07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Like FDR, Bush Puts Constitution Through Shredder
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:02 PM
Please see http://rxpaul.townhall.com/g/44083199-7301-413e-a22c-460442f6cdfc

Kuldebar
07-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Here's the cover off one of my favorite books:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/Kuldebar/BookJacket.jpg

The cartoon on the cover appeared in The Chicago tribune, October 8, 1941.

The book was published in 1948. Americans tend to forget that Roosevelt was hated by many and certainly not worshiped as he is today. The same is true of Lincoln, but sacred cows die slowly.

Thatguyuknow
07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Except, you know, FDR led America through one of its worst depressions, saw us through our most righteous war, and propelled us to the superpower we are today..

Bush..

Douglass Bartley
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Kudle: I have that same picture on the blog cited just above

LibertyEagle
Not in my family. FDR was scorned.

I was raised right. :D

LibertyEagle
Hey Doug, we need your help over on the PAC thread.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=9076

Kuldebar
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Except, you know, FDR led America through one of its worst depressions, saw us through our most righteous war, and propelled us to the superpower we are today..

Bush..

Well, I will grant you that most Americans believe that Roosevelt did those things.

DeadheadForPaul
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Bush..

Someone went to public school ;)

I will give FDR props for leading us through the war but many economists have suggested that his economic policies actually prolonged the depression

Kuldebar
07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Kudle: I have that same picture on the blog cited just above

lol Doug, didnt check...just scanned my book cover.

DeadheadForPaul
07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Is that Roosevelt Myth book written by an economic, historian or what? I've never heard of it but it got decent reviews...though perhaps that is because a bunch of conservatives/libertarians read it and no liberals did

I'd prefer an economist's take on FDR

Kuldebar
07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Is that Roosevelt Myth book written by an economic, historian or what? I've never heard of it but it got decent reviews...though perhaps that is because a bunch of conservatives/libertarians read it and no liberals did

I'd prefer an economist's take on FDR

John T. Flynn
(October 25, 1882-1964) was a U.S. journalist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Flynn

Nice info:

In 1944, he wrote a classic critique of the American drift toward statism: As We Go Marching in which he warned of an unholy alliance influencing US foreign policy.

"The enemy aggressor is always pursuing a course of larceny, murder, rapine and barbarism. We are always moving forward with high mission, a destiny imposed by the Deity to regenerate our victims while incidentally capturing their markets, to civilise savage and senile and paranoid peoples while blundering accidentally into their oil wells."[1].

Kuldebar
07-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Come on, that's a great quote from 1944:

"The enemy aggressor is always pursuing a course of larceny, murder, rapine and barbarism. We are always moving forward with high mission, a destiny imposed by the Deity to regenerate our victims while incidentally capturing their markets, to civilise savage and senile and paranoid peoples while blundering accidentally into their oil wells."

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

ThePieSwindler
07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Roosevelt's policies are the reason agriculture is so heavily subsidized today, why union-management relationships now have goverment regulations, why Social Security and welfare hamper our economic well-being, etc. Roosevelt's price fixing of gold actually hurt world economies significantly. Most of the New Deal legislation nationalized parts of the economy, controlling competition and subsidizing some in favor of others. The national recovery administration not only failed to fulfill its promised purpose, but was struck down by the SCOTUS as Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes wrote that "extraordinary conditions do not create or enlarge constitutional power." And for all the "recovery" that ensued, 1938 was actually the worst year of the depression. It was the war and the return of production to the private sector that made the US prosperous once again.

Bush is much the same in that he is expanding government in the time of a "national crisis".

Man from La Mancha
07-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Roosevelt stole our gold, supported Stalin as he killed millions and did everything to get into WW2 even by setting up our Sailors at Pearl Harbor to die. He fired 2 admirals that refused to park all their ships in one spot because they knew it was very unsafe to do. He was a card caring communist. He allowed the Federal Reserve to pull in the money supply thus worsening the depression. Another bankster puppet. And on and on.

lucius
07-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Here's the cover off one of my favorite books:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/Kuldebar/BookJacket.jpg

The cartoon on the cover appeared in The Chicago tribune, October 8, 1941.

The book was published in 1948. Americans tend to forget that Roosevelt was hated by many and certainly not worshiped as he is today. The same is true of Lincoln, but sacred cows die slowly.

Just bought it for $5.17 off amazon--thanks for the prompt.

LibertyEagle
07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Roosevelt stole our gold, supported Stalin as he killed millions and did everything to get into WW2 even by setting up our Sailors at Pearl Harbor to die. He fired 2 admirals that refused to park all their ships in one spot because they knew it was very unsafe to do. He was a card caring communist. He allowed the Federal Reserve to pull in the money supply thus worsening the depression. Another bankster puppet. And on and on.

Yup, that's pretty much what I was told when I was growing up. ;)

Bradley in DC
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=4013

ButchHowdy
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I simply remember when Prophet Archie Bunker Told Maude that "This country was destroyed by Franklin Delano Roosevelt"

That's all I needed to hear.!

bygone
07-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Our progress out of the depression is obvious. But that is not all that you and I mean by the new order of things. Our pledge was not merely to do a patchwork job with secondhand materials. By using the new materials of social justice we have undertaken to erect on the old foundations a more enduring structure for the better use of future generations.

In that purpose we have been helped by achievements of mind and spirit. Old truths have been relearned; untruths have been unlearned. We have always known that heedless self interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. Out of the collapse of a prosperity whose builders boasted their practicality has come the conviction that in the long run economic morality pays. We are beginning to wipe out the line that divides the practical from the ideal; and in so doing we are fashioning an instrument of unimagined power for the establishment of a morally better world.

Second Inaugural Address of Franklin D. Roosevelt

All you need to understand this man is to look at what he says. This was back in a different day when you could say vastly different things than you can today.

Kuldebar
07-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Just bought it for $5.17 off amazon--thanks for the prompt.

It's a substantial book, not lightweight by any measure, I think you will enjoy the read.

But, the contemporary viewpoints expressed by Flynn carry a lot more value than the far more worshipful stuff that other "historians" have written over the years.