PDA

View Full Version : Should I send Dr. Paul's statement of Faith along with my letter to the Iowans?

Patrick Henry
07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Should I send Dr. Paul's statement of Faith along with my letter to the Iowans?

Patrick Henry
07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
I think it may be a good idea.

nunaem
07-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Considering 85%+ of the USA are theists, yes.

EDIT: and probably a greater percentage among iowans

Phil M
07-25-2007, 08:04 PM
But a good amount of that 85% are only very casual theists. Many of them may get turned off if that's placed front and center.

kylejack
07-25-2007, 08:05 PM
NO.

rajibo
07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Only if your handing the letters out in front of a church.

Richie
07-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Let me first make clear that I'm a Christian, and that I agree 100% with Dr. Paul's statement of faith. It was great that he made his faith clear to the public, and fellow Christians.

I voted no because of how misleading it would be. Yes, he's a Christian, pro-life, and probably opposed to homosexuality. However, being the libertarian that he is, his plans are compatible with everybody! Letting the states handle abortion and homosexuality puts the control in the hands of the people.

wecandoit
07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Big Yes.

The "religious right" are waking up to the fact that they have been fooled by Bushco.

They are just wandering around now, thinking that there is no one else.

Big Yes

Shink
07-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I think that'd be better in person, where you're much more assured that you're reaching the proper audience. I don't know...I DO know that as an Iowan atheist I'm fairly rare.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-25-2007, 08:51 PM
That's for a target audience. Even though 35% will eat it up and yell "halilujah," and another 35% won't mind, it will turn off 10% - 30% either because they're of a different religion or just because they don't like to see religion in politics.

If you can find the 35% who will fall all over themselves because of it, that would be golden. If you're handing out lit at an evangelical church or a pro-life rally, there you go. Even if you're handing out lit to a general audience, keep some in your pocket for those who ask about his faith. But it's not for everyone.

Patrick Henry
07-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I think that I am just going to let it be. I did however print up 50 of the statements and sent them home to my folks to pass out in the church.

Bradley in DC
07-26-2007, 06:39 AM
The statement ties together not only Dr. Paul's pro-life believes but opposition to wars. Both of those ideas are popular in Iowa.

quickmike
07-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Personally, I voted NO, but im not most people. I would be turned off by something like that, as if he were pandering or something. Like I said though, im not most people, so I guess it couldnt really hurt could it? Might even help a few people listen up, who knows. There are people that put religious faith of a politician much higher on the scale of importance than I would. Sometimes I forget things like that. I should have voted YES:D

LibertyEagle
07-26-2007, 08:30 AM
That's for a target audience. Even though 35% will eat it up and yell "halilujah," and another 35% won't mind, it will turn off 10% - 30% either because they're of a different religion or just because they don't like to see religion in politics.

If you can find the 35% who will fall all over themselves because of it, that would be golden. If you're handing out lit at an evangelical church or a pro-life rally, there you go. Even if you're handing out lit to a general audience, keep some in your pocket for those who ask about his faith. But it's not for everyone.

I agree. If a few Iowans could somehow target Christians with this letter, it would be golden. But, I don't think it should be handed out to the general public, No.

Hurricane Bruiser
07-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I would rather see one of his tri-fold brochures on issues than his statement of faith. That has a broader appeal although I personally like his statement of faith.