PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time for Grassroots Leadership and direction - I nominate...

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I think it's really time for some direction and focus in our grassroots efforts. It seems when everyone focuses on something it becomes successful. Ie: November 5th - Teaparty - Blimp. There are a lot of great things floating around and that's great but if we had some leaders that were willing to step to the plate and direct people to maximize the grassroots efforts.

Maybe set daily/weekly goals for different things such as chip-ins for ads in the early primaries, super Tuesday and things of that nature. Getting precinct leaders - http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

I'd like to nominate people that I think everyone can trust such as Trevor Lyman, llepard if they have the time and Bryan (admin here). Anybody else want to pitch some names. These are the three I've seen that are capable of taking charge and grabbing the good ideas and making them work. There are a few others but I'd like your input.

Trevor already has the ability to contact those that were involved in the moneybombs, so that is a huge asset that could and should be utilized for ALL grassroots efforts.

Iowa and NH are past us. Michigan is today and we pretty much lost out on the fact Democrats don't get any delegates. We may be able to still do a few things with Nevada and SC if we can get organised. There are some chip-ins on the main page of the forum people could start promoting.

I know a lot of people just like doing their own thing and don't like to listen to so-called "leaders", but if you think about it...you already have been following the leaders to some extent...You were told to donate on November 5th and December 16th...and a lot of you listened.

Most people are followers and with the right leaders some great things can happen.

RPinSEAZ
01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I nominate..... Ron Paul.

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

That's the point of it all yep :D

ghemminger
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
thanks JT - fyi - this process has already begun on multiple fronts

kushaze
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I nominate.....

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/18760.jpg

WilliamC
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Nominate yourself. If you see a vacuum in leadership, step up and fill it.

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
thanks JT - fyi - this process has already begun on multiple fronts

Yes, I know, as I've been checking in here every now and again for quite some time. I'm sure "leaders" rub some people the wrong way.

The New England Patriots have some good players, but they have some good leaders leading the way.

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Nominate yourself. If you see a vacuum in leadership, step up and fill it.

That's the point, no one here knows me worth jackchit.

I don't have the ability to email the people who pledge for the moneybombs.

And please only post if you have some useful input because a giant Chebacca doesn't do any good.

kushaze
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM

And please only post if you have some useful input because a giant Chebacca doesn't do any good.

I can nominate whoever I want. I want the Ron Paul Chewbacca.

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I can nominate whoever I want. I want the Ron Paul Chewbacca.

And you wonder why Iowa, NH and most likely Michigan turn out the way they do. :rolleyes:

Ronin
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Can't we all agree that GOTV is most important?? Unless there is a huge change in MSM coverage, it's going to come down to us doing well in primaries.

herepamwas
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
To the OP: You have got to be kidding right? This is grassroots, if we have a committee to focus our efforts then we aren't grassroots anymore. I can see why this shit is pissing people off.

WilliamC
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Dude, I didn't post anything about a giant Chewbacca, and I can't help that someone else did either.

Don't worry so much about things out of your control, it will paralyze you. Just focus on the things you can do locally.

Have you signed up to be a precinct leader? That's about the best way to help.

kushaze
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
sorry

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Can't we all agree that GOTV is most important?? Unless there is a huge change in MSM coverage, it's going to come down to us doing well in primaries.

Yes, Get Out The Vote is the most important, But there is still a lot of stuff that can be done inbetween. Some leadership in GOTV would help as well.

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
To the OP: You have got to be kidding right? This is grassroots, if we have a committee to focus our efforts then we aren't grassroots anymore. I can see why this shit is pissing people off.

Trevor already has a huge email list that should be utilized. Don't you think? Or should everybody just start their own thing from the bottom with a hope and a prayer of getting Nov.5th Teaparty results?

Dude, I didn't post anything about a giant Chewbacca, and I can't help that someone else did either.

Don't worry so much about things out of your control, it will paralyze you. Just focus on the things you can do locally.

Have you signed up to be a precinct leader? That's about the best way to help.

The chewbacca wasn't directed at you obviously.

I'm not worried. People can do what they want whenever they want. The majority of everything in the grassroots is out of everyone's control.

I was obviously telling you how I felt about your post. Its a little to late to come up with a grassroots leader at this point. Chewbacca would do just as good a job as anyone else. Personally I don't think you are going to get that many of us to agree who should lead the grassroots. We are far too diverse a crowd to settle on one leader or any leader.

They come up with moneybombs in a short period of time. Ron Paul just opened an office in Nashville I believe...Isn't it too late to do that in your mind?

evandi
01-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I nominate whoever makes the most alternate accounts on this forum!

JT1
01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
You need to read what I'm really trying to say to understand it's not really a "LEADER" per se, but people to organize the important things that need to get done and get the information out to everyone.

Can't we utilize Trevor's email list in a much better manner?

Unless Chewbacca has a list I'm not familar with :D

JT1
01-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I nominate whoever makes the most alternate accounts on this forum!

:rolleyes:

fedup100
01-15-2008, 01:27 PM
These are my choices too.

"I'd like to nominate people that I think everyone can trust such as Trevor Lyman, llepard if they have the time and Bryan (admin here)."

Molly1
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
And you wonder why Iowa, NH and most likely Michigan turn out the way they do. :rolleyes:

I don't believe the Chewbacca was in charge during those events.

I think he looks very---wooly!

And, like he'll get the job done.

Mean, focused, and wooly--that's what we need.

BillyFromPhilly
01-15-2008, 01:32 PM

btw...I love that sig!

RPinSEAZ
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
btw...I love that sig!

Heh, me too. ;)

JT1
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't believe the Chewbacca was in charge during those events.

I think he looks very---wooly!

And, like he'll get the job done.

Mean, focused, and wooly--that's what we need.

If someone wants to get dressed up in a chewbacca costume and it is successful in getting people involved...by all means do it.

I just think we need those with the ability to organize, motivate, get people involved and contact those that have already taken part in other events, to take charge of things.

John Kerry just endorsed Obama and he has an email list estimated at 2-3 million.

Trevor may not have that many but each person that pledged probably has their own contact list. So as he relays info to them, they relay info to their contacts.

Even just emailing the list to become precinct leaders would be beneficial at this point.

Iwantchange
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
This is something that I have been trying to push to the forefront of the grassroots effort. We need to concentrate on one thing at a time and not several. You can do five things half assed or one thing really well. Obviously you need to strategically prioritize what is more important than the other, but we need to really start pushing the grassroots efforts forward. Right now as you said I think our number one goal is getting precinct leaders.

The other downfall is communication upon the entire grassroots efforts. We have 20 different websites where were getting information and it’s not being funneled IMO the way it should be. For example I belong to two different meetup groups and I get two different types of information. Unless your constantly watching these forums you have no idea what’s going on.

We need better communication and we need better direction!

amy31416
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
JT1, good and thoughtful post. I agree with you.

This leader should be someone who prioritizes the grassroots effort as to things like MLK, breaking things like the recount, verifies the new ideas like that ad on the boxer (still seems weird to use a person as a billboard, but I can see how it'd have impact), verifies things like the ronpaultoolbar or that ridiculous ronpaulrewards thing as being either scams, great small things we can do, or outright hostility to the campaign.

Bryan should definitely be involved. I would like to help in any way that I can. I'm relatively good at internet searches, generally not too reactionary (the night of the NH primaries being a major exception to this), and can call people and am pretty good at investigating.

Nobody here really knows me though either. There's only one person I know in real life. And I tend, IRL, to keep to myself.

But I'd lend what little talent I have in this arena to this cause.

JT1
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
JT1, good and thoughtful post. I agree with you.

This leader should be someone who prioritizes the grassroots effort as to things like MLK, breaking things like the recount, verifies the new ideas like that ad on the boxer (still seems weird to use a person as a billboard, but I can see how it'd have impact), verifies things like the ronpaultoolbar or that ridiculous ronpaulrewards thing as being either scams, great small things we can do, or outright hostility to the campaign.

Bryan should definitely be involved. I would like to help in any way that I can. I'm relatively good at internet searches, generally not too reactionary (the night of the NH primaries being a major exception to this), and can call people and am pretty good at investigating.

Nobody here really knows me though either. There's only one person I know in real life. And I tend, IRL, to keep to myself.

But I'd lend what little talent I have in this arena to this cause.

Thanks amy and yeah, everybody can offer up their talents and areas of expertise. Every little bit helps. ;)

amy31416
01-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks amy and yeah, everybody can offer up their talents and areas of expertise. Every little bit helps. ;)

Now all we have to do is find that savvy and trustworthy individual who can step forward.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that person.

JT1
01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah amy, I'm hoping those that currently have the power in the grassroots will step forward and make plans for these next early primaries and leading into Super Tuesday.

Now that Chewbacca brought us 4th in Michigan, do the rest of you think maybe some grassroots leadership, planning and organization is needed?

JT1
01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
So, how does NV and SC look in everyone's eyes?

Should we just go with what has already been happening?

JT1
01-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Is everyone happy with the status quo still?

Still think planning and organization is for "Losers"?

Still think using Digg and watching YouTube videos is going to win it all?

I'm hoping those that are well known and trusted in the grassroots are going to step up.

Another 4th or 5th in the next primaries could cause some sitting on the fence to part ways.

yongrel
01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
The "leaders" of the grassroots are the ones who didn't sit around and wait for someone else to lead them. They said "To hell with this" and did their own thing.

If you think we need a leader, step up and lead. Don't tell someone else that they need to.

JT1
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
The "leaders" of the grassroots are the ones who didn't sit around and wait for someone else to lead them. They said "To hell with this" and did their own thing.

If you think we need a leader, step up and lead. Don't tell someone else that they need to.

We already have leaders in place that have the ability to contact a large group of Ron Paul supporters and direct them.

In three weeks it'll pretty much all be over. Wouldn't it be smarter for someone that already has the trust of the majority to take the lead? or someone that no one knows?

acptulsa
01-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Hard to believe that we all believe in states' rights...

With Super Tuesday coming up soon, what we need is all the leaders we can get. This is grass roots, people, we are all trying to lead this nation. No, I don't believe that on Super Tuesday we'll find that one of us magically has the answer to all puzzles and fingers in every pie. With Super Tuesday coming up, we need decentralized leadership more than ever. Every state in this union is different, and we need to concentrate right now on our own back yards. In March I may well feel differently, but right now I trust us, and will continue to trust us unless and until I see infighting trying to knock us off track.

And no, considering the difficulty of getting heard when the MSM is trying to paint us as without hope, the general intertia of the average voter and the fact that we're trying to take the G.O.P. back for the people, I don't subscribe to the notion that we're doing badly. I'm stunned with our successes so far!

WilliamC
01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
We already have leaders in place that have the ability to contact a large group of Ron Paul supporters and direct them.

In three weeks it'll pretty much all be over. Wouldn't it be smarter for someone that already has the trust of the majority to take the lead? or someone that no one knows?

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way!"

I don't see complaining as one of the helpful choices there, do you?

Andrew76
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I think it's really time for some direction and focus in our grassroots efforts. It seems when everyone focuses on something it becomes successful. Ie: November 5th - Teaparty - Blimp. There are a lot of great things floating around and that's great but if we had some leaders that were willing to step to the plate and direct people to maximize the grassroots efforts.

Maybe set daily/weekly goals for different things such as chip-ins for ads in the early primaries, super Tuesday and things of that nature. Getting precinct leaders - http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

I'd like to nominate people that I think everyone can trust such as Trevor Lyman, llepard if they have the time and Bryan (admin here). Anybody else want to pitch some names. These are the three I've seen that are capable of taking charge and grabbing the good ideas and making them work. There are a few others but I'd like your input.

Trevor already has the ability to contact those that were involved in the moneybombs, so that is a huge asset that could and should be utilized for ALL grassroots efforts.

Iowa and NH are past us. Michigan is today and we pretty much lost out on the fact Democrats don't get any delegates. We may be able to still do a few things with Nevada and SC if we can get organised. There are some chip-ins on the main page of the forum people could start promoting.

I know a lot of people just like doing their own thing and don't like to listen to so-called "leaders", but if you think about it...you already have been following the leaders to some extent...You were told to donate on November 5th and December 16th...and a lot of you listened.

Most people are followers and with the right leaders some great things can happen.

I understand your frustration here, but this idea has been brought up many times, and has never panned out, rightly so in my opinion. While there is now an official grassroots correspondent from campaign HQ, there is not now, nor should there ever be a nominated, self or otherwise, "grassroots leader," or "leaders."

You can have meetups with leaders, precinct captains, etc., etc., but what exactly would be the role of a grassroots leader? How would he/she be elected? What if a large portion of Ron Paul supporters didn't approve of this measure? What will you do with the ensuing split of grass roots supporters? How will that help our cause? What if people don't want to do what the grassroots "leader" is telling them to do?

Look, the whole point of this campaign is this: you are as involved as you want to be. Looking to be a leader? Then be one. Start another meetup, or join one already formed. BECOME A PRECINCT CAPTAIN. Take out an ad in USA Today. Lawrence didn't wait for a go ahead from the "leadership" to do such a thing, he just did it! Ditto the blimp, Nov. 5th money bomb, Teaparty money bomb, etc., etc. None of these things required a leader because a leader is not needed. If you've got an idea, then go for it. If not, then hop on the forums and see what ideas are floating around that you can support.

How about this?: a meeting place of sorts where ideas can be discussed, projects started, volunteers organized, supporters motivated, money raised, news spread around, and overall support to be galvanized. It already exists, it's called, "www.RonPaulForums.com"

Count me out on the whole grassroots leadership idea. Again, I understand it, but you must think of the inevitable consequences, both intended and unintended. It's unnecessary. All we need is a meeting place, and brother, we're in it.