PDA

View Full Version : Discouraging experience today, but still a glimmer of hope

Eisenh0wer
01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
I've recently signed up to be a precinct leader in New York City, so I've been out spreading the message of Ron Paul. I've been targeting my work place in particular. My first priority was to promote Ron Paul's book, "A Foreign Policy of Freedom." So today I went in and saw that the 2008 presidential campaign table was up. It featured a biography on McCain, Clinton, Romney, and several books that introduced all the candidates (except one of them did not include Paul, but another gave a very favorable review of him). Two weeks earlier I had ordered five copies of Paul's book to the store (we did not have any at all), and they were in the section waiting to be promoted.. so I removed one of Clinton's books and placed Paul's on it. But then I realized it would look a lot better if Ron Paul's book was placed at the top of the display, above the others, to give it a more favorable (and subtle) presentation. So when someone turns the corner to see the 2008 presidential display, the first book they'll see is Ron Paul's.

Then my hopes shot up. I found out my manager was a big Ron Paul supporter, and had heard about Paul through a book called "Creature from Jekyll Island," a book exposing the Federal Reserve. He then told me that another of my fellow employees was a Ron Paul supporter, and she learned about Paul through her mother, also a big supporter. Another two of my fellow employees were also Ron Paul supporters (one of them, however, does not like his foreign policy, thinking we should have bases across the world, but he still supports the Dr for his domestic policies). I had also convinced two other employees to vote Paul after raising their interests.

But then reality set in. Out of these individuals, only *one* of them is a registered Republican. They like Ron Paul, want him to win, but never registered Republican. In New York City, you have to be Republican in order to vote in the Republican primary, unlike Michigan. And the deadline has passed. So Dr. Paul is losing all these crucial votes. In my opinion, it seems that Dr. Paul's message of freedom is spreading, but, unfortunately, too late to impact the primaries. Too late for people to register or shift their affiliations. Not to be a downer, I think that if Paul does not win any state before Super Tuesday, he's not going to get the nomination, no matter how hard we try... but I still have some hope.

If Paul does not get the nomination, I will be fully behind him when/if he runs independent. But he will lose if we, his base, do not keep fighting the good fight. If we give up and abandon Paul after a possible defeat in the Republican convention, then there will be no hope at all for America. We have the greatest single grassroots campaign in American history. If Paul runs third party there is no doubt in my mind that if we remain unified, strong, and confident, we can propel Paul to victory. My experience today in Barnes and Noble is evident of that. The message is getting out there, people are picking it up, even if it may be too late for them to have any impact in the primaries, they will still matter in the general election when party affiliations do not matter. Already I've been noticing some people abandoning the effort after poor showings in NH and Iowa and Dr. Paul's reluctance to force a recount in NH. We cannot give up just because of some setbacks... if our founding fathers gave up during the American Revolution because of the many defeats in the early campaign we would not be here today.

Even if Dr. Paul does not become President in 2008, we cannot abandon his message or the revolution. I plan on running for local offices in the next several years, with a possible Congressional run of my own in the future, all aimed at spreading the Ron Paul message. If we keep on fighting, keep on spreading the message, if we elect Ron Paul-minded officials to office (or run ourselves), we will win in the long run... keep it up.

AlexMerced
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
exactly, this isn't over until it's over, like I said we have more support but a lot of that support won't be voting in the primaries sadly despite our efforts. Just keep educating.

Knowledge is power.

bcreps85
01-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Being forced to vote by party instead of by candidate is retarded, and probably unconstitutional.

liberty_Forever
01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Don't worry we are building a network . =)

govtpigII
01-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I live in Upstate and I was at a New Years party, about 20 people ages 25-40. I found out that we had a total of 5 RP supporters in the crowd, very dedicated also.

Not a one of us are registered Republican.

Ethek
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Its doing pretty well I think. Especially since NYC is Bloombergs lair.

ARealConservative
01-15-2008, 03:09 PM
So the bad news is this might be the last election we ever lose. :D

WilliamC
01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey, they can still donate right? Get them to send $20 or so for the MLK money bomb!