PDA

View Full Version : Official Starting a PAC thread

DeadheadForPaul
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I thought we should organize this in one thread if we want to get it done

For the FEC's info on PACs, here is the link: http://www.fec.gov/pdf/nongui.pdf
I highly recommend that we comb over this to make sure that we are not violating any laws/rules.

Things to note:
1.) PACs must register with the FEC. A non-connected (that's us) committee becomes a "political committee" once its contributions or expeditures exceed $1000 in a calendar year. After that threshhold is crossed, the committee must register within 10 days and All financial activities must be periodically reported. A nonconnected committed can register before it reachs $1000

2.) The committee must have a treasurer before it accepts contributions or makes expenditures. Only the treasurer or designated treasurer assistant may sign FEC reports and statements. The treasurer must deposit all receipts in the committee's designated bank within 10 days of receipt. The treasurer also must monitor contributions to make sure that no limits/laws are broken (ex:you can't take 5 grand from 1 person if the limit is 2300)

For a treasurer, I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who has had experience with a PAC, someone who has been a treasurer, or someone who is a lawyer should be it

Please note that you are legally responsible for all that the PAC does and that if the PAC breaks any laws, you are personally accountable for these violations

empirenine
07-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I'll just throw it out there again, but I'll donate my time/money to design & host a website for this PAC if necessary.

Douglass Bartley
07-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Liberty Eagle told me you needed my help here. What can I do to help? I'm not at all up to snuff on the sort of questions involved here, but I'll try.

mdh
07-26-2007, 02:49 PM
The guide you link to is almost 12 years old. Are you sure it is correct? I am starting a PAC now, right now we are working on state non-profit and federal 527 registrations.

I know there has been at least one landmark case that the supreme court ruled on and nullified a portion of McCain-Feingold which related to PACs.

DeadheadForPaul
07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
The guide you link to is almost 12 years old. Are you sure it is correct? I am starting a PAC now, right now we are working on state non-profit and federal 527 registrations.

The top of it says October 2005...They may have updated since then but it shouldn't be radically out of date