PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't anyone "proven" electronic voting is bad?

rrcamp
01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I know there have been demonstrations of how easy it is. Clearly, the average American (like with everything) is apathetic.

Specifically, I'm wondering why one hacker doesn't make Ronald McDonald win a primary, and leave no trace as to who/how/etc. The entire nation would be shocked into movement. Shocks are the only thing that galvanize our people into action.

Lastly, I'd just like to mention this idea is only for hypothetical discussion ;-)

theseus51
01-15-2008, 12:40 PM
They don't wanna take the chance of being arrested on federal charges to "prove a point"?

Nicketas
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM

rrcamp
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
They don't wanna take the chance of being arrested on federal charges to "prove a point"?

That's the obvious answer. We know, however, that there exists a subgroup of Americans who are willing to die for their country. Within this subgroup, there are no talented computer science professionals?

rrcamp
01-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Also, there exists many forum members here who believe that voter fraud is already taking place. This implies that there are already skilled computer professionals breaking the law. IF this is true, then we can assume these people are willing to risk it all for money. If this is a risk work taking for only money, than surely to some patriots it's a risk work taking for their country.

Again, this is all just ideas I want to bounce around to get some reactions and thoughts... namely why people can so easily believe that evil computer scientists would so readily do this, yet the white-hats would never touch it...

Kade
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
That's the obvious answer. We know, however, that there exists a subgroup of Americans who are willing to die for their country. Within this subgroup, there are no talented computer science professionals?

Egos. Best not to coax them into exposing themselves... know that there is such an effort and be content?

Should consider deleting this thread...belongs on Totse, cdc, or hacbloc...(and it already exists).

JT1
01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Because the people that control the machines are the ones that can manipulate the code and make the machines choose who they want to win.

Just listen to Clinotn Curtis' testimony about how Tom Feeney hired him to create vote rigging software...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzY2tnwExs
...to get a better idea of how it's done.

exer51
01-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Dude... It HAS been proven. I've heard of cases where voter fraud with Diebold machines was taken to court and the people who committed the fraud lost. I think it's more of an issue with a MSM blackout than anything else.

NerveShocker
01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I know there have been demonstrations of how easy it is. Clearly, the average American (like with everything) is apathetic.

Specifically, I'm wondering why one hacker doesn't make Ronald McDonald win a primary, and leave no trace as to who/how/etc. The entire nation would be shocked into movement. Shocks are the only thing that galvanize our people into action.

Lastly, I'd just like to mention this idea is only for hypothetical discussion ;-)

Haha.. I'll tell you why. Because it has nothing to do with hacking. What you do is program a memory card and it tells the machine how to count the ballots. This memory card is owned by the company and they put whatever they choose on it. It's not hacking its simply programming the card to do what you wish. No hacker could get his hands on these memory cards ;) You have a good theory/plan but that's not how it works :P The only people rigging elections will be employees of Diebold unfortunately ;(

Molly1
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Electronic voting should be outlawed in every state, since they don't seem to get the message any other way.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Because the people that control the machines are the ones that can manipulate the code and make the machines choose who they want to win.

Just listen to Clinotn Curtis' testimony about how Tom Feeney hired him to create vote rigging software...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzY2tnwExs
...to get a better idea of how it's done.

exactly

robert4rp08
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
It would be so easy to make electronic voting machines viable. Just make the damn things print 2 receipts after each vote is cast. One receipt for the voter. Another receipt for record (in case of a recount).