PDA

View Full Version : House Now Moves To Pass Resolution 888

Kade
01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
http://baltimorechronicle.com/2008/011508Leopold.shtml

Guys,

I know I piss a good many of you off, but there is a reason why I seem so contrarian. I really do believe, my own atheism aside, that moderate religious folk and non-believers should be united in maintaining a "secular" mind frame when approaching politics. I've argued this, from a historical perspective, and from a modern prospective... our own Rich religious history is a byproduct of freedom of religion and the promise of a government removed from established churches...

I made a thread about Congress passing H. Res 847, and many simply acknowledged it was a waste a time, but now a real law... the resolution was a revision of history, in writing, passed by our government. It "acknowledged" such things as "role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States..." and

Now, the House has introduced the H. Res 888 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr110-888)

With such wording as:

"Whereas political scientists have documented that the most frequently-cited source in the political period known as The Founding Era was the Bible" and "Whereas the United States Supreme Court has declared throughout the course of our Nation's history that the United States is 'a Christian country', 'a Christian nation', 'a Christian people', 'a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being' and that 'we cannot read into the Bill of Rights a philosophy of hostility to religion....'"

This resolution is closing the door even more... revising history, extreme populist resolutions with feel good emotional appeal, and utterly wasting time is not the desired congress we as citizens want, but usually endure, but to continue to allow a portal to the abuse and destruction of the Constitution and, in a sense, the country, by legislating an underhanded establishment of church is inexcusable.

Chris Hedges author of bestseller "American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America" is a Christian, and I hold a contrary position in his debates with Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, but his insight into what is happening to America right now is something all believers and non-believers of any rational sense should unite behind...

This is his take on this bill: http://www.alternet.org/story/73778/

"The Christian radicals have, as the Huckabee candidacy illustrates, broken free from the fetters of their corporate and neocon handlers. They have unleashed a frightening populism that, in the event of an economic meltdown or period of instability, could see the movement ride the wave of a massive right-wing backlash."

These bills and resolutions are piling up on top of each other... and they allow for loopholes in power. These people do not speak for your beliefs, you cannot allow them to continue this... I can mobilize my side very fast, if Ron Paul doesn't win, and his concerns with the government go uncontested, this country is in line for a triple whammy, economic collapse, Big Government takeover, and a theocracy.

""This resolution, which purports to promote 'education on America's history of religious faith,' is packed with the same American history lies found on the Christian nationalist websites, and in the books of pseudo-historians like David Barton," Rodda wrote on the Talk2Action web site. "It lists a total of seventy-five 'Whereas,' leading up to four resolves, the third of which is particularly disturbing—that the U.S. House of Representatives 'rejects, in the strongest possible terms, any effort to remove, obscure, or purposely omit such history from our Nation's public buildings and educational resources,' a travesty of the highest magnitude, considering that most of the 'history' this resolve aims to promote in our public buildings and schools IS NOT REAL!""

Kade
01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Some scary language from the previous resolution and the new resolution:

H.R. Res 847 passed:

" Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;
(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;
(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;
(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;
(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and
(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world."

Now: H. Res 888:

"Whereas in 1853 the United States Senate declared that the Founding Fathers `had no fear or jealousy of religion itself, nor did they wish to see us an irreligious people ... they did not intend to spread over all the public authorities and the whole public action of the nation the dead and revolting spectacle of atheistical apathy';"

" (1) affirms the rich spiritual and diverse religious history of our Nation's founding and subsequent history, including up to the current day;

(2) recognizes that the religious foundations of faith on which America was built are critical underpinnings of our Nation's most valuable institutions and form the inseparable foundation for America's representative processes, legal systems, and societal structures;

(3) rejects, in the strongest possible terms, any effort to remove, obscure, or purposely omit such history from our Nation's public buildings and educational resources; and

(4) expresses support for designation of a `American Religious History Week' every year for the appreciation of and education on America's history of religious faith."

Naraku
01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Do they actually carry any legal applications?

Kade
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Do they actually carry any legal applications?

Yes. The "resolved" part holds legal sway.

Note that almost immediately following my writing of this... Huckabee chimes in with the amending the Constitution bit..

I'm not making this stuff up.