PDA

View Full Version : Is Romney a closet anchor baby?

Matt Collins
01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
This came across my e-mail a bit ago and wanted to run it by everyone here:

Folks,
I have not had the time to do my own research on a question I have asked a couple times but Martha found the time and sent this which doesn't really answer the question (I suspect that no one wants it to be answered) but it does bring up the possibility that MITT ROMNEY MAY WELL BE A CLOSET ANCHOR BABY.

My question has been - since George Romney was born in Mexico and re-entered America with his mother while fleeing across the border due to some uprising in Mexico at the time - When and where did George Romney obtain American citizenship. Did he need to? Since this was a point brought up shortly before George Romney bowed out of his run for the presidency I have always wondered if he was, in fat, a Legal American citizen. I have never seen a satisfactory explanation to that question. My point is that if George Romney was not a legal American citizen that would make Mitt Romney a *Closet ANCHOR BABY*

Why is this issue ignored by the media and all others? It is a legitimate question that if there is no secrets being covered over could be answered easily.

Let's all send Lou Dobbs and CNN this question and see if any of them cover it. wanna place any bets? hahahaha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is this, on George Romney and citizenship, with some interesting observations from commentors. There is nothing so far on his having become a citizen at all. Either he was considered a natural citizen, or was not one at all !!!! It looks like his citizenship was presumed and assumed?
Maybe you have already seen this post:

Pensito Review: Politics and Media Pensito Review: Politics and Media (http://www.pensitoreview.com/)
HOME ABOUT US CONTACT
January 15, 2008
ARCHIVES
Romney’s Mexico-Born Father Made Quixotic Run against Nixon and Reagan in ‘68 (http://www.pensitoreview.com/2007/05/15/romneys-mexico-born-father-made-quixotic-run-in-68/)
Jon Ponder | May. 15, 2007

[]Like George W. Bush, Mitt Romney is an Eastern elite whose father was a famous political figure. George W. Romney had a high-profile private sector job, as C.E.O of American Motors, manufacturer of the Rambler, before serving as governor of Michigan for three terms.
In 1968, Gov. Romney ran for the Republican nomination against Richard Nixon, who won that year, and Ronald Reagan, who went on to win in 1980. But what George Romney is best remembered for is being tripped up on a statement about his support for the Vietnam War:

Romney told a news reporter that he had been “brainwashed” by the military and the diplomatic corps into supporting the Vietnam War. As the year 1968 opened, Romney was opposed to further American intervention in Vietnam and had decided to run as the Republican version of [antiwar Democrat] Gene McCarthy. Romney’s support faded slowly, and he withdrew from the race on February 28, 1968..

But even if he had won the presidency, George Romney would have faced a constitutional question before he could be sworn in. Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution, which says “No person except a natural born citizen … shall be eligible to the office of president”* prohibits people born in foreign countries from serving as president, and he was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, into a renegade sect of polygamous Mormons.
George Romney’s grandfather, Miles Park Romney, had five wives, and had moved the family to Mexico when polygamy became a federal crime in the United States. (It was a crime in Mexico, too, but was largely ignored in remote areas.) However, when the Mexican Revolution broke out in 1910, when George was about three years old, the famly returned to the United States, eventually ending up in Salt Lake City, Utah.
In 1969, Pres. Nixon appointed Romney as secretary of Housing and Urban Development, a post he held until 1973.

*Update: Corrected citation from the Constitution that prohibits foreign-born presidents. H/t: Bob Sakowski in comments.

Topics: Uncategorized
| Permalink | Trackback |
COMMENTS
4 Comments on

"Romney’s Mexico-Born Father Made Quixotic Run against Nixon and Reagan in ‘68 (http://www.pensitoreview.com/2007/05/15/romneys-mexico-born-father-made-quixotic-run-in-68/)"
“The 14th Amendment prohibits people born in foreign countries from serving as president…”
Where, exactly, does the 14th say that?
Comment by Bob Sakowski | May. 15, 2007, 7:53 am |

14th Amendment says naturalized citizens cannot become president. George Romney was a citizen from birth as both his oarents were citizens.
For the record, Obama was born in Singapore but is a natural born American citizena dn thus eligible for the presidencv.
Comment by Jeanne Matthews | May. 16, 2007, 5:52 pm |

Answering myself:
According to this commentary http://www.newsmax.com/lowell_ponte/John_McCain/2007/07/16/18349.html
the 1st Congress in 1790 passed a law stating that
“The children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond the sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural-born citizens of the United States.”
But since it is not in the Constitution itself, George Romney’s case would have had to be decided in the Supreme Court.
John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone. Panama ceded “control” over the Zone to the US, but it was not in the “United States.” I doubt anyone would challenge McCain if he ran * but who knows these days?
Comment by Norbert Hirschhorn | Nov. 3, 2007, 10:45 am |

My previous email didn’t post. Just to say that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961; Hawaii became a state in 1959.
The 14th amendment doesn’t use the term “natural born citizen” but redefines citizenship: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.”
Persons who served in an official capacity in the US, swearing loyalty to the Constitution, and then joined the Confederacy, were made ineligible to rejoin the US in any office; but Congress by a 2/3 vote could remove the disability. In 1978 Congress posthumously did so for Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis.
Comment by Norbert Hirschhorn | Nov. 3, 2007, 10:50 am |

pdavis
01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
George Romney was fathered by an American making him a natural born citizen.

Article 2 Section 1:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

constituent
01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
consider this my nominee for this year's "best thread title" award.

Redcard
01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Romney's father was born to American Citizens. Thus, Romney's father was a natural born citizen.

It's really that easy.

Redcard
01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
(And just so anyone who cares.. if you think being born outside the US to american citizens does not make you a natural born citizen, then remember that Barry Goldwater was also born outside the US.. )

Matt Collins
01-16-2008, 01:44 AM
consider this my nominee for this year's "best thread title" award.

LOL - why is that? :o

Matt Collins
01-16-2008, 01:45 AM
It's really that easy.Hey - I didn't make it up. I am just reposting what someone sent me via e-mail.

gaazn
01-16-2008, 01:56 AM
take the high road.

alexa doherty
01-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Romney's father was born to American Citizens. Thus, Romney's father was a natural born citizen.

It's really that easy.

Wrong and you're [edit/forum guidelines]

Mitt Romney's father WAS born in mexico.

I have know idea about mitt. Was he an anchor baby? Perhaps but people have interpreted him to be legal I guess. Still I see no reason not to expose him as possibly being an anchor baby considering Ron Paul considers that to be illegal and not what the 14 ammendment intended.

alexa doherty
01-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Hey - I didn't make it up. I am just reposting what someone sent me via e-mail.

You're correct that his father was born their.

Alawn
01-16-2008, 02:21 AM
Wrong and you're a blithering idiot. You always post lies. Is it redcard(communist) or green card(illegal)?

I have know idea about mitt. Was he an anchor baby? Perhaps but people have interpreted him to be legal I guess. Still I see no reason not to expose him as possibly being an anchor baby considering Ron Paul considers that to be illegal and not what the 14 ammendment intended.

Was one of Romney's grandparents on his father's side an American citizen? If yes then it makes no difference at all where his father was born. The rule is that you are a citizen if one of your parents was a citizen no matter where you were born.

alexa doherty
01-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Was one of Romney's grandparents on his father's side an American citizen? If yes then it makes no difference at all where his father was born. The rule is that you are a citizen if one of your parents was a citizen no matter where you were born.

That I do not know. Good question.

Romney's father being born in mexico is funny enough though. And I think romney does look mexican. lol

LibertyOfOne
01-16-2008, 03:09 AM
Wrong and you're [edit for quote]

I have know idea about mitt.

Irony :-)

alexa doherty
01-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Irony

No not Irony, dummy. REALITY. Father born in mexico. :D

LibertyOfOne
01-16-2008, 04:41 AM
No not Irony, dummy. REALITY. Father born in mexico. :D

I'm sorry that went over your head.

constituent
01-16-2008, 05:37 AM
LOL - why is that? :o

it's too funny. i laughed yesterday, saw it again this a.m. and sprayed my coffee!

a closet anchor baby... hilarious!

ShaneC
01-16-2008, 06:35 AM
That I do not know. Good question.

Romney's father being born in mexico is funny enough though. And I think romney does look mexican. lol

And I always thought it was just a fake tan.

Dave Pedersen
01-16-2008, 06:37 AM
What's a "closet anchor"? ..and don't call me "baby".

Matt Collins
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
And I always thought it was just a fake tan.Good point... I hadn't thought about that

CountryboyRonPaul
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born_citizen#Children_born_outside_the_United_Stat es_to_American_parents

"Three major candidates have sought the Presidency who were born outside the United States: Barry Goldwater (ran in 1964) was born in Arizona while it was still a U.S. territory, George Romney (ran in 1968) was born in Mexico to U.S. parents, and John McCain (ran in 2000) was born in the Panama Canal Zone to U.S. parents. Barry Goldwater's case among these three is unique in that although Arizona was not a state, it was a fully incorporated territory of the United States, making it debatable whether or not he was born "outside" the United States. The Panama Canal Zone, though controlled by the United States and partly under its jurisdiction, was part of Panama. None of these candidates was elected, so it has never been fully addressed whether children born to Americans overseas are "natural-born citizens" and thus eligible for the Presidency. However, McCain is currently seeking the 2008 Republican nomination for President."

Who knows? :p

1000-points-of-fright
01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm amazed at how many people don't understand the whole "natural born citizen" thing. It's pretty simple and yet they just don't get it. It's not where you are born, it's who you are born to.

If one parent is a US citizen then the child is too. Doesn't matter where they are born. You can have 5 generations of your family born in China, and as long as one Great-Great-grandparent was a US citizen and one set of parents along the way didn't renounce their citizenship, you're a citizen and you can come back to the US and be President... if you're old enough.

This, of course, brings up the birthright citizenship controversy.

danish
01-20-2008, 11:21 PM
lol probably

Naraku
01-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Both of George Romney's parents were born in the U.S. and lived there before he was born. So he would definitely be a U.S. citizen.

ConstitutionGal
01-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Both of George Romney's parents were born in the U.S. and lived there before he was born. So he would definitely be a U.S. citizen.

This depends entirely on whether George's parents renounced their U.S. citizenship or not when they fled the U.S. in order to continue practicing polygamy. I have yet to be able to find any bona fide records either way. IF, in fact, they DID renounce, then George was NOT a natural born citizen which would have made Mitt (born after the family came back to the U.S.) an honest to goodness anchor baby. I think this is where the conjecture is coming from.

Fox McCloud
01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
(And just so anyone who cares.. if you think being born outside the US to american citizens does not make you a natural born citizen, then remember that Barry Goldwater was also born outside the US.. )

as was John McCain

Naraku
01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
This depends entirely on whether George's parents renounced their U.S. citizenship or not when they fled the U.S. in order to continue practicing polygamy.

You're going by the Wikipedia entry, which tripped me up, but Gaskell Romney, George Romney's father, was actually born in the United States. Anna, his mother, was herself born there. Since both of his parents were born in the United States and lived there for a time, he was an American citizen.

Being born of a U.S. citizen apparently is not the sole factor needing consideration. If Gaskell Romney was not a citizen and Anna Pratt did not live in the U.S. two years past her 14th birthday, supposedly, going by Wikipedia mind you, he would not have qualified. However, since both were born in the U.S., making them citizens, and lived there for a time before George Romney was born, he is a U.S. citizen.

It's an interesting idea, and one I would definitely want to be true, but it simply isn't.