PDA

View Full Version : Do you want NJ to lose to the Ghoul?

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
If you live in or near NJ and are free Saturday or Sunday, even for just a few hours, please help canvas in NJ. P/M me if you are interested. We need help in both North and South Jersey, so where ever you are closest would be great! If you don't have a ride, and you live in Philly or NYC or somewhere close we'll try and get you one.

itshappening
01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
bump

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Come on stop jerking off to Ron Paul videos and canvas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I know there is someone here looking at Ron Paul videos with their fingers up their ass and hasn't seen the light of day in years... I'm talking to you, get out there and canvas!!!!

frasu
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I am good to go for union/morristown area... I will pm you for details

LionHeart87
01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't like the idea of knocking on people's doors and bothering them. I find the idea of canvassing repugnant. Sorry.

KewlRonduderules
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't like the idea of knocking on people's doors and bothering them. I find the idea of canvassing repugnant. Sorry.

All campaigns do this!!!

No need to start a conflict here. Thanks.

Hey I am Hamilton/Trenton. Anybody going to be around? If so, I have tons of flyers and some slim jims, you could use.

:)

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM

HAHA, How do you think Ron will win? Look at the towns in Iowa that won; what advice did they give? CANVAS!!!!!!!! If you actually went outside in the real world you would see barely anyone knows who he is. This is the only way Ron even has CHANCE of winning!

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
All campaigns do this!!!

No need to start a conflict here. Thanks.

Hey I am Hamilton/Trenton. Anybody going to be around? If so, I have tons of flyers and some slim jims, you could use.

:)

JDouglasFisher was actually talking about how he needed more supplies. He is over in Passaic though.

JDouglasFisher
01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
This is how I got some more folks in my meetup energized. Read this email...

Hello fellow patriots,

I know many people have expressed some level of interest in precinct captains for the Ron Paul campaign, but the way they "sell" the idea to us, makes it seem like a very daunting task indeed.

The 60 minutes worth of training videos that they ask you to sit through and watch merits combat pay in and of itself.

This, as well as some of the other language that they use in the videos makes one question whether or not they want to really be a precinct captain.

I HAVE GOOD NEWS...

This isn't as much of an insurmountable task as one might first think. Realize, what I describe below in 5 minutes time, (which took about 60 minutes on a video) is what they call "HARD CORE CAMPAIGNING".

First, lets define what a precinct is. A precinct is a zone of roughly about 500 or so voters in a small area of a town or municipality. In many cases, more than one voter will reside at the same address, AND, about 1/3 of the voters on the walking list are Democrats.

So after you remove the democrats, and then figure that about 10 percent of the remaining will have multiple voters in one household, figure on knocking on about 300 or so doors.

Already sounds better, Right?

Now, the campaign says you sign up at http://voters.ronpaul2008.com and fill in the blanks. On the next screen, it will say choose your precinct. It will auto detect to the best of its ability based on your mailing address what your precinct is. You may want to verify this fact by calling the town clerk, or the county board of public elections should you so desire, but from reports I have heard from other precinct captains, the website seems accurate.

Once registered, on the left side navigation bar, it will suggest you print the walking list (and the accompanying instruction sheet along with it, A MUST READ...) It will also suggest you watch the 60 plus minutes of gibberish on the campaign site about how to do this. My advice, skip the videos, they suck, and some of the information doesn't even pertain to New Jersey. If you really feel you must watch atleast one of them, then by all means, WATCH THE LAST ONE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. That one will give some insight in the actual "walking" part of the whole process.

After this, I would normally advise you to harass the campaign for literature to perform this task, but being that they are disorganized, and the store is backlogged for 4 weeks, wasting your time to call them at this point is useless. I don't have any clear cut answers on how you should go about getting campaign literature, but by any means necessary, beg, borrow, barter, purchase from ebay, whatever.

If you go to the "Files" section of this meetup, you'll see the "Ron Paul Issues Flier" in PDF format that Loretta put there. Download it, print 1 copy, (both sides) and then go to Staples, Office Depot, or the public library in most towns, and copy away if all else fails.

Something is better than nothing,

STEP 1: The Lit Drop. The campaign suggests that you should just go to the addresses of these people and place literature in their mailboxes. This phase of the walk is "non-confrontational" according to their plans, as the result is to canvass the list as quickly as possible. The problems I have with this are:

A.) Placing ANYTHING in someone's mailbox can lead to a Federal Offense charge.
B.) Recipients of our literature may become angry that we violated their mailbox. (and thus leaving a sour taste in their mouths about Ron Paul)
C.) The "non-confrontational" manner at which they advise us to do this in, leaves a "cold" impression on fellow voters.

What has worked for me is this. I dress somewhat professionally, making sure to wear SOMETHING that identifies me as a Ron Paul supporter. First impressions mean everything, dressing like a slob does not help our cause on this one. So I strongly urge you leave the gothic, skater, hip-hop, hill-billy code of dress at home, and wear some nice slacks, a button down shirt or blouse, a CLEAN jacket (cause its winter) and hats are "OK" as long as its not something confrontational like a POT LEAF, the BUDWEISER LOGO, ETC... You get the point.

Long Hair and Facial Hair is OK as long as its clean and groomed well. Remember, when we knock on these peoples doors, WE are representing Ron Paul, we need to look the part.

When I go to knock on someone's door, I introduce myself professionally as well. "Hi, my name is Joseph Fisher, and I am from the Passaic County Republicans for Ron Paul. I'd just like to drop of some free Ron Paul campaign literature for (so and so named voters), and to just remind you that our Republican Primary is February 5th this year".

Thats all you need to do. IF no one is home, try to place the Lit in the door, or in the worse case scenario, take some scotch tape with you, and tape it to the glass of the door. AVOID THE MAILBOX....

STEP 2: The Reveal. Just like "The Ghost Hunters", we need to return and "Reveal" who the hardcore Ron Paul voter is, who might be leaning towards Ron Paul, and who DEFINITELY IS NOT going to vote for Ron Paul.

This is crucial because we need to eliminate the "wheat from the chaff" so to speak. Those who are without a doubt, GOING TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL, we need to get contact information for them. This will play an important part during the election day.

Those who are "leaning towards Paul" but not sure, again, see if you can identify that voters key issue, and hand them some literature geared towards that issue. (this is why we need to have some different materials on hand during the STEP 2 process). If that person asks a question you don't have the answer too, get their phone number and address, and tell them that you will have someone from the campaign contact them who is more versed on the specific issue (or any one of us in the meetup can do the same thing)

In the above two cases, you need to get contact information, including phone numbers, this is vital for the Get Out the Vote effort.

Those who just outright refuse to vote for Ron Paul, thank them for their time, and move on. Mark them on the list somehow as a NON-PAUL supporter. Contact info for them is not required.

When you come home from the Step-2 process, log onto the website, on the left hand side is says "Record Feedback and Notes". Click that, and based on all the record keeping you have for your second walk, update the information on the website. This will include verifying the phone number, updating that persons issues, updating whether they will vote for Paul, Undecided Yet, or who they plan on voting for, etc. Take a look at the page BEFORE returning for step 2 to get an idea of what information your trying to get.

Now at this point, the campaign "should" be trying to target those undecideds for you, (by way of mailers, emails, etc.) but you may even do a follow up 3rd visit to the undecideds a few days before the primary to see if they may have changed their minds.

After all this, I believe (I will verify) that the campaign will ultimately provide the precinct captain with an updated PDF strictly of Ron Paul Voters. It will be our job on Election day to be at the polling place, and verify that all of our identified supporters turn out.

Now, how this works is that the poll workers are supposed to announce names loud enough to hear who came in to vote. Those who are on your list that came to vote, you cross off.

I'd figure by about 5 pm,. those on the list who haven't yet appeared, you should start calling. This is where some of your other meetup members in the same municipality should come into play. Ideally, they would make the calls, offer rides, watch the kids for 10 minutes, etc. but if you have no help, the least you can do is make the phone calls, and politely pressure them to come out and vote.

Votes is where it all comes down too. Remember, voter turnout in the primaries is outright horrible in New Jersey, and none of these other candidates have people on the ground working the precincts.

Although I am not expecting a first place finish, second or third in NJ is more than acceptable, and a respectable showing in NJ would help our efforts later on down the road for Murray Sabrin's campaign, as well as the Delegates Nomination on June 3rd.

Thats all there is....

But here is some benefits of precinct walking:

1.) People will begin to recognize you because "your the guy who always walks the precinct". This is advantageous because people tend to become more confident in whoever your campaigning for BECAUSE they see you all the time. THIS, is a plus for future actions...

2.) In New Jersey, this is even more advantageous because as we become consistently recognized, this will help in our own personal efforts when we start taking county committee seats. The fact remains that although some committee people may voluntarily surrender their seat to you, others will make you work for it by running against them. In these situations, you already have the head start because your voters in your precinct will have readily recognized you by name and face, they'll know what values you hold dear in your heart, and they will be convinced your serious about the position.

I think I covered all the bases at this point, and I am hoping that more of you will register yourselves to become precinct captains. Its not as hard as it first appears, and we can really make a difference in the outcome of future elections...

TO LIBERTY!

J. Douglas Fisher, Organizer
Ron Paul Revolutionaries of Passaic County #1251

JDouglasFisher
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
as for materials, I have yet to recieve anything from the campaign.

As far as I am concerned, they are completely USELESS...

Thanks goes out to the few who went up to New Hampshire and stole some of their materials that they still had lying around AFTER their primary. If it wasn't for this effort, we would really look like a bunch of horses asses.

JDF

Geronimo
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Bump