PDA

View Full Version : Reach 30,000 rural Minnesota voters for $640.

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
EDIT: The first and second drafts of the ad are posted in this thread (at #63 and #77, respectively). Click here to see the ad as it was sent to the publisher. (http://www.kovaciny.com/rp/ad_draft_2.jpg)

EDIT: Download and customize this ad for your publication (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=93204)

EDIT, January 25: Click here to see the ad on The Land's web site (http://streaming.cnhi.zope.net/mankato/landads/htdocs/) (select Ron Paul for President in left column)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChipIn Here (http://ronpaulgateway.chipin.com/reach-30000-in-mn)

The Land (http://www.thelandonline.com/) is a rural life newsmagazine in Minnesota with circulation of over 33,000.

This will most likely be money well spent because many of these people live in precincts not easily canvassed, and their caucus meetings will be poorly attended so every vote is more valuable. Internet access is less likely, as well. Rural supporters are IMPORTANT for these reasons.

A half page vertical will cost about $315 and a half page horizontal will cost about $270. A full page would cost $640.

The January 25th issue will is distributed to 15,000 people in the southern half of the state. The deadline is Friday, January 18. The northern half of the state (18,000 people) is due January 25.

I can get the materials in if people will get some money in. It is also possible to insert pamphlets, specific if desired, to each county. This will cost a few cents per unit.

This can be EASILY done!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
I got an official quote from The Land. The previous amount was a somewhat-boggled estimate due to a misunderstanding of exactly what a column-inch was and was only for the southern Minnesota edition. The final price is $850 for a full color half-page ad to 33,000 people, or about 2½¢ per subscriber. This is more in line with what I'd expect for a publication of this size and is still a very cheap way to reach these difficult-to-reach voters. I will be covering the designer's fees.

Brian Bailey
01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
I hope this helps: http://www.paulunteer.com/projects/reach-30000-rural-minnesota-voters-for-640/

WilliamC
01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Here in Senatobia, Mississippi my local paper will run a full page ad for $840. That would reach ~16,000. I'm thinking of this but my wife is already very angry with me for spending so much on Ron Paul. My only excuse is that I've done most everything to date out of my cash flow. This would have to come out of savings and that would make it 840 times worse.

But local newspapers are a very good way to reach voters who would otherwise never get the message. So is talk radio, and it's free. Call in to your local talk radio shows as much as you can.

itshappening
01-15-2008, 10:42 AM
good luck with your efforts!!

Badger Paul
01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Bump!

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
I wish I would have donated to these things and not the official campaign

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I hope this helps: http://www.paulunteer.com/projects/reach-30000-rural-minnesota-voters-for-640/

Thanks!

itshappening
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
bump!

no love for Minnesota! :(

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 03:11 PM
$105 so far.

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I will mail a physical copy of the ad to any donors ($10+) that request it, or I can just email you a photo of it.

Remember:

Thirty
Thousand
People

mokkan88
01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Make sure there's something in the ad about hemp farming. (NOT the war on drugs, but hemp farming.)

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Any other suggestions for ad content?

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Help win rural precincts in Minnesota!

alexa doherty
01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Minneapolis was voted most intelligent city in the u.s.

ChipIn Here (http://ronpaulgateway.chipin.com/reach-30000-in-mn)

The Land (http://www.thelandonline.com/) is a rural life newsmagazine in Minnesota with circulation of over 33,000.

This will most likely be money well spent because many of these people live in precincts not easily canvassed, and their caucus meetings will be poorly attended so every vote is more valuable. Internet access is less likely, as well. Rural supporters are IMPORTANT for these reasons.

A half page vertical will cost about $315 and a half page horizontal will cost about $270. A full page would cost $640.

The January 25th issue will is distributed to 15,000 people in the southern half of the state. The deadline is Friday, January 18. The northern half of the state (18,000 people) is due January 25.

I can get the materials in if people will get some money in. It is also possible to insert pamphlets, specific if desired, to each county. This will cost a few cents per unit.

This can be EASILY done!

Mahkato
01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Minneapolis was voted most intelligent city in the u.s.

How exactly does a city get voted most intelligent?

mikeInAZ
01-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Any other suggestions for ad content?

Well I looked at The Land Online and all the ads are for grain, feed, tractors, farm equipment etc.

So I would definitely use the picture of Ron on his tractor.

http://www.buchanan.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/ronpaul-tractor.jpg

alexa doherty
01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
How exactly does a city get voted most intelligent?

I don't remember the factos they used but it was most college graduates, phds, etc etc etc.

It makes sense imo, a lot of scandinavian-americans live their.

TruePatriot44
01-15-2008, 09:36 PM
They also weighed in on the number of bookstores, libraries, performing art centers...ect.

TwiLeXia
01-15-2008, 09:59 PM
blimp!!!

TwiLeXia
01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Chipped in 10 dollars!

Xyrus2
01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
If I knew how my taxes were going to turn out this year, I'd be spending alot more on these efforts. >:(

As it is, I have to be conservative as I could be in for a shock.

~X~

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Bump!

me3
01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Any ad samples? What are the ads targeting?

Thanks in advance.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Any ad samples? What are the ads targeting?

I'll go in for $20 if I like the ad and feel it's on target.

itshappening
01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
that picture would rule!

jahazii
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
http://scaryknife.com/images/ronpaul/rp-points.jpg

Use that ad I will put money

BUMP

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Use that ad I will put money

BUMP

And be sure that any ad contains at least the official campaign url, possibly others, with a call to action. (Visit www.RonPaul2008.com for more information.)

ike
01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
bump

MN Patriot
01-16-2008, 11:48 AM
I just had to chip in $50.
Use the picture of Ron on the tractor!
If you can, please post the ad.

ike
01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
And be sure that any ad contains at least the official campaign url, possibly others, with a call to action. (Visit www.RonPaul2008.com for more information.)

QFT

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Can someone find me a high-res version of Ron on the tractor?

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, I called Minnesota and National HQ and neither of them could help me find a high-res image, so I suppose I'll steal them from the For Family Farms PDF and keep them relatively small.

Are there any professional designers who could help me put this together quickly? I'm working on the text and general layout right now. I know someone who used to do layout for a newspaper, but I don't have confirmation yet that he can do it.

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a designer for this now. He was nice enough to give this to me for just $40/hr. He's very good at newspaper design so I'm eager to see the result. I'm sending him Larry Llepard's USA Today ad for inspiration, but the farm images aren't going to fit with that theme very well so we'll come up with something different. The images in the Slim Jims seem to be good enough to use.

I'm taking the rest of the day off to put this together.

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I got an official quote from The Land. The previous amount was a somewhat-boggled estimate due to a misunderstanding of exactly what a column-inch was and was only for the southern Minnesota edition. The final price is $850 for a full color half-page ad to 33,000 people, or about 2½¢ per subscriber. This is more in line with what I'd expect for a publication of this size and is still a very cheap way to reach these difficult-to-reach voters. I will be covering the designer's fees.

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Here is the text of the ad (http://www.kovaciny.com/rp/ad_text_for_The_Land.pdf) (.PDF) as I sent it to the designer.

We have 5½" x 10 ⅜" of space to work with. The "Ron on a tractor" image will be used for sure. The other two (one of RP as a boy on his family's farm and one of a barn with an RP sign on it) will be put in if space allows. I also included some instructions on what text the designer could drop if space was a problem.

If there are any changes let me know. I think I included everyone's suggestions.

TruePatriot44
01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I donated the last $550.00 :D

We are good to go!

Aproz
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM

We are good to go!

You sir are a True Patriot! I'm from MN and your act is very much appreciated from us fellow MN Ron Paul supporters.

itshappening
01-16-2008, 08:47 PM
this is great to see local folks supporting this project!!

itshappening
01-16-2008, 08:51 PM
PS. make sure you have the right phone number, can anyone check that?

jake
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM

We are good to go!

Nice Job. When Ron Paul is elected it will be due to generous donations for small grassroots projects such as this! :)

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
excuse me but as a Minnesotan i don't think this is a great way to spend resources. You know what we need in Minnesota is a plan, a strategy and an organization to win the caucuses. Please Minnesotans spend your time organizing for the caucuses.

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Also this smells like a possible scam.

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Buyer beware

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I Want to put an ad in the Costa Rica times where I live. Please send money to www.thanks for being a sucker.com.
I promise that you ill get a real sucker in the mail after receiving your donation.
As a Minnesotan I can tell you that what we need is people knocking on doors and getting them to the caucus. That is it. There is no primary requiring ads. Good luck and hope you are not getting takin to the cleaners.

TruePatriot44
01-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Buyer beware

I did a domain registration whois on Jonathan's website and it goes to his home address in Mankato. Please stop with your negativity. We are doing what we can to spread the message of liberty and peace, don't attack us for spreading it.

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Fine but the idiots in Minnesota where I am from do not know how to caucus. Minnesota is the easiest state to caucus and win But they are not organized and have no idea of strategy. Hey send money there if you want. It sure sounds good but we will not get delegates because they dont know how to caucus. Lets just wait and see after Feb 5. If you send cash to these people in my opinion they are taking you to a bath., give them what they ask if y0u want I don't care.

itshappening
01-16-2008, 09:15 PM
this is an informative ad for rural folks and can reach thousands

you really have to understand that these ads help alot

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey have fun with it. My point is that fuck the money but spend the time getting people to the caucus. If you folks would rather suck up Cash from people outside of Minnesota claiming that you can get support with a donation then fine go for it. But If I were not from Minnesota I would be very wary. I'm from Minnesota and do not condone sucking cash from the unwary.

teshuah
01-16-2008, 09:24 PM
i can't get the pdf to open, but is there any mention about the caucus?

the fargo-moorhead group just put in a color ad and they had the caucus locations on it. i know you can't put that on there b/c there are too many precincts, but at least mention the importance of caucusing

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:30 PM
scam put your money in now before the price of gold goes up.

jake
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Buyer beware

troll alert. just stop posting.

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
rodo1776, the cost of this, aside from my time, is about two and a half cents per reader. You'd be hard pressed to find a more efficient way of reaching people this many people.

This is 33,000 people in rural Minnesota. It's not like you can go door to door and chat with each one of them.

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey itshappening. I'm totally rural send me $1,000 i assure you will that your money will reach many rural people. Can I send you my bank account so i can be assured that your deposit ends up in my account?

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Get delegates at the caucuses. Fuck these ads. there is no time for the ads to even have an effect. this is a scam. But if anyone wants to join in fine waste your money

fmontez
01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Great idea, send me a private e-mail. Also, I am looking for a 2x2 ad, been running my own newspaper ads, but want to move up to something more professional.

libertythor
01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Set up a chipin.

Here in Senatobia, Mississippi my local paper will run a full page ad for $840. That would reach ~16,000. I'm thinking of this but my wife is already very angry with me for spending so much on Ron Paul. My only excuse is that I've done most everything to date out of my cash flow. This would have to come out of savings and that would make it 840 times worse.

But local newspapers are a very good way to reach voters who would otherwise never get the message. So is talk radio, and it's free. Call in to your local talk radio shows as much as you can.

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Get delegates at the caucuses. Fuck these ads. there is no time for the ads to even have an effect. this is a scam. But if anyone wants to join in fine waste your money

I will post a link to the ad image when it is finished on Friday. Next week, when the ad is published, it will be available at thelandonline.com/thisweeksads (http://www.thelandonline.com/thisweeksads).

I do agree with you though, rodo, that we must all be wary of scams. Con artists prey on people who have an emotional attachment to something, and we all have plenty of emotional investment in a Ron Paul presidency.

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Jake check out my posts. I'm a troll? Think not dude after you see my posts. Everything I have done has started from a Minnesota perspective. I love Ron Paul. I am extremely upset about my former home Minnesota. Minnesotans if you are working with the Nataniel people then it is over. Hawaii will rock
We will win a state and it wont be Minnesota because you are an idio jake. We will talk soon piss ant.

Mahkato
01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
i can't get the pdf to open, but is there any mention about the caucus?

the fargo-moorhead group just put in a color ad and they had the caucus locations on it. i know you can't put that on there b/c there are too many precincts, but at least mention the importance of caucusing

Yes, there is information on the caucus. Since this is going statewide, we can't put individual precinct information in it. The call to action is as follows:

To learn more, visit RonPaul2008.com or call (877) RON-PAUL.
Minnesota caucuses are held Tuesday, February 5, at 7 p.m. Visit mngop.com/pf to find your caucus location.

raeason
01-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, there is information on the caucus. Since this is going statewide, we can't put individual precinct information in it. The call to action is as follows:

To learn more, visit RonPaul2008.com or call (877) RON-PAUL.
Minnesota caucuses are held Tuesday, February 5, at 7 p.m. Visit mngop.com/pf to find your caucus location.
I suspect also you'll be getting a lot of emails yourself (as this is shown in the disclaimer after that information). It should go without saying, though I'll say it anyway- after this ad is run, treat your spam folder like a newborn baby.

rodo1776
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
god luck minnesota .

MN Patriot
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Fine but the idiots in Minnesota where I am from do not know how to caucus. Minnesota is the easiest state to caucus and win But they are not organized and have no idea of strategy. Hey send money there if you want. It sure sounds good but we will not get delegates because they dont know how to caucus. Lets just wait and see after Feb 5. If you send cash to these people in my opinion they are taking you to a bath., give them what they ask if y0u want I don't care.

I have to agree, at least about libertarians in general. They know all about John Galt, economics, history, etc etc.

But when it comes to actually DOING something they act like welfare addicts and expect someone else to do the dirty work. I've seen it time and again. A few people do all the work, then some of the do-nothings act like they have all the answers.

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 10:56 AM
EDIT: A newer draft is posted below, at #77.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the designer's draft of the ad.

The final printed size is about 5½" x 10½" (half page). This is not very much room so he wasn't able to get in a lot of the text I had wanted without overcrowding it. It's better to get a short message across effectively than a long message ineffectively. For comparison, a standard RP slim jim is 3⅔" x 8½", which means that this ad is about 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer.

Any changes for what the bullet points should read? We can swap out these bullet points with others if desired. Below the ad image I'm listing some other possibilities. Personally, I like it as is. It's not as farmer-targeted as I was originally shooting for, but perhaps the image takes care of those thousand words.

http://www.kovaciny.com/rp/ad_draft.jpg

Other text options:

A Ron Paul presidency will ...

Support free trade to all nations, meaning more markets for your products.
Seek the permanent repeal of the inheritance tax, letting you pass your family farm to your children intact.
Oppose attempts by the federal government to take your land away under eminent domain claims.
Seek to end taxes on children who sell livestock raised as part of 4-H and Future Farmers of America.
Protect your right to seek legal recourse against large-scale corporate entities that damage your property value.
Support the legalization of hemp farming in the United States
Stop NAIS and other bureaucratic schemes which hurt small farms.

Ron Paul has voted against ...

hundreds of bills which increase the size and power of the federal government and ignore the Constitution
federal restrictions on gun ownership
regulations on parents and students who wish to home school
bills which grant amnesty and free taxpayer-paid services to illegal immigrants
the undeclared war against Iraq and other countries which is creating new terrorists daily and is bankrupting our nation
the “Patriot” Act, which treats everyone as guilty until proven innocent

whiskersoil
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey Jonathan this is kyle from meetup 55... it looks good. it is too bad we cannot fit in the farming information. It is a fairly generic ad, and maybe that is what is needed to reach people who do not know him well. However, i think what separates Paul from the other candidates is the fact that he actually has a platform. . Is there any way to condense the spacing of the facts already listed? Perhaps at the bottom in smaller text we could ad the a "Ron Paul presidency will..." section. I think it is important to be specific to the people we are reaching.

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Maybe leave out point #2 or #3, and #6 to make a little room?

whiskersoil
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I say get rid of #2 as it is similar and specific to #3..... also perhaps we can combine #6 with #4.. like In the past, Dr. Paul served our nation as an Airforce flight surgeon. Now he has received more donations from active duty military personnel than any other candidate.

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Good ideas, kyle. Having another section in smaller text might not work very well visually, but I'll see.

Is "Ron Paul – a principled, honest man of integrity ..." the best opening line? What about "Ron Paul is not your typical presidential candidate ..." or something shorter?

Should "Caucuses" be capitalized at the bottom?

ike
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree, I think the ad should say more about what RP will do as president.

Congrats on getting this funded.

Crickett
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Make the entire headline smaller and put in MORE points..the ones about farming and homeschooling and the constitution. Who cares about RP's background..needs emotional sentences about what he will do for THEM now! Your designer is good, but is NOT an adman.

Energy
01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I saw at least take out the pension/junket bit. I think some people just gloss over that tidbit. Focus on issues that people really care about... "What's in it for them?"

Depending on the demographic, maybe stress that he's the only one who will swiftly bring the troops home, "Voted AGAINST the Iraq War in 2002, Voted FOR going after those responsible for 9/11," who will minimize government and maximize freedom.

jahazii
01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
I saw at least take out the pension/junket bit. I think some people just gloss over that tidbit. Focus on issues that people really care about... "What's in it for them?"

Depending on the demographic, maybe stress that he's the only one who will swiftly bring the troops home, "Voted AGAINST the Iraq War in 2002, Voted FOR going after those responsible for 9/11," who will minimize government and maximize freedom.

yes

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Should I leave out the part about "married for 50 years w/ 5 children, etc."?

fmontez
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM
IT looks great.. we are willing to help out with it...

jahazii
01-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Should I leave out the part about "married for 50 years w/ 5 children, etc."?

Its a good point but it should be in a bottom corner maybe showing his personal side. Thier needs to be bullets showing whats wrong with this country, and what a RP presidency will bring about.

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
I think we have to stay away from issues that require a detailed explanation, such as the Iraq war and abolishing the IRS/Fed, etc. This is rural Minnesota, so traditional Republican values like small government, low taxes, and respect for the Constitution are the key elements we need to communicate.

I'm working on condensing the text and returning it to the designer. The farming points will be included. The top logo is being shrunk a bit to allow for more space.

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Is "Ron Paul – a principled, honest man of integrity ..." the best opening line?

What about "Ron Paul is not your typical presidential candidate ..." or "Ron Paul, a true Republican ..."

Any other ideas?

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Here's the second draft.

I think it's pressworthy now.

http://www.kovaciny.com/rp/ad_draft_2.jpg

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Any changes need to be brought to my attention pronto ... This has to go to the publisher Friday morning.

luaPnoR
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I think it looks great! It's funny how someone thought you were a scam. Ha ha! Not that it means anything to you all but he's not a scam... he's my husband, I'll vouch for him! Lol. Thank you to ALL who helped make this ad possible. I can't wait to see it published!! Great job people!

~Raelene

Mahkato
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Bump.

Trigonx
01-17-2008, 04:59 PM
looks good

PimpBlimp
01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks awesome, you are a true patriot sir.

itshappening
01-17-2008, 05:06 PM
it looks great Jon, run it!

Mahkato
01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Last call for changes. Sending this to the publisher in about 20 minutes.

JimInNY
01-18-2008, 08:37 AM

We are good to go!

Far out! Nice job man! Thanks!

JimInNY
01-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I think it looks great! It's funny how someone thought you were a scam. Ha ha! Not that it means anything to you all but he's not a scam... he's my husband, I'll vouch for him! Lol. Thank you to ALL who helped make this ad possible. I can't wait to see it published!! Great job people!

~Raelene

You'll vouch for THIS guy? Now we have to suspect your sanity as well as his integrity? hehehe

Nice job folks, and great ad!

Mahkato
01-18-2008, 12:34 PM
You can now download and customize this ad for use in other publications (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=93204)!

Mahkato
01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
As promised, here's a link to the ad on the publisher's web site:

Click here (http://streaming.cnhi.zope.net/mankato/landads/htdocs/) (select Ron Paul for President in left column)