PDA

View Full Version : Call Congress NOW!!!

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
From Chuck Muth (www.citizenoutreach.com)

There's a vacancy on the House Appropriations Committee. That's where all the money is spent and bills are larded up with pork. And the guy who has been most vocally and actively opposed to earmarks and pork-barrel spending, Republican Rep. Jeff Flake of Arizona, is seeking appointment by the GOP leadership to fill that opening.

Dubbed by the Wall Street Journal the "Anti-Appropriator," Flake is being challenged for the spot by Republican Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, who is also the head of the National Republican Congressional Committee. The fear is that Cole would use the slot on the Appropriations Committee to continue larding up bills as a way to help re-elect incumbent Republicans.

Big-spending/big-government Republicans lost the support of fiscal conservatives in the 2006 election and lost their House majority because of it. Who the GOP appoints to fill this vacancy will tell fiscal conservatives all they need to know about whether or not today's GOP leaders have learned their lesson and deserve renewed support.

If you'd like to help those leaders make the "right" decision and appoint Rep. Flake to the Appropriations Committee then please go to this special Make It Flake (www.makeitflake.com) website being sponsored by our good friends over at FreedomWorks and sign the online petition you'll find there.

You can also call the others on the committee to voice your opinion.

KEEP IT NICE please :D

kushaze
01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
bump

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 02:07 PM
This is important for the revolution guys!!

We need to support people that support Dr Paul's position on spending!!

bucfish
01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Bump this and sign that petition

jawrightbiz
01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Can we know for sure that he represents a platform similar to Ron Paul's? If he does then this is one of the many people we need to support, as we will in the future, for any candidate for any position with a platform mirroring Dr. Pauls.

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
http://flake.house.gov/Issues/

I'm a political junkie. I wouldn't say support Flake if I didn't think he deserved our support. :D

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't take it from me, how about from Ron Paul himself?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_33_17/ai_78127745

Insight: Who on Capitol Hill do you find most sympathetic with your ideas?

Ron Paul: The person who votes with me most is Jeff Flake [R-Ariz.]. There also are a lot of others who frequently vote with me. On some issues, such as civil liberties, the drug war and some of the foreign-policy issues, my allies may be liberals.

Young_Apprentice
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Wait!!! Don't bother Nancy Pelosi!! Didn't you know she's saving the world (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7888.html)?!

-lotus-
01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Hasnt Paul himself said that earmarks on bills (pork barrel) doesnt really affect anything since those funds have already been apprpriated and all they are doing is trying to get future allocations for funds? sure this is important but not so much so that it needs to distract people from the campaign at hand.

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Hasnt Paul himself said that earmarks on bills (pork barrel) doesnt really affect anything since those funds have already been apprpriated and all they are doing is trying to get future allocations for funds? sure this is important but not so much so that it needs to distract people from the campaign at hand.

All we need to do is call a few members of Congress and tell them to support Flake being on the Appropriations Committee. It would take 10 minutes at the most, and it is important WELL PAST 2008 elections.

WilliamC
01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm actually from Roger Wickers district, he's the one who resigned to fill out Trent Lott's Senate seat and left this vacency.

I called all of the people on the steering committee, told them this, and told them to put Jeff Flake in there.

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks William!! :D

apc3161
01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Bump,

I made a post on this the other day, it didn't get much attention, but I'm glad its getting attention now.

This guy is ranked #1 by:

Citizens against government growth
Freedomworks
Club for growth

and a bunch of others. This guy is 100% ANTI pork.

He even voted against the department of homeland security, saying more government spending and bureaucracy wont make us safer. Sound familiar?

www.makeitflake.com

mosquitobite
01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Bump, I hope people are calling even if they're not posting.

IndieRocker79
01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I signed the petition, I'm not too good with the phone calling stuff. :-)

foofighter20x
01-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Sticky...

apc3161
01-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Bump, I hope people are calling even if they're not posting.

bump, so do I.

bump

-lotus-
01-16-2008, 01:38 AM
signed, emailed and bumped.

mosquitobite
01-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Sticky...

Thank you!! :D

mosquitobite
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
On Capitol Hill, A Fight for the Soul of the Republican Party
Dear Friend,

Early next week, Republicans in Congress face a decision that will say much about the party’s future direction on spending discipline. By appointing Jeff Flake (www.makeitflake.com), a commited fiscal conservative and serious Congressional reformer, to the Appropriations Committee, Republicans can prove they mean business when it comes to reining in government spending.

As you know, the Appropriations Committee controls the spending levers for most of the federal government. And too often, both parties abuse that power to insert billions of dollars of “earmarks” that divert funding to special interest projects.

In recent years, these earmarks have included millions to build a rainforest in Iowa and the infamous “bridge to nowhere” in Alaska.

Ever since Republicans lost control of Congress in 2006, Minority Leader John Boehner has been working hard to convince his fellow Republicans that a return to fiscal responsibility and limited government principles is the way to regain the trust of the American people.

Will Republicans continue business-as-usual on Appropriations, or will they appoint a true reformer to the Committee?

Leader Boehner knows the value of getting Republicans back to being the “party of less,” but he has an uphill battle (just as I did when I was in Congress) in going against some Members of his own party. Many Appropriators advance an agenda of “spend, spend, spend” with too little oversight. The goal for these politicians is to bring home the pork and create pet projects for their districts no matter what it costs the American taxpayer.

Now, however, there is an open spot on the Appropriations Committee, and we know just the person to fill it. Rep. Jeff Flake, (R-6, AZ), a limited government conservative, has been leading the fight against pork-barrel earmarks and wasteful spending. He is ready to step in and reform Congress’ culture of out-of-control spending from the inside.

Help send a message that Rep. Flake is the right man for the job by visiting www.MakeItFlake.com and adding your name to our open letter to Leader Boehner. You can also make a phone call and send emails to Congress.

This is a powerful opportunity for the Republican Leadership in Congress to prove they are serious about returning to an agenda of limited government principles.

Rep. Flake has made a name for himself on Capitol Hill for his stalwart stand against the practice of earmarking. He puts the spotlight on pork with his “Egregious Earmark” press releases and frequent speeches on the House floor.

Jeff Flake is serious about reining in spending and has done an incredible job to date. But he can do even more by attacking the issue at its choke-point from inside the Appropriations Committee.

Leader Boehner and key Republicans such as Roy Blunt (R-7, MO), Eric Cantor (R-7, VA) and Adam Putnam (R-12, FL), will ultimately decide who fills the current vacancy on the committee.

For years, Congressman Flake has been a voice in the wilderness for fiscal responsibility. Republicans should now let him lead the charge.

Please visit MakeItFlake.com to join us!

Sincerely,

Dick Armey
Former Majority Leader
United States House of Representatives