PDA

View Full Version : Marketing and the 600 lb gorilla on the exit polls

ChooseLiberty
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/#MIREP

Primary voters over 30 years old were 87% of the votes and RP averages 4-8% with them.

Below 30 years old are 13% of voters and RP gets 19%.

PimpBlimp
01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Old people don't like change?

rezster
01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Even worse was losing to both McCain and Romney in the 18-29 age group!!!!!!!!!!!!

123tim
01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Old people have no way (yet) of hearing about Ron Paul.
It's our duty to let them know.

Take a laptop and tell an older person about Ron Paul today!

tfelice
01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
It's not that the don't like change. Most of them have voted for this platform before, it just hasn't been properly communicated to them this time.

Paul's support comes primarily from the internet and third party political junkies. He has done little if anything to reach out to the GOP base.

rezster
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Old people don't like change?

Seems like the "young" people like the McCain and Romney type of change. :confused:

tfelice
01-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Seems like the "young" people like the McCain and Romney type of change. :confused:

It's not the message, it's the marketing of it. Paul has a winning message that has won many times before, he just does a poor job at communicating it to the average GOP voter

ChooseLiberty
01-15-2008, 09:40 PM
People for RP need to quit whining about "old people" not liking RP.

They have A LOT more votes.

From the exit poll demo data - RP needs to market to women over 30 that go to church.

Yes folks, YOU HAVE TO CONVINCE THE CHURCH LADY.

Otherwise RP is doomed to 8-10%. Same as Ohio and NH. That's just the facts.

mexicanpizza
01-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Old folks aren't willing to "give up" on the war. Sad but true IMHO.

RSLudlum
01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
that's why if you have a (grand)father/mother that supports Paul try to get them to actively campaign for him in their circles/communities/activities.

tfelice
01-15-2008, 09:44 PM

From the exit poll demo data - RP needs to market to women over 30 that go to church.

But the question is, why hadn't the campaign, the candidate and the grassroots figured this out months ago. If I know who the average GOP voter is, why don't they?

ChooseLiberty
01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Watch this video to see what even a shoestring budget can put together for the Libertarian party.

Substitute some church ladies into the video.

MARKET!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-48756866274593101

wgadget
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark.

agaiziunas
01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
My grandma was going to vote for Romney in Illinois because "he looks nice". That's what 80 yr old widows like for president.

It took her grandson telling her about Romney's crap platform & about Ron Paul to get her and switch her vote, but that's family.

Doubt I could convince the prune lady next door unless I got a grandson/daughter involved :P

amakris
01-15-2008, 09:48 PM
The "War in Iraq" question and "Needed Change" questions are infuriating. They imply voters are both uneducated and irrational.

tfelice
01-15-2008, 09:48 PM
My grandma was going to vote for Romney in Illinois because "he looks nice". That's what 80 yr old widows like for president.

It took her grandson telling her about Romney's crap platform & about Ron Paul to get her and switch her vote, but that's family.

Doubt I could convince the prune lady next door unless I got a grandson/daughter involved :P

So true, but this is nothing new. The candidate & campaign should have known this before they got into this, so why didn't the address it?

RoamZero
01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Maybe they need to be scared into voting for the right candidate? Do old people like the idea of Social Security imploding? Their children and grandchildren drafted? The country going into a recession and their children losing their jobs?

ChooseLiberty
01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
It's not just the 80 yo grandmas.

The stats really say EVERYONE over 30, but especially - WOMEN and CHURCH GOERS.

They need TARGETED ADVERTISING ON THE BOOB TUBE not YOUTUBE.

Facts.

Facts.

Facts.

Hopefully the campaign can fix this gross negligence in time for Texas, Florida and California, etc.

ChooseLiberty
01-15-2008, 09:52 PM
LOL. No offense. Maybe you can provide some guidance.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Michigan11
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Get the old people somthing to do on election day, like nyquil

tfelice
01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
It's not just the 80 yo grandmas.

The stats really say EVERYONE over 30, but especially - WOMEN and CHURCH GOERS.

They need TARGETED ADVERTISING ON THE BOOB TUBE not YOUTUBE.

Facts.

Facts.

Facts.

Hopefully the campaign can fix this gross negligence in time for Texas, Florida and California, etc.

I'm beginning to think that the campaign was as self-deluded as some in the grassroots are/were. That because they were so big online, raised so much money and did so well in the straw polls that their support was far larger than it actually was.

Ara825
01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Enough already! DAMN! Rather than complaining about the "old" people, why don't you start talking to them. You might be surprised at how willing they are to listen if you look them in the eyes smile and introduce yourself, and don't dress like a gangster. Old people don't like seeing your underwear so pull up your pants. Don't use slang words like "waz up, snap, dude, bad, dawg, etc. They might not understand these words and take them the wrong way. Talk to them about the current war and about how you can now understand what it was like for them during the Vietam war that lasted for over a decade and took so many of their sons. That should get you started.

all J's in IL for RP
01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Talk to them about their issues and how RP addresses their concerns! They likely won't like the fact that Ron's against the war or his take on the WOT, so don't lead with it. This is the WWII/Korea generation we're talking about, where people actually did have to shut up when the country went to war. Find out what they care about and talk about that.

makrothymia
01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
and that was a factor for one Ron Paul support in NH-- get to the older people, because a large number she met did not know about Ron Paul.

tfelice
01-15-2008, 10:29 PM
This is the WWII/Korea generation we're talking about, where people actually did have to shut up when the country went to war.

I think you mean where people actually had to say goodbye to your family, sacrifice and work hard when the country went to war, instead of today where you can smoke pot and complain about the war in chat rooms & forums.

Paul4Prez
01-15-2008, 10:33 PM
The "War in Iraq" question and "Needed Change" questions are infuriating. They imply voters are both uneducated and irrational.

Strongly Disapprove of the war in Iraq = 19% of the REPUBLICAN voters. Ron Paul won just 20% of that 19%, behind McCain (35%) and Romney (22%). We should own this issue. I can't help but think the campaign downplaying Ron Paul's opposition to the war in their advertising campaign has been its single biggest mistake.

Think another 15% of the vote would have made our night a LITTLE more festive?

all J's in IL for RP
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I think you mean where people actually had to say goodbye to your family, sacrifice and work hard when the country went to war, instead of today where you can smoke pot and complain about the war in chat rooms & forums.

No, I mean people like my grandmother, who knew bullshit when she saw it as Roosevelt provoked the war with Japan, but couldn't say anything while three of her sons were drafted and fought in WWII.