PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Vet letter for California canvassing

SgtBulldog
01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I've drafted a letter to use to target California voters. If anyone would like a copy of the PDF to use, please PM your email address.

Dear Neighbor,

I am an Iraq War Veteran and a XXXXXXXXXXX resident would like you to consider voting for Congressman Ron Paul in the upcoming California Republican Presidential Primary. Ron Paul is a 10-term U.S. Representative, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, and an OB/GYN physician who has delivered over 4,000 babies.

As a Sgt. in the U.S. Marine Corps, I was deployed to Iraq during the initial invasion in 2003. Working as a Civil Affairs NCO, I was able to speak with many Iraqis during my tour in An Nasiriyah, Al Kut, Al Hillah, Basrah, and Baghdad and while many were grateful that Saddam was gone, the majority hoped that our forces would leave soon. I asked them through an interpreter when they thought the coalition should leave their country and they would usually reply with “a few months, maybe a year.” Remember, this was almost 5 years ago. All of the Iraqis I met were very kind and hospitable people who, like us, just want their families to be safe and to hold a stable job. That is impossible while we occupy their country. Almost 4,000 of my military brothers and sisters have given their lives already. I believe it is now time for us to come home, and 71% of Iraqis in a recent poll agree. Ron Paul voted against the Iraq War Resolution in 2002, is the only major candidate to pledge that our troops will leave Iraq as fast and as safely as possible, and has received the most donations from active and retired military than any other candidate.

I swore an oath as a Marine to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so I am very concerned about the state of civil liberties in our nation. Due to the Patriot Act, my local library has a prominent sign displayed stating they must provide any record of our library activity to the FBI if asked. The federal government now also has the power to wiretap our phones and Internet without a warrant. And our current Attorney General refuses to state whether waterboarding is considered torture or not even though we prosecuted Japanese soldiers for war crimes when they waterboarded our POWs during WWII. Ron Paul voted against and would repeal the Patriot Act, and introduced the American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007, which would prohibit torture by the U.S., require warrants for domestic surveillance, and reinstate habeas corpus.

Another area of concern to me is our economy, especially the burgeoning federal deficit and out of control spending. Our national debt currently stands at $9.2 trillion, over 60% higher than it was about 8 years ago and growing by $1.5 billion a day. We spend hundreds of billions of dollars on nation-building and arming foreign countries while bridges collapse and cities flood in our country. And Social Security outlays are projected to exceed income by 2017 while Medicare assets will drop below expenditures in 2013. Ron Paul has never voted to increase taxes or for an unbalanced budget, will keep and invest more of our money at home, and introduced the Social Security Preservation Act to ensure that money paid into the system is only used for Social Security and the Senior Citizens Tax Elimination Act, which repeals all taxes on Social Security benefits.

Please join me in making an investment for our nation’s future by voting for Ron Paul in the Republican Presidential Primary on Tuesday, February 5th. You must register as a Republican by Tuesday, January 22nd (postmarked) to vote in the Republican Primary. Voter registration forms can be found at your local library and Post Office.

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration for Dr. Ron Paul. If you have any questions or want to help, I can be contacted at XXXXXXXXXXX. Together, we can truly make a difference for our future and our children’s future.

Warmest regards,

Find out more about Dr. Ron Paul at:

http://www.RonPaul2008.com/ • 1 (877) RON-PAUL • http://www.RonPaulLibrary.org/