PDA

View Full Version : FDA Halting Hormone Treatments w/ Estriol

Smiley Gladhands
01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I received the following email:

Warning! You May Lose Your Access to Compounded Hormones!

The FDA and Wyeth, a big drug maker, are trying to stop bio-identical hormone replacement therapy! Get involved and fight back!

Last week FDA decided to support a Wyeth campaign against compounded treatments and announced that it will “halt” compounding of hormone treatments that contain estriol. Estriol is a common and critical component of many bioidentical hormone therapies (including Bi-Est and Tri-Est) that meets standards that were established by Congress. If you are not sure if you are taking estriol, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Even if you don't take a medication with estriol, is your hormone or other compounded treatment next?

If FDA and Wyeth have their way, you will lose this access to vital treatment options. This action affects hundreds of thousands of women!

We need your help!

We are calling on you to GET INVOLVED AND FIGHT BACK:

We are working to engage Members of Congress to call on FDA to reverse its decision. We need your help to encourage your Representatives and Senators in Congress and to stand up for the rights of women.

It’s easy and effective. Simply click here to send a letter to each of your Representatives and Senators in Congress, as well as FDA. There, you will find a sample letter that you can tailor and send with one click of the mouse.

Once you’ve sent your letters, you can also call your members of Congress and tell them why FDA’s action supporting Wyeth is wrong. Use IACP’s easy-to-use call alert system. Talking points and phone numbers for your members of Congress are provided within the call alert system.

Also, please forward this message to your friends who take compounded bio-identical hormones and other friends who might be willing to speak out on your behalf.

The time is now for us to take action to save bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. We need your help to ensure that the FDA and Wyeth are not allowed to rob us of the treatments we are prescribed to enjoy happier, healthier lives.

Click here to take action now!

And here was my response....most of it was a form letter, but I edited it so it made more sense (and I added a p.s.):

Jan 15, 2008

Senator Kay Hutchison
Constitution and Delaware Avenues, NE
Washington, DC 20510-4303

Dear Senator Hutchison,

As a woman who is going through menopause, my mother is very concerned
about the FDA's recently announced policy regarding compounded
bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT). She is able to
control the symptoms of her menopause (or so she tell me) with the
help of compounded bio-identical hormones and I do not want the FDA to
take away her access to these drugs. Or any other drugs, frankly,
that she and her doctor decide are in her best interest to use.

She and her doctor sat down and decided together that compounded
bio-identical hormones were right for her. I want my doctor, not the
FDA or Wyeth, to continue to have the right to determine what
treatment options are right for me.

FDA's new policy hurts patients, doctors and pharmacists, while only
benefiting large pharmaceutical companies like Wyeth. I strongly
encourage you to contact FDA and ask it to reverse its policy on
compounded bio-identical hormone replacement therapy immediately.

p.s. - Vote for Ron Paul to help restore liberties which have been
stolen from us YEAR after YEAR after YEAR. And stop wasting time on
MLB steriod investigation. You have better things to do like
PROTECTING PEOPLE'S RIGHTS. We the people are starting to get sick of
congress (in case you haven't checked your approval ratings lately).
Don't get complacent. We the people are watching.

Sincerely,

xxx

This link will take you to a page where you can send the form letter, or your own letter, to your representatives:

http://iacprx.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=P2C2001secBHRTatRisk

Feel free to join in. This is the first I've ever heard about hormone replacent whatevers, but frankly I don't care if people decide to bathe in feces for medical reasons. It's their own life and their own health decisions, and the FDA should stay the hell out of it!!!

p.s.-Do you think John Cornyn, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, and the FDA Commisioner guy (whatever his stupid name is) are going to vote for Ron Paul as I've suggested? :D

Smiley Gladhands
01-16-2008, 08:50 AM
bump

Feel free to click the link and send an email to your reps. :)