PDA

View Full Version : Poker game draws SWAT team, 13 yo confiscated by state

XNavyNuke
01-15-2008, 09:20 AM
ANOTHER DUMB POKER RAID (http://www.freemarketnews.com/Linked-Commentary.asp?nid=9201)

Police in San Mateo County, California apparently first spent months investigating the small-stakes poker game. From this firsthand account, it looks like a couple of the officers were playing regularly for several weeks before sending in the SWAT team, guns drawn, last week.

Police also took a 13-year-old girl out of the home, away from her parents, and turned her over to child protective services.

XNN

Iowa4Paul
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
What the fuck

tommyzDad
01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
OH FFS! :mad:
Meanwhile violent criminals runs amok. To hell with rape, murder, etc. go after poker players.

And why do they always resort to using SWAT?

SWAT officers invade home, take 11-year-old at gunpoint (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59566)
(The father, a former medic in Viet-Nam, had made the determination that his son did not require a hospital or EMTs. The government did not agree....)

MrCobaltBlue
01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
OH FFS! :mad:
Meanwhile violent criminals runs amok. To hell with rape, murder, etc. go after poker players.

They figure Old Huck will just let the rapists and murderers out anyway, so they find someone they can keep in Jail.

tommyzDad
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
They figure Old Huck will just let the rapists and murderers out anyway, so they find someone they can keep in Jail.

LOL. Anything to make a buck, keep a job, stay in power, whatever eh. LOL OH man....

Smiley Gladhands
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
And why do they always resort to using SWAT?

The poker players were probably self-described 'constitutionalists'. :rolleyes:

Wendi
01-15-2008, 03:22 PM
If the officers were playing with them for several weeks, why did they feel the need to send in a SWAT team? Never mind... same story, different location. That's what the pigs always do :rolleyes:

RPFP
01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
They have to always take the swat team because they cant ever be out gunned. No one can ever out gun the swat. They have tactical vests, night vision, flash bangs, mp5, APC, scorpion choppers, and are trained in full fleg paramilitary tactics to quell any and I mean ANY form of civil disobedience. Even a game of cards. NO we dont live in a police state, everything is fine and dandy. The politicians and police love us and want to protect us. Mean while the chief, district attorney, judge, and mayor are all playing their own high stakes game in the back of the courthouse every sat night. YA we are all safe, nothing to worry about, we are fine, nothing to worry about.

XNavyNuke
01-17-2008, 09:26 AM
County authorities defend poker bust (http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_7996181)

A raid on a poker operation in the San Mateo Highlands has the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office battling accusations that it overplayed its hand.
Participants in the game argue it was a friendly, low-stakes affair — not the den of iniquity portrayed by authorities. After a three-month undercover investigation, 15 officers from the Sheriff's Office and the state Department of Justice poured into the house Saturday afternoon with guns drawn.

They arrested organizer Bert Cardenas on charges of fraud and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and participant Trish McCoy on charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The minor was McCoy's 13-year-old son, who allegedly participated in some of the games.

The raid shocked some participants, who argued it was overkill for a social game with buy-ins of $25 to $55. News has since spread to Web sites such as Reason.com and Boing Boing, where it has sparked criticism and discussion about the laws surrounding home poker games.

XNN

dougkeenan
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I feel safer already.

tommyzDad
01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I feel safer already.

No shit.
Look here's one of the poker playes here:
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/492/943911bb1e48ny9.jpg

asgardshill
01-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I'll have to remember this the next time I can't get that inside straight or another player has the hot hand and is killing me at the table. Since we always settle up at the end of the game, my course is clear - bow out of a hand, go to the potty, make that phone call to my friend at the PD, then climb out the window and book.

danberkeley
01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
what r u guys complaining about??? SWAT defends our right to SAFERismdom... are they going to R.I.C.O. the house??? u know Giuliani would

dougkeenan
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Anyone recall the beginning of "Brazil?"

All those dangerous card-players need to be bagged and hooked!

Nicketas
01-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Nicketas
01-18-2008, 07:18 PM

lbadragan
01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Raid was paid for by you and me. :)

I feel so safe. It's about time we got some protection from the poker cartels.

Greenskin
01-22-2008, 11:15 PM
What the fuck?

The police HONESTLY have nothing better to do than this?

Expatriate
01-23-2008, 01:53 AM
WTF ARGH FASCISM must be stopped! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm not putting up with this any longer, I'm gonna move back to the States and help Ron Paul with the campaign... WE HAVE TO WIN!!!!

Expatriate
01-23-2008, 01:59 AM
"The sheriff said the decision to use SWAT team force was justified because the father was a "self-proclaimed constitutionalist" and had made threats and "comments" over the years."

Now being a "self proclaimed constitutionalist" justifies using a SWAT team? Oh Crap. Everybody on this forum is in major trouble.

billyjoeallen
01-23-2008, 02:01 AM
scum. badge-wearing scum.

Fields
01-23-2008, 04:37 AM
This is just sad. Really f*ing sad.