

Have faith if RP can be our Prez then he knows how to win this thing!!!!!

RoamZero
01-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I hope Ron Paul can replicate Reagan's success. The problem is that Paul lacks some of Reagan's qualities. Hopefully he can make up for it.

kyleAF
01-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I've never followed an election process before (I think they're abhorrent), but I CAN follow history and common sense. The "comeback" is a tried-and-true method of winning, but it never seems to be so early on. The media can't keep touting a comeback, but must focus on early "front-runners" for reporting ratings. When the comeback happens, everyone thinks: "oh, of course, we've seen this sort of thing before".

It's on us to win this. It's ALWAYS been on us to win this. Dr. Paul tested the water in February for a run, and it's US who've kept him going.

We just have to keep doing that.

tboss
01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
It takes courage to fight. I'm with you!

ForrestLayne
01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't remember that. I remembe rReagan coming in the front runner.. and a little upstart named Bush giving him some challenge initially.. and then Reagan just sweeping pretty much everywhere.

It'd help if you were alive and actually remembered 1980. Reagan never was challenged, man. Nobody "wrote him off", everyone pretty much was tired of Jimmy Carter and it was a foregone conclusion.

from google of NH Primaries

1984 - Ronald Reagan* (unopposed)

1980 - Ronald Reagan* (49.6%) George H.W. Bush (22.7%) Howard H. Baker (12.1%) John B. Anderson (9.8%) Philip M. Crane (1.8%) John B. Connally (1.5%)

Not trying to dampen spirits, but the question was asked...

My wife has taught me how to GOOGLE anything (haha)

Redcard
But Reagan didn't come back. He dominated , almost from the start. He had nearly 2000 delegates where the next closest was like.. 20, or something.

I'm all for keeping faith, but let's not make stuff up about a great man like Reagan.

alexa doherty
Yes but WHEN did reagan start to creep up?????

tfelice
01-15-2008, 10:03 PM

You got it right. Reagan ran in 76 and almost beat Ford, the sitting president. He basically cruised to the nomination in 80 except for a little challenge early on from ush.

Energy
01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
We're in this for the long haul. Many unexpected, dynamite things and events can happen..

We have a lot of creativity and DRIVE and the winds of FREEDOM to push us beyond what's seemingly possible. Keep spreading the word and fight for EVERY inch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7923/img288vs8.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs)

Pete Kay
01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
When Reagan ran in '76 he was called a kook and dismissed. When he ran again in '80, they tried to dismiss him again, but he had built up so much momentum that in the end he was unstoppable. This is a scenario that I wish could play put for Dr. Paul, but I'm afraid he may be too old for a 2012 run.

Waldo
01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Move this to main forum and STICKY. Nice post, very nice.

diesirae
01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Yes but WHEN did reagan start to creep up?????

...almost immediately.

Move this to main forum and STICKY. Nice post, very nice.

Except for all the parts which, well, aren't true. We need to be realistic, not tell ourselves pleasant bromides about past heroes. Focus on the heroes we have now.

thechitowncubs
01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Thank you, amen.

Redcard
01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
The entire 1980 election was pretty much over at the Iowa Straw Poll before the first primary.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
he ran for president in 1968 and 1976 before winning the nom in 1980.
He won a lot of early states in 1976.

derdy

way ahead of ya!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/crazydave506/blazzed.gif

tfelice
When Reagan ran in '76 he was called a kook and dismissed.

Dismissed by who? Maybe the left, but within the GOP he won 12 states, Ford won 15.

ValidusCustodiae
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM

I agree, and I'm already stoned.

alexa doherty
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
...almost immediately.

Except for all the parts which, well, aren't true. We need to be realistic, not tell ourselves pleasant bromides about past heroes. Focus on the heroes we have now.

After how many states in the primaries?? Numbers please.

ValidusCustodiae
01-15-2008, 10:10 PM
way ahead of ya!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/crazydave506/blazzed.gif

Argh, you beat me to it!

911cartoon
01-15-2008, 10:10 PM
yeah but didn't reagan and clinton both attend Bilderberg??

fightfortruth
01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the thread. I think people need to be reminded that in order for us to win we have to be in this for the long haul. The society we live in is fast paced. We need results now, we need satisfaction now. People don't like waiting.

We need to get past this and not lose momentum. We need to canvas like we have never canvassed before. We need to call people. We need to appeal to the young voters who have not voted before but are planning on voting.

I know we can do this!

tfelice
01-15-2008, 10:12 PM

If you are talking about 80 wiki has a decent article on it

humanic
01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Good thread. Everyone PLEASE understand what we are doing in the proper context. This Revolution does not even remotely end with these primaries or the election in November. Even if Ron Paul wins, "The Establishment" does not disappear. Commit yourself for the long haul now, and commit yourself to solidarity win or lose.

yeah but didn't reagan and clinton both attend Bilderberg??

Clinton yes, Reagan I'm not sure.

Redcard
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Reagan won New Hampshire in 1980.

He won 1939 delegates. 2nd place was John Anderson with 37. That should tell you how "immediately" the "comeback" was.

Xyrus2
01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I should have specified the '76 election...sorry for the confusion.

I edited the post.

~X~

all J's in IL for RP
01-15-2008, 10:29 PM
A week ago, McCain was the man. A month ago, Huckabee, two months, Romney. Last August, Thompson. Before that, Giuliani.

The Republican base is looking everywhere for a man on a white horse. Let's keep in mind the OP's history lesson, and keep ourselves on message.

tfelice
01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
I should have specified the '76 election...sorry for the confusion.

I edited the post.

~X~

It's still wrong. Reagan won 12 states in 76, Ford won 15. They were neck & neck with delegate counts. 1968 was Reagan's first run at the nomination. Did fairly well and almost cut a deal with Rockefeller to take the nomination away from Nixon, but it didn't work out.

slamhead
01-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeap I agree but we have less time now so lets get out there and canvas..have you signed up yet?

tfelice
01-15-2008, 10:35 PM
A week ago, McCain was the man. A month ago, Huckabee, two months, Romney. Last August, Thompson. Before that, Giuliani.

The Republican base is looking everywhere for a man on a white horse. Let's keep in mind the OP's history lesson, and keep ourselves on message.

I still wouldn't be shocked if that man on the white horse came from outside the current crop of candidates

cheese
01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
bump ftw

mfw1974
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Concur!

IndieRocker79
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been following elections since I was about 12 years old back with the George HW Bush election, and I've studied a lot of history as well. Abe Lincoln, Ronald Reagan...these are just 2 of many Presidents that everyone had well written off before they ever got off the ground. But they sure did get elected and they sure did make a difference.

We're pulling ahead, we're moving up the scale, we're gaining ground slowly but surely, and most importantly, we're keeping the party divided on the issues while we are slowly uniting people under the banner of what the GOP used to stand for.

Ron Paul is the most electable candidate. The majority of Americans agree with his policies, they just don't see him as "electable". But slowly they are coming around. This fourth place victory in Michigan with 50K+ votes is a big win. Giuliani and Thompson are moving away to the fringe back where WE used to be.

A good showing in Nevada and SC will push us forward into Super Tuesday. If we can take at least 4th in SC and at least 3rd in Nevada, we will be in the best shape we could be in, particularly if the leaders continue to split up in these states. Just 5 wins on Super Tuesday with a few other strong showings would bring us up into a position where we hold control of a good number of delegates, and we'll be in a virtual 2-way race with the only other candidate with money: Mitt Romney. All the others are going to be dried up and we will be in a position to duke it out with Mitt for the remaining 50% of the delegates.

Time is on our side, slow and steady wins the race. This has been the plan from the start, and I really believe we can do this! We just need to keep mobilizing, keep moving the message forward, and keep raising more and more awareness. We need to target new places, new people, and try to get the message out to older voters who have heard nothing of Dr. Paul's actual platform save what they hear from the MSM bashers.

Now is the time to push forward. Let's keep getting even stronger showings, and make sure to keep those donations coming in! Donate to the MLK Money Bomb so that Dr. Paul has fuel to keep moving forward into and after Super Tuesday! Don't give up now, because now is the time to push forward even harder, even harder, EVEN HARDER! Ever forward, ever upward! rEVOLution!

OferNave
01-15-2008, 10:49 PM

I am.

InLoveWithRon
01-15-2008, 10:56 PM
When Reagan ran for president the first time in 1976, everyone wrote him off. He was laughed at and not considered a real candidate. He performed poorly on polls and in several primaries.

But then things started to change. His numbers crept up. People started taking notice. A candidate everyone thought was ridiculous became one of promise. The rest, as we know, is history.

Clinton was similar back in '92. He didn't start of so well either, and still came back to win.

We're still just in the beginning of this. Ron Paul still has funds, while other candidates are starting to run on empty. Ron's vote totals are climbing while other's are flat-lining.

This is not a time for pessimism. We have a message of freedom and truth that needs to be spread. In the face long odds and adversity, it's the message of freedom that should give us the strength to continue.

If a group of rag tag colonials could stand up in the face of the world's most powerful military to claim their freedom, what does it say about those who give up after a handful of primaries?

If you are so easily defeated, then by all means return to your apathy and continue letting our government erode our freedoms. If your strength wilts in the face of adversity, then go about your business as your country slowly crumbles around you.

But if you believe in our Constitution and our freedoms you will fight. If you believe that those that have died for our country did so for a purpose, then you will carry on. If you believe you have just fraction of courage our founding fathers had when they founded this great nation, then nothing will stop you.

The choice is yours. Surrender or fight. Take action or sit on your couch. Change, or take more of the same.

~X~

The problem with this theory is the media is much more powerful today..

When you have all of CNN, ABC, NBC. C-span, FOX, CBS etc censoring Ron Paul, it makes it impossible.

30 and 15 years ago, there was no such thing as Fox for instance. CNN wasn't on major cable 15 years ago. etc.. And these networks have ruined Ron Paul making the public think it would be impossible for Paul to win by ignoring him.. And the little they do talk about him they say stupid things like "Fringe candidate Ron Paul" etc

deloreanz
01-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I've been following elections since I was about 12 years old back with the George HW Bush election, and I've studied a lot of history as well. Abe Lincoln, Ronald Reagan...these are just 2 of many Presidents that everyone had well written off before they ever got off the ground. But they sure did get elected and they sure did make a difference.

We're pulling ahead, we're moving up the scale, we're gaining ground slowly but surely, and most importantly, we're keeping the party divided on the issues while we are slowly uniting people under the banner of what the GOP used to stand for.

Ron Paul is the most electable candidate. The majority of Americans agree with his policies, they just don't see him as "electable". But slowly they are coming around. This fourth place victory in Michigan with 50K+ votes is a big win. Giuliani and Thompson are moving away to the fringe back where WE used to be.

A good showing in Nevada and SC will push us forward into Super Tuesday. If we can take at least 4th in SC and at least 3rd in Nevada, we will be in the best shape we could be in, particularly if the leaders continue to split up in these states. Just 5 wins on Super Tuesday with a few other strong showings would bring us up into a position where we hold control of a good number of delegates, and we'll be in a virtual 2-way race with the only other candidate with money: Mitt Romney. All the others are going to be dried up and we will be in a position to duke it out with Mitt for the remaining 50% of the delegates.

Time is on our side, slow and steady wins the race. This has been the plan from the start, and I really believe we can do this! We just need to keep mobilizing, keep moving the message forward, and keep raising more and more awareness. We need to target new places, new people, and try to get the message out to older voters who have heard nothing of Dr. Paul's actual platform save what they hear from the MSM bashers.

Now is the time to push forward. Let's keep getting even stronger showings, and make sure to keep those donations coming in! Donate to the MLK Money Bomb so that Dr. Paul has fuel to keep moving forward into and after Super Tuesday! Don't give up now, because now is the time to push forward even harder, even harder, EVEN HARDER! Ever forward, ever upward! rEVOLution!

YEAH!

Whew.. got me excited. I really do think RP can win, whether thats on the GOP ticket or third party (but all focus should be on getting the GOP nomination). It's crazy how the grassroots effort spreads virally, but we need to keep pushing so it can grow to its fullest extent before the major primaries.

I talked to a friend today who lives in Michigan. I mentioned Ron Paul to him yet but on a whim I asked him if he voted for RP. I expected him to say "what, primaries?" or "no I voted for rudy" but instead he said "yes I voted for Ron Paul." I was ecstatic and surprised.

RP is catching on, but he needs our help and our voices now.

OferNave
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
The problem with this theory is the media is much more powerful today..

When you have all of CNN, ABC, NBC. C-span, FOX, CBS etc censoring Ron Paul, it makes it impossible.

30 and 15 years ago, there was no such thing as Fox for instance. CNN wasn't on major cable 15 years ago. etc.. And these networks have ruined Ron Paul making the public think it would be impossible for Paul to win by ignoring him.. And the little they do talk about him they say stupid things like "Fringe candidate Ron Paul" etc

Might be right... but then again, we might have already passed the peak, and be on the downslope of the broadcast media age as the internet plays a more prominent role. I have high hopes for 20 years from now, assuming we're all live and it's no the stone age.

alexa doherty
01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
GUYS, after how many primary states did Reagan start building momentum and moving up in his primary placings????????????????????????????????????????

We've seen Paul get 4th today but what were reagan's stats?

Does anyone understand my question??

drpiotrowski
01-15-2008, 11:12 PM
For FREEDOM!

Paul10
01-15-2008, 11:23 PM

LinuxUser269
01-15-2008, 11:27 PM

~X~

great post

klamath
01-15-2008, 11:43 PM
In 1976 Reagan barely lost Iowa to Ford and NH by 2%. Reagan won almost the entire south with the exception of Forida and Mississippi. Reagan won the entire west except for oregon. The northeast and the midwest with the exception of indiana and a few others voted for Ford. Reagan lost the convention by la little over a 100 delegates. This is all from memory but I am sure I am pretty close.

faisal
01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
thanks!

JustBcuz
01-16-2008, 12:04 AM
In 1976 Reagan barely lost Iowa to Ford and NH by 2%. Reagan won almost the entire south with the exception of Forida and Mississippi. Reagan won the entire west except for oregon. The northeast and the midwest with the exception of indiana and a few others voted for Ford. Reagan lost the convention by la little over a 100 delegates. This is all from memory but I am sure I am pretty close.

People should also keep in mind Reagan was running against an incumbent President, albeit an unelected one stained by Nixon, a crumby economy, etc.

Sesshomaru
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Long live the Dark Horse!

Opulen
01-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Keeps getting better every passing day!! Go Win Ron Paul!!

QWE
01-16-2008, 01:04 AM
um Regan lost the nomination in 1976.... he came close though, and he came close in NH

abruzz0
01-16-2008, 02:56 AM
I will be here to the end, and beyond

Freedom must prevail, and the fight will continue

alexa doherty
01-16-2008, 02:57 AM
So California must have been more important back then.

xCakex
01-16-2008, 03:28 AM

~X~

Keep up the good fight :)

tfelice
01-16-2008, 06:08 AM
GUYS, after how many primary states did Reagan start building momentum and moving up in his primary placings????????????????????????????????????????

We've seen Paul get 4th today but what were reagan's stats?

Does anyone understand my question??

I understand, but for which year are you questioning?

tfelice
01-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Alexa, here's 1976 from Wiki:

"Reagan began to criticize Ford openly starting in the summer of 1975, and formally launched his campaign in the autumn. At first it appeared as though Ford would easily win the GOP nomination. Defying expectations, Ford narrowly defeated Reagan in the New Hampshire primary, and then proceeded to beat Reagan in the Florida and Illinois primaries by comfortable margins. By the time of the North Carolina primary in March 1976, Reagan's campaign was nearly out of money, and it was widely believed that another defeat would force Reagan to quit the race. However, assisted by the powerful political organization of right-wing U.S. Senator Jesse Helms, Reagan upset Ford in North Carolina and then proceeded to win a string of impressive victories, including Texas, where he won all 100 delegates. Ford bounced back to win in his native Michigan, and from there the two candidates engaged in an increasingly bitter nip-and-tuck contest for delegates. By the time the Republican Convention opened in August 1976 the race for the nomination was still too close to call"

It was essentially a two man race from the outset. There were a couple of other candidates on the ballot, but they weren't ever in contention. While it may be a story to stir emotions in people to "keep up the fight" there are really no parrallels to draw with this current campaign.

Shaun
01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
"tfelice" is exactly correct. There is no comparison. This thread is good for a motivational pep talk but like so much on this forum, the substance is crap. Ron won't win this UNLESS he gets world class marketing and PR on his side. And that means making big changes to big things (read people) in a BIG hurry ( like yesterday) unless his marketing and messaging comes out of the toilet this is over and all the clap trap motivation won't stop McRomHuckafuck taking this nomintion. Awful, but true.
Reagan had what Paul doesn't, EMOTION and the ability to move the common person with his oratory. Paul has a kind and wonderful compassion about him, but he doesn't show it or explain it well enough.
If our champ doesn't win, it's for one reason, the fools at HQ didn't hire the PR masters. They need them as they are playing in the major leagues now.
That's all I got.

Carole
01-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the inspirational You Tube.

If I get an inch and you get an inch and everyone else gets an inch every day, maybe we can make this happen. :)

danish
01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
This is so true. Just like reagan!

Iconoclast777
02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
thank you

sometimes i need a morale boost...

i just wish people would open their eyes and see what is really happening in america