View Full Version : Electoral Quirks Are Poser in Nominating Process

Bradley in DC
01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
http://www.nysun.com/article/69414

Electoral Quirks Are Poser in Nominating Process

By RUSSELL BERMAN
Staff Reporter of the Sun
January 14, 2008
WASHINGTON — For the Republican Party, the Iowa caucus determined nothing. And when Democratic voters head to the polls in Florida later this month, they will bear the same electoral weight: zero...

asgardshill
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
This touches on something I'm having a great deal of trouble understanding about Florida. Why are all the candidates expending so much time and money in Florida when their delegations to the respective national conventions are going to be toothless and gagged (per the DNC and RNC)? Haven't both Florida delegations been made persona non grata at the conventions because they tried to move their primaries up?

(If they are merely doing spadework for the general election, that's understandable).

Goldwater Conservative
01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
This touches on something I'm having a great deal of trouble understanding about Florida. Why are all the candidates expending so much time and money in Florida when their delegations to the respective national conventions are going to be toothless and gagged (per the DNC and RNC)? Haven't both Florida delegations been made persona non grata at the conventions because they tried to move their primaries up?

(If they are merely doing spadework for the general election, that's understandable).

Both sides claim that they WILL have all their delegates seated at the convention. Prepare for some fireworks.

Considering that the Republicans only stripped half, I can see them capitulating, but the Democrats stripped them all. You'd think once somebody had secured the nomination they wouldn't care anymore, but the Dems are weird like that and I bet they'll still make a scene over it.

Anyway, winning Florida not only still gets the GOP candidates a nice chunk of delegates, but it gives both sides major bragging rights and media coverage heading into Super Tuesday. In some ways, Florida is a microcosm of the country and its primary is a mini-national one.