PDA

View Full Version : RP supporters getting annoyed with each other?

dkim68
01-15-2008, 03:18 AM
I sent a message to a person in my area inviting and welcoming them to our newly formed local meetup group. Their response was "Why should I? Who are you to tell me what to do? Let people decide on their own and leave them alone!"

Personally I think for a movement to have strength, the more the merrier. Others I think are feeling there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Is this a normal side effect of grassroots movements? Is this happening in your neck of the woods?

nosebruise
01-15-2008, 03:23 AM
um.

its kinda hard to tell without getting the exact exchange.

either your message wasnt as inviting and welcoming as you said, or that person was just socially inept. most people wouldnt answer something courteous that way.

Agent CSL
01-15-2008, 03:23 AM
I have the 'Too many cooks in the kitchen' feeling. No one can do everything at once.
I ignore most Meetup emails I get now. :S

It's not that I'm trying to blow off the campaign. It's just that a lot of people have other things to do. And we are helping Ron Paul, but we just can't do everything. So we must ignore some of these sometimes. See my sig. v

trispear
01-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Hmmm.....

I have joined a meetup group back in July. The first time, I put the settings so that I get either so I get either 1 email a day or none at all (where I check the web page, forget which.) I kept getting all these emails, so I thought I made a mistake and resolved the settings again. Again, more emails, and again, reset the settings.

Either meetup.com ignores it or somehow the group/leaders bypass it, but I keep getting 25+ individual emails a day. It's to the point where I have to block the meetup mail as spam or just drop the account.

I imagine such a scenario must be annoying to some people although I don't know if that is what is happening here.

David805
01-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Trispear .. Contact the ADMIN of the site that is sending you all the mail. Explain what is going on. It might just be a problem with the Code.

Dave Pedersen
01-15-2008, 03:48 AM
NO ! Of course not !!

What an annoying opening post..

;)

eric_cartman
01-15-2008, 05:06 AM
ya... that's pretty much to be expected. the only grassroots movement i was ever involved in was the 9/11 truth movement. and you wouldn't believe the crap that goes on. i'm actually really surprised as how well everyone gets along and how much everyone accomplished. but it's pretty much expected that people within the movement will always think that they know best, and that only they are the ones truly knowledgeable about the issues, etc. but what's refreshing, is that for the most part, people are good, friendly and want to work together for a common cause. if people are being arogant, feel free to steer clear and work with other like minded people. don't let others hold you back... just do what you think is best and i think you'll find the majority of other people in the movement will help you out and work as a team. but ya, the ron paul movement is lucky to have so many people who treat eachother with such respect. in the 9/11 movement, all we aruge about is what hit the pentagon, what hit the twin towers, who are the CIA moles... . everyone thinks they have the right answer... but really, just trust yourself. if someone is giving you shit... there's no need to take it, just forget about it and find ron paul supporters who will help your efforts, not hinder them.

noztnac
01-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Like every group of people in the world, some Ron Paul supporters are jerks and others are cool.
Not everyone is going to react in exactly the way you would like them to. Work with the ones that want to be worked with and hope the others show up and vote. No use alienating them by being pushy.

losinglife
01-15-2008, 05:16 AM
could be he is just an asshole to begin with

mcgraw_wv
01-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Yes, I get SOOO many meetup emails, and they are all the same blaa... sign waving, envelope stuffing...

Sign waving is one of the least effective things to do for a campaign, and its the number one thing we do... plus we always seem to do it at candidates rallys, which will convert 0 voters...

Time for Change
01-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I have noticed that it can be a bit annoying to listen to several members claim their technique is the most effective or the ONLY way to be effective.
It is annoying, but one needs to accept responsibility for one's own involvement.
Choose the path / area of focus that is most suitable to your ability and follow through.
if there is experience / leadership in place for that specific type of campaign activity, get in line and learn the way the established leadership does things.
Once that is understood, then offer constructive and RESPECTFUL criticisim on making the effort MORE productive...only if your way actually IS more productive.
"This is the way we have done it for 50 years" does not cut it.
Thinking outside the box is effective if approached with common sense.

I follow the way our local leadership has done things, no problem, but in my "territory", where I am the ONLY person working, I am very familiar with the people and their way of thinking. I use my approach. Not because I think my way is better, but because my rural area is in no way similar in thinking, prosperity, opinion or involvement compared to the more affluent areas.
The issues they care about are widely diverse and more focused on the immigration and out of control welfare, where the "rich" areas could care less about those issues because they don't see it in their sheltered / priveleged daily lives.

I get very annoyed when the group gets sidetracked on issues that simply stall the process. I try to be diplomatic and look for opportunity to redirect the focus tactfully and respectfully to get everyone's mind back on the task at hand.
The power of suggestion goes a long way, believe it or not.

That said, YES there are a lot of cooks.
Every one of them has good intentions, no doubt.
The goal is to allow those people to zero in on their area of interest / experience and let them run.
It can work IF the alpha's can control their need to control...:rolleyes: