PDA

View Full Version : TV season over WRITERS CONTRACTS CANCELLED , Economy gets WORSE

Falseflagop
01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
as RON predicted!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080115/ap_on_en_tv/hollywood_labor

I personally will not miss these guys.

Azprint
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Whatever I don't watch this shit to care :) main thing is that Jon Stewart and Colbert are back on duty.

thehittgirl
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I wonder with less of in an home hypnotist AKA the TV, if people will start waking up.

Chase
01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Heh. I'm not a pro union guy. I don't, however, see any basis in a free society for excluding unions. In any case, I can't help but smile and yell "CALLED YOUR BLUFF!" on this one.

freedominnumbers
01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Unions are meant to keep people from slave conditions, not to dictate wage and benefit levels with government backing.

I've always felt that the responsible thing for a business to do in a time of strike is to fire all striking employees and offer to rehire anyone who leaves the union at their previous wage and replace anyone who doesn't come along.

DeadtoSin
01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
The unions now are just money grubbers. If there are serious workers rights cases going on, great! Let them get involved and make the businesses miserable. Its ridiculous to go up to visit my grandpa in Michigan and find out that the cashiers have a union that gets them $15+ an hour. You are a cashier not an artisan!

Those unions strong arm companies and try to make them go out of business to basically extort money.

acptulsa
01-15-2008, 01:22 PM
The unions did much to end the Robber Baron bad old days a hundred years ago. They have also done much to set back the labor movement with their featherbedding and their mob connections. They are, like most things, both good and bad.

As for the TV writers, I think they have legitimate beefs, and we shouldn't trash them. I also agree that, with TV getting lame, people might just take more care of their democracy without the national baby sitter to numb out to. Let's hope!

Falseflagop
01-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Now people can focus on REALITY on RON PAUL this might be a blessing!

Mortikhi
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I wonder with less of in an home hypnotist AKA the TV, if people will start waking up.
No.
There's always TNT to keep them entertained with reruns of what they've already seen.

and game shows.

Antonius Stone
01-15-2008, 01:29 PM
labor unions are allowed by the constitution.

exer51
01-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Unions have their place, especially if you have a government that keeps its nose out of regulating labor. However many unions have taken it too far. The United Auto Workers Union has destroyed the American auto industry with their stupidity/greed. Non union workers for Toyota in the US cost them 1/4 of what the big 3 pay... Is it any wonder they can't make cars that are the same quality for the money??? The UAW has cut their own throats since half+ their jobs have been lost in the last couple decades. It's really the rank and files fault for being so stupid and shortsighted. You don't squeeze the company you work for dry and expect to still have a job down the line.

UtahApocalypse
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Whatever I don't watch this shit to care :) main thing is that Jon Stewart and Colbert are back on duty.

I hear that they are even funnier than ever. Maybe the should never hire writers back again. They also would save money.

constituent
01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Unions have their place, especially if you have a government that keeps its nose out of regulating labor. However many unions have taken it too far. The United Auto Workers Union has destroyed the American auto industry with their stupidity/greed. Non union workers for Toyota in the US cost them 1/4 of what the big 3 pay... Is it any wonder they can't make cars that are the same quality for the money??? The UAW has cut their own throats since half+ their jobs have been lost in the last couple decades. It's really the rank and files fault for being so stupid and shortsighted. You don't squeeze the company you work for dry and expect to still have a job down the line.

blah blah blah.

the big three suck, they have sucked.

it's called "planned obsolescence"

GM, Ford and w/etf Chrysler is going by deserve whatever they've got coming......

and let's not even start on executive pay.

asgardshill
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Meh? What is this "TV" thing I keep hearing about? :confused: A friend once told me that it is a big electronic box that people actually sit and stare at for hours on end (or something weird like that). It supposedly involves something called a "remote" and potato chips as well, but my friend's explanation got too convoluted to follow from there.

I will say that it'll never catch on - what kind of idiot would want to sit in front of a big glass and plastic contraption doing nothing when they could be visiting their neighbors, working that second job to better their financial situation, playing with their kids, and doing charity work in their community?

Malakai0
01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I'll miss the writers of Battlestar Galactica and Heroes.

That's about it.

Young_Apprentice
01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
No problems with unions in any legal sense, but the problem with unions, like government, is that they're always looking for some way to grow. Once workers have safe environments to work in and all of that good stuff, then the unions start calling for higher salaries. Eventually, the guy who screws the gas cap onto the car is getting paid thirty dollars an hour as opposed to the ten per hour he deserves. At that point, the company is forced to outsource. So, the idea of unions=good, but most unions, like most do-gooders=bad.

Cigaboo
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Unions are trying to become a second form of government with yet another tax (union dues). Mandatory unionism is a scourge in this country. And just like government, they try to justify their existence for your own "safety".

traitorist
01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
[edit/forum guidelines]

McDermit
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
No.
There's always TNT to keep them entertained with reruns of what they've already seen.

and game shows.

Law and order FTW!

Young_Apprentice
01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Law and order FTW!

MAMA's FAMILY

asgardshill
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
[edit for quote and forum guidelines]

danberkeley
01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Unions are meant to keep people from slave conditions, not to dictate wage and benefit levels with government backing.

and being in a cubicle for 8 hours so that u can pay off a mortgage inst slavery??? all unions do nowadays is dictate wages and benefits WITH governement backing. why do u think many manufacturing jobs are moving overseas???

danberkeley
01-15-2008, 04:33 PM

+1

danberkeley
01-15-2008, 04:34 PM
blah blah blah.

the big three suck, they have sucked.

it's called "planned obsolescence"

GM, Ford and w/etf Chrysler is going by deserve whatever they've got coming......

and let's not even start on executive pay.

why is it that they suck????

angelatc
01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
and being in a cubicle for 8 hours so that u can pay off a mortgage inst slavery??? all unions do nowadays is dictate wages and benefits WITH governement backing. why do u think many manufacturing jobs are moving overseas???

I agree that the writer's union has a legitimate beef. They want a portion of the proceeds from future releases via new media outlets, like webcasts and digital transmissions. Right now writers get paid everytime somebody reairs content. A rerun of "Law & Order" gives the writer income every time TNT airs that sucker. The writers want that commission structure to apply to new media. I do not think they're wrong. Lots of bands got hosed out of millions because they failed to account for future CD sales, because CDs didn't exist when the contracts were written.

danberkeley
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree that the writer's union has a legitimate beef. They want a portion of the proceeds from future releases via new media outlets, like webcasts and digital transmissions. Right now writers get paid everytime somebody reairs content. A rerun of "Law & Order" gives the writer income every time TNT airs that sucker. The writers want that commission structure to apply to new media. I do not think they're wrong. Lots of bands got hosed out of millions because they failed to account for future CD sales, because CDs didn't exist when the contracts were written.

there's nothing wrong with a company negotiating with unions per se. the
problems comes when governement regulation prevents or forces the company to
act against its own interest and therefore forces the company to close because it
cant compete with its competition or it is forced to move overseas.