PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a political science degree?

jbrace
01-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm thinking about changing my degree from buisness to political science. I was wondering if any of you guys have gotten a degree in political science?

Grandson of Liberty
01-14-2008, 11:27 PM
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. :p

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
BS in Political Science.

Wonderful degree. It will open doors, don't worry.

jbrace
01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
hahaha that cracked me up

Goldwater Conservative
01-14-2008, 11:31 PM
You could always double major. I did, and am very glad I chose that route.

Anyway, poli sci can be great, but watch out for professors with an agenda.

Paulitical Correctness
01-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I too was considering it.

jbrace
01-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I think im gonna double major also. BUt dont worry about an agenda. I have mine. :cool:

RockEnds
01-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes.

jbrace
01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes.

Are you glad you gotten it? Do you do anthing involving politics? Besides support RP? lol

Rob
01-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm thinking about changing my degree from buisness to political science. I was wondering if any of you guys have gotten a degree in political science?

You should. I did, and I'm happy I made that decision. You can work at a libertarian think tank for awhile to promote the policies Ron Paul believes in! There are more out there than you think and they're shockingly well funded. They can actually pay you a competitive wage for doing something you believe in. You should check out the Cato Institute, they're all big Ron Paul fans there.

RockEnds
01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Are you glad you gotten it? Do you do anthing involving politics? Besides support RP? lol

Honestly, I mostly learned that I wanted no part of government as it currently exists--until this particular election rolled around. I went into computer sales after college. It paid better. But, I'm glad I got it. At least I'm not blind to what is happening and why.

jbrace
01-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah I understand why you wouldn't wanna be in politics.. But the way I look at it is if more young people dont start getting involved then nothings gonna change.

RockEnds
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe now is a good time to get involved. Maybe the pendulum is beginning to swing.

RonPizzle
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
POLS degrees offer skills in argumentation. Therefore, sales is popular. But if you don't wanna sale anything or work in government administration, you could always get a teaching certificate (if you have bachelors) and teach government. It'd be cool to put kids on the right track of political philosophies. Or you could get a masters degree and teach at small state universities.

What's most important is that you do not let money decide your career. Money will come so long as you yearn to do what you do; plus, you'll be happier doing what your prefer. So, do not let money drive your major, let your ideologies.

Alex Libman
01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
You'd be the only non-communist in the class...

Primbs
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
I would get a double major in business and political science. Business acumen is important for running political operations.

Imagine the Ron Paul campaign hadn't raised twenty million the last quarter where he would be.

"You can't save the world if you can't pay the rent."

RockEnds
01-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Politics is all about sales and advertising.

I started college wanting to be a high school English teacher. I took a class called "Political Thought" as an elective, and I was hooked. We read Plato, Moore, Locke, Hobbs, and Marx. I love Shakespeare, but I loved the political philosophers so much more.

Money wasn't the only factor in deciding my career after college, though. I got married a month after I graduated. My husband was Palestinian, and we married in Jordan. My world perspective changed, and my husband felt that politics was a dangerous career. I was offered a job in sales that paid more than anything I was offered in the political field, and I took the job. (Six years later, we divorced.)

I have to admit, though, that if this movement was beginning at that time, I would have just divorced earlier and persued the career in politics, anyway. Back then it was just something aides and staffers whispered about in the smokeroom. I bet they don't even have a smokeroom anymore. ;)

pinkmandy
01-15-2008, 01:18 AM
I have one and am only currently using it to understand and promote RP. I may look into the think tanks...good idea.